Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2011, 01:29 PM

265 posts, read 722,473 times

Advertisements

I was looking up utilities info and saw that the city provides (this is from their website) "Port Angeles Utilities provide power, water, sewer, recycling and garbage collection services. These services are only available to residents and businesses located inside the city limits."

So I have a few questions for anyone who could help:
1:What/who do people use for heating in PA? I assume the power mentioned above is just electricity.
2:Would love to hear from anyone who uses the electric BB heating about what your bills run for the year? And anyone who uses pellets, or whatever other sort of heating is typical within the city proper what that runs a month.
3:What does it usually run for water, sewer, garbage and electricity if you use it for that purpose only and not heating?

Just trying to do some budgeting. I should be signing a lease next week on a place in town so just trying to get a rough idea. I know this will vary by household size and so on just wondering what people are paying so I can get an average idea.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 10:23 AM

16 posts, read 49,480 times
My bill including recycling, yard waste, garbage, water, and power is around 225.00 a month for a large family.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:16 AM

576 posts, read 2,260,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrslovettstailor
So I have a few questions for anyone who could help:
1:What/who do people use for heating in PA? I assume the power mentioned above is just electricity.
Majority of heat in the homes here is electric augmented by wood- typically a fireplace or wood stove. Older homes tend to have baseboard electric. Many of the newer homes are putting in electric forced air heat pumps. Pellet stoves are encountered occasionally. Remember this is logging country so firewood is commonplace and easy to come by. Hence pellet stoves don't seem to be super popular (e.g. why buy pellets when split firewood is relatively cheap here?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrslovettstailor
2:Would love to hear from anyone who uses the electric BB heating about what your bills run for the year? And anyone who uses pellets, or whatever other sort of heating is typical within the city proper what that runs a month.
This will totally depend upon usage, size of your family and size of the house (of course! ). I'm just going to agree with the above post and say that a ballpark figure of about $200-$230 a month for your city utilities would be about right. Some months a bit less, some months a bit more.

We travel extensively and are gone from this particular home of ours frequently. As an example, if we're gone for a month with the heat pump thermostat set at 60 in conjunction with minimal water usage, our bill can be on the order of $130 or $150 for that month. If it's winter time here (you know anytime between October and May! ) and we've just returned from some warm location and are running the heat non-stop as we're waiting to re-acclimatize, then our bill may be more like $230 or $250. (For my wife and I as our kids are grown)

Water usage tends to be the biggest segment of our utilities bill, especially during the summer months, but we are the odd ducks that water our lawn via built in sprinklers during the summer. Many choose to let their lawns brown down during the summertime so the water portion of their bill would be less. Also, you will have a choice between every week garbage pick up vs. every other week garbage pick up.

You could also call the City Utilities dept. and get a feel for average usage: City of Port Angeles - Utility Information Center main page

Last edited by Dendrite; 05-25-2011 at 12:09 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 05-25-2011, 01:31 PM

576 posts, read 2,260,733 times
Duplicate post.

Somehow hit the submit button twice! Removed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
View detailed profiles of: