Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 11:56 AM

109 posts, read 322,077 times

Advertisements

At the time of my previous posts, it was uncertain whether my wife and I were moving to Washington State. However, my wife just received PCS orders to Ft. Lewis and it is official. As a current federal employee, I am hoping to secure employment at Ft. Lewis or Bremerton Naval Base.

Here's the dillema........
Best case scenario I will have secured employment prior to our arrival thus allowing us to pick a location that suits both of our needs (commute wise).

Worse case scenario......I will not have secured employment prior to arrival and will have to pick a location taking into account that I MAY end up working at Bremerton.

We had out hearts set on Dupont but due to the uncertainty of where I will land a job, we are considering University Place.

1. Is UP a doable commute to Ft Lewis & Bremerton?
2. How is the traffic and where would the bottlenecks be located? We are use to DC traffic so is the traffic gridlock, bumper-to-bumper, or just slow moving?
3. Is there a specific location or area in UP that we should avoid?
4. If not UP, is there a better location that would accommodate my wife definitely working at Ft Lewis and myself HOPEFULLY at Ft. Lewis but "possibly" at Bremerton?

We are mid 30ish professionals that desire tons of amenities such as restaurants, entertainment, shopping, arts, culture, etc. But we do not require a night life.

You all have been a big help so far and we look forward to calling Washington home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 04:50 PM

What is the secret to a flurry of responses? Did I forget to say please? LOL. Please Please Please A military family needs your help.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:26 PM

248 posts, read 452,039 times
I can't answer your questions but the lack of immediate replies is probably because it's Friday and the weather is sunny. I hope you get tons of replies and have a great move!

Old 04-29-2011, 07:32 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,182,780 times
I will answer but from a biased point of view. I don't like town.

Dupont last I saw was ok. Olympia area in "my" opinion maybe best for you for some night life (little but more choices) Tacoma area - good and bad but most part has improved dramitically. Yelm area is great cheaper rural area (house for rent at moment that usually rents to army) but has a long commute to east gate - (Roy gate people much quicker). Olympia area on I-5 bottlenecks. It would be difficult to make both happy for commute so someone has to suffer. Good luck

Old 04-29-2011, 07:47 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,167,557 times
University Place is right between the two and not a bad commute to
the Fort (worse to Bremerton). Crime in University Place is about 3 times higher than Dupont, however.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:01 PM

541 posts, read 2,138,362 times
We live in DuPont and love it here! My husband is 2 miles from his office which is just inside the DuPont gate. UP wont be a bad commute for your wife for the most part (going home there will be traffic), but for you to go to Bremerton, you'll have to go over the Narrows Bridge, which can get quite backed up. Actually, even to get to the bridge will be bad, unless you take the back roads, and that will add time to your commute. With that being said, I hope that you will be able to get a job at FL as well

As far as the traffic, I've been to DC in rush hour, and we are not that bad here! It slows, sometimes to stop and go, but nothing like the DC area!

Old 04-29-2011, 08:25 PM

Thanks for all of your replies. It seems we are in a pickle and like nwcountrygal said, someone has to suffer. I don't mind taking the bulk of the commute as long as we know living in UP is as middle as we can get. Gig Harbor has been highly recommended but doesn't seem to be suitable for early 30ish couple.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:15 AM

541 posts, read 2,138,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south_east2west View Post
Thanks for all of your replies. It seems we are in a pickle and like nwcountrygal said, someone has to suffer. I don't mind taking the bulk of the commute as long as we know living in UP is as middle as we can get. Gig Harbor has been highly recommended but doesn't seem to be suitable for early 30ish couple.
Gig Harbor would not be a good commute for your wife, especially in the afternoon. I always look at it like this - most Soldiers have to get up and be to formation/PT at 6:15 am. By the time they are done with their day, it's normally between 5-6 pm. Adding a long commute adds to an already long day and I am not willing to do that to my husband. JMHO, but I wouldn't do Gig Harbor.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:55 AM

850 posts, read 3,716,773 times
I think University Place would be a good option for both of you. Someone said the commute from UP to Bremerton was bad, but I disagree. They just built the new bridge and the traffic is not a problem now. Yes, it is a farther distance, but you will not hit any traffic. The biggest concern for you would probably be the $4 toll going over the Narrows Bridge into Gig Harbor (but if you lived in Gig Harbor your wife would be paying it to go to FL). Traffic is hellish on Fridays on I5, especially heading south. But I believe the traffic is better heading north, which is what your wife would do.

I agree that Gig Harbor would not fit you. UP and North Tacoma would both be good options.

Old 04-30-2011, 04:58 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,922,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobefobik View Post
I think University Place would be a good option for both of you. Someone said the commute from UP to Bremerton was bad, but I disagree. They just built the new bridge and the traffic is not a problem now. Yes, it is a farther distance, but you will not hit any traffic. The biggest concern for you would probably be the $4 toll going over the Narrows Bridge into Gig Harbor (but if you lived in Gig Harbor your wife would be paying it to go to FL). Traffic is hellish on Fridays on I5, especially heading south. But I believe the traffic is better heading north, which is what your wife would do.
I believe the toll is only $2.75 with a toll pass (I know someone will correct me if I'm wrong...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington