Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2011, 05:16 PM

3 posts, read 14,860 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks,

We are looking to move to Ellensburg due to my wife's jobs.

On my side, I can only find job in seattle area, so might need to commute / live there.

I was wondering if such option is possible? Any suggestions/help/pointers?

Is commute from ellensburg/seattle possible? Any idea if its possible to find carpool options?

Thanks.
RamSham
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 07:08 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,047,755 times
It's possible and maybe not horrible for 3 seasons, but during the winter it will get old quick. What do each of you do, professionally? Is telecommuting, at least part of the time, an option?

Keep in mind if your wife has a regular job with benefits, you could go on her benefits and do something higher risk/higher reward, for example being a real estate agent (just one example, not sure if this job would be a good fit for you!)

Biggest industries in E-burg are the college and agriculture. Can you find something in either field?

Old 04-18-2011, 09:41 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,038,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsham View Post
Hi Folks,

We are looking to move to Ellensburg due to my wife's jobs.

On my side, I can only find job in seattle area, so might need to commute / live there.

I was wondering if such option is possible? Any suggestions/help/pointers?

Is commute from ellensburg/seattle possible? Any idea if its possible to find carpool options?

Thanks.
RamSham
Go to the Safeway parking lot in Cle Elum on a weekday morning. Ride sharing from there.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:56 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,660,903 times
There was another thread on this, but generally, from mid-October through mid-April, I-90 is a crapshoot over Snoqualmie Pass. There are many days when it will be snow-covered. One thing that has changed over the years is that in the past they would slap a chains-requirement on and keep the pass open, in recent years they just close it down completely. Sometimes for avalanche control, other times just to keep ill-prepared drivers off the road.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:34 AM

Thanks for the replies.

>>> What do each of you do, professionally? Is telecommuting, at least part of the time, an option?
Yes, telecommuting should be available. I have a govt job now, but would be looking around in that area once we are there.

>>> Biggest industries in E-burg are the college and agriculture. Can you find something in either field?
I will try to find something there, but I don't have any experience in any of these. College might work, will need to see.

>>> Go to the Safeway parking lot in Cle Elum on a weekday morning. Ride sharing from there.
Is this some permanent arrangement or ad-hoc? If I would do this commute regularly, having a permanent arrangement would be more desirable, as you can imagine.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:53 PM

2 posts, read 9,395 times
If you don't mind driving it is usually not a bad commute. About 1.5hrs each way from Eburg to the west side. The worse issue is when they close the pass for snow, generally caused by the big rigs not chaining up and clogging the roads so they are not passable. I commute from the west side to the top of Snoqualmie Pass daily and also to Yakima from here (family) so I'm VERY familiar with that commute. There is summer construction that goes on which is annoying for now, but it won't last forever.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:35 AM

I have done hourly commuting in public transit but not in car. Will need to figure out how that would work :-)

If I can find a reliable carpool partner that would be fantastic

Old 04-22-2011, 06:24 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,047,755 times
Just to throw it out there, Greyhound stops in E-burg and goes on to Seattle. Probably carpooling from Safeway is more practical, but, it's an option.

Back last time gas was up to $4, I took the Grey Dog from Sunnyside (where DW dropped me off) over to Seattle to recover the Toyota (had been stolen). While there were a few people on the bus I would not have particularly sought out as social contacts, by and large the bus was full of "regular folks" who for whatever reason needed a cheap ride to Seattle.

Old 05-18-2011, 04:30 PM

6 posts, read 18,881 times
There's an "Airporter" shuttle that stops in Ellensburg and goes to Seattle 5 times per day. It seems nicer and more reliable than Greyhound:
http://www.airporter.com

The weather can be brutal on Snoqualmie, not to mention the trip expenses add up quickly. Some people do it though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington