Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2011, 06:46 PM

291 posts, read 1,061,553 times

Advertisements

My husband (25) and I(29) would like to relocate to the West coast when he is out of the Army in a year. We are not from the South and hate it here. Besides, we have the Army that will move is anywhere in the USA. He will be going to community college, then university. I will be working for a year and then possible going back to school as well.

We need to find a place that we can survive in comfortably during this time. He will have rent paid by the Army when he is in school. I'm just not sure if he is going to have every together by the time we move, so I'm not sure if he'll be going to school right away or not.

I have an associates in business management and work experience in customer service call centers (health insurance, collections, telecom industries), reception/clerk and retail. My husband was in the volunteer fire dept in some small town in Montana and has restaurant experience along with his army job armament repairer.

The plan is that I will move down around March 2012 to find a job and place to live before he is out. We'll basically have a student budget, having to live cheap. We have 2 dogs. We should have a bit of money saved up, I'm hoping at least 5k.

I have no idea where we should move? He was first thinking Seattle or somewhere close by and I was thinking Portland, WA. Tacoma came up because he has an uncle there but he will be leaving the country Aug 2012. I've also haven't heard the best things about that city. I'm just at a loss of where to look. I've never been to the West coast and know nothing about it (I'm Canadian from Ottawa, Ontario).

The weather isn't a huge concern. I'm seriously tired of the heat and sun after living here for 2.5 years. I just want to make sure we can move somewhere that I can find a job that will support us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 11:14 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa82 View Post

I have no idea where we should move? He was first thinking Seattle or somewhere close by and I was thinking Portland, WA. Tacoma came up because he has an uncle there but he will be leaving the country Aug 2012. I've also haven't heard the best things about that city. I'm just at a loss of where to look. I've never been to the West coast and know nothing about it (I'm Canadian from Ottawa, Ontario).
Hey... give Tacoma a chance. There are definitely bad areas in Tacoma, but the entire city itself isn't too bad. There are trendy areas in the DT Tacoma area that are very affordable and do offer lots of transportation to Seattle DT (buses and trains). There are also areas around Tacoma that are equally safe.

One thing about the Washington is that there are a lot of Community colleges around... and a good number of Universities/Colleges as well. There's jobs to be found.

Ultimately it boils down to what exactly are you looking for. Big City, small town? Location: More mountains, land, or more ocean/sound? School Programs, and et. c. With Portland, I personally would give a thumbs down just because of the income tax. But someone could very well point out No sales tax (in OR). Pick your poison.

Don't stress it out, everything will come together.

Last edited by Inkpoe; 06-01-2011 at 11:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
View detailed profiles of: