Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 02:20 PM

174 posts, read 937,948 times

Advertisements

In Spokane, I don't think you would want to live downtown. I asked my landlord about it and he said it was very bad. Although...I think they are going to be redoing it and putting in some condos and trying to shape it up. Right now, walking alone in downtown Spokane would be a very bad idea from what I have read in the paper and heard from other people. The local paper here always announces when a sex offender is released here and usually they are moving downtown. The most recent one was a scarier one, young man after very young children.

We all only have our own perspective to go on. I came to this site often before we moved here and heavily relied on it for information since I didn't know much about Spokane. I saw nothing about any of the things I have experienced so I want other people to know what I wish I had known before. And my perspective is Missoula, Montana and Eugene, Oregon as far as cities go. Maybe just being so much larger is what makes Spokane seem so bad to us.

I figure there must be something positive in moving around, being able to share with other people. It's funny now when I look at posts in Montana and all the talk about problems with growth and crowding. From their perspective Montana has become crowded but that comes from a basis of 5 people per square mile in the state. Once a person has gone somewhere more crowded the viewpoint changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 02:22 PM

174 posts, read 937,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmontag View Post
Visit Detroit. That will convince you it's not awful.
Amen to that! I bet that is SO true. I have neighbors who came from California and talk about how much better Spokane is. It is really all in what a person likes too.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:30 PM

9 posts, read 45,452 times
Washington is awesome.
There is water nearby.
There are mountains nearby.
There are a lot of activities for just about every hobby out there.
Yeah there are negatives but that is true of any city and state.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:38 PM

355 posts, read 988,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmontag View Post
Visit Detroit. That will convince you it's not awful.
Detroit...funny (lol)....think I'll pass on that one.....maybe for a super bowl. I would like to see Mackinec, though, heard it's really pretty.

Old 08-03-2007, 12:39 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,587 posts, read 57,536,124 times
WA is quite diverse in climate, economy and population. It is probably one of the most 'accepting' places, tho your mileage may vary.

You should be able to find a place in WA that fits, but it will be rare to find one that is unbearable (which is quite possible most places). Spend some time on the other forums and you will find WA forum to be pretty accepting also. The forum to the south is pretty polarized and has a 'protectionist' stance. (as in - be careful on that forum, or your toast - as so many ex- great posters with a wealth of information to share have found out...)
This is similar to WA difference, just look around and find a spot that fits, take advice, and be wary; as crime / meth can be a problem anywhere. If you keep your eyes and ears open, you will find a spot that fits, and be pretty happy AND accepted. The PNW does not often have the social warmth of a close community, but it also does not often have exclusive nature, or racial / social problems. It is fairly well represented politically, but pretty left in general, due to the majority of vote living on the left side of the Mtns. It's a struggle for the right leaners (and business owners / farmers), but they tough it out (and pay most of the state taxes). It is much easier to be an employee in WA than an employer. (having just survived another 'reporting' quarter , My crime-inee, how's a person supposed to have time to work, filing all these forms?

You'll be fine

Old 08-03-2007, 08:14 AM

355 posts, read 988,806 times
Thanks to everyone for all the positive WA feedback...now I can't wait to get out there and have alook around!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington