Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 03:00 AM

4 posts, read 9,466 times

Advertisements

we are moving to yakima in the first part of april and i am curious to see what positive things people can say about the area. i read a lot of negative opinions and frankly, the posters who tend to post them seem a bit ignorant and/or prejudiced. i'm not worried about living near or among hispanic people.
my husband will be working in toppenish and we will live in yakima proper.

that being said, i have a 13 year old daughter who i want to go to a decent school. i'm wondering if any parents out there, who might have a similar view and less paranoid/fear based mentality, can give some tips about raising a kid in yakima.

we are coming from a very conservative/racist place (rural western nebraska) and are frankly just tired of that sort of thinking. we can't wait to get to know the area and meet some new people. i know there are folks like that everywhere, and that's fine, but we want to move on.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 02:00 PM

4 posts, read 7,752 times
I know one good thing about the High School there is that they offer an IB degree. Your daughter may be a couple of years away from her junior year in HS but it is definitely a positive!

Old 03-14-2011, 03:11 PM

19,166 posts, read 16,588,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethany123 View Post
we are moving to yakima in the first part of april and i am curious to see what positive things people can say about the area. i read a lot of negative opinions and frankly, the posters who tend to post them seem a bit ignorant and/or prejudiced. i'm not worried about living near or among hispanic people.
my husband will be working in toppenish and we will live in yakima proper.

that being said, i have a 13 year old daughter who i want to go to a decent school. i'm wondering if any parents out there, who might have a similar view and less paranoid/fear based mentality, can give some tips about raising a kid in yakima.

we are coming from a very conservative/racist place (rural western nebraska) and are frankly just tired of that sort of thinking. we can't wait to get to know the area and meet some new people. i know there are folks like that everywhere, and that's fine, but we want to move on.

I don't have anything to offer about the area because I've never lived in or around it. What I wanted to say is that most people who make negative statements will tend to be unhappy no matter where they live. While every place has positives and negatives, your experience there is what you make of it. Unless someone can offer proof that a place isn't good, you should just take their comment as a personal opinion and not fact. I think Washington, as a whole, is a beautiful state and offers much in activities, culture and education. All the best to you, bethany.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:19 PM

17,158 posts, read 56,905,862 times
You may not want to live in the city limits, typically you would get a better overall deal in the nearby suburbs. Take a look at Selah, for example. The problems with *** are not all racially driven, the city government itself is not so well run. Unfortunately the better parts of *** are on the other side of town from Toppenish. The northwest part of town is the nicest part, although no part of town is completely free of gang activity. I like *** and visit several businesses there regularly, or fairly regularly - but there is no point telling you it's all wine and roses when it in fact ain't.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:32 PM

well, like a previous poster said, it's what you make of it, and i have made lemonade out of lemons for years! we'll be fine i was just curious what some folks who live there like to do and where they like to hang out for family type activities.
we are coming from a place where there are literally so many racist, homophobic, super duper conservatives that i will be happy anywhere! i love the landscape and outdoor activities, i guess i just wanted to hear some cool options from people who know it best and who make the best out of it.
peace and thanks for the responses!

Old 03-15-2011, 02:17 PM

17,158 posts, read 56,905,862 times
Well the downtown area around 1st and Yakima Ave is decent, several good restaurants at many different price points, couple of good book stores, a wine bar, sort of gentrified/yuppified. The big theater is there too, they have concerts and the occasional play.I don't know about the public schools - probably those serving the north-west part of town are better, since it's a more prosperous area.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:18 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,661 posts, read 57,789,143 times
A 13 yr old should be seriously looking into Running Start Program (http://www.yvcc.edu/FutureStudents/AcademicOptions/HSS/RunningStart/Pages/default.aspx - broken link)
East Valley School District 90 - Yakima, Washington (http://www.evsd90.org/evhs/runningstart.php - broken link)

Need to test when you are ~age 15. Works for many, especially girls who are focused and academic. Makes a big difference for those bound for medical school. ($$ + edu)

There will be some great areas of Yakima, but as mentioned NW is best. I can fix you up with a person who has lived there many years and is kind, and full of info and help.

I have lived in rural western NE (Sandhills, Panhandle, and SW) as well as nearby CO and WY regions + worked harvest and construction in KS and SD. Yakima and WA in general will give you plenty of diversity and acceptance.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:00 AM

thanks so much folks!

Old 03-21-2011, 11:47 PM

4 posts, read 11,550 times
Ya, I live in Yakima in the West Valley area. This consists of some pretty schools and is not located in the ghetto areas. I attend West Valley Highschool and it's a good school.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:29 PM

348 posts, read 1,049,473 times
Thanks to Bethany123 for asking for the positive things.

What's about Ellensburg, WA? Good living? Good traffic flow between Ellensburg and Yakima?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington