Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2011, 12:30 PM

2 posts, read 2,276 times

Advertisements

Hello forum have some questions and need some advice. I have a family Wife in the medical field, 12 year old, 3 year old and a Great Dane. My job is offering to relocate me from Fort Worth TX to Northern Washington (Burlington Area) so my questions are:
What is the area like?
What are the best areas to live close to Burlington or in the town? I dont mind driving a little 15 to 45 miles.
What are the schools like?
What should i know, be weary of, or excited about?
I know its a pretty open questions but just trying to put together a picture of what life is like in that part of the country so feel free to give me any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 04:24 PM

8,389 posts, read 8,597,071 times
Hard to say what might be the best area to live for you without a few more clues about priorities beyond schools.

Would you normally prefer to be in town, in suburbia or the countryside?
Have you ever lived in a modest sized town or city or a rural area before?
Would prefer to be near the Puget Sound, on farm land or in the forest / near the mountains? If you are planning on buying a house, what general price range are you looking for?

Do you want / need the shopping & services of a moderate sized metro (Bellingham or Everett) to be close enough to use pretty much any day without making it a fairly major outing? Do you want to take advantage of big city entertainment, shopping & services on the weekends often (and thus may want to be closer to Seattle or Vancouver BC)?

With more clues, I and / or others may have some suggestions.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:10 PM

2 posts, read 2,276 times
sub or country side. I live in a large sub area of DFW (around 350000, people) so i am used to being close to all the action, but am ready to slow it down a little for my family. I don't plan to buy a house right away, thinking of either renting a small to medium house (1300 to 1800 sq.) or an apt for the first year to make sure the transplant fits and if so will be looking at the 150,000 to 200,000 range for a house. I think would like to be close to the sea, but not necessarily on it-within a short drive-since all we have here is farm land and plains, it would be nice for a mountain view and or some forest also i understand that cost plays a major factor in all these nice options. I don't want to be so far away that i have to make a day trip to go see a movie or go grocery shopping. I am more concerned now with the quality of me and my family's life. I hope this helps a little more. If not just ask

Old 06-08-2011, 06:39 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,565 posts, read 57,493,759 times
Your choices to access views, shopping, & recreation will be very good in that area.

Take heed to this thread //www.city-data.com/forum/washi...g-home-wa.html

You DO NOT want to get stuck in a shady, cold and musty house / apartment. Go for LOTS oF Light.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:14 PM

8,389 posts, read 8,597,071 times
If your family is both used to the conveniences & choices of bigger cities and prefers it strongly over relying on a small city and you are willing to commute to work, then maybe renting a place in Bellingham or southern Whatcom (or northern Skagit county) might be a somewhat cautious transitional approach. Bellingham would be the closest thing to Fort Worth in northern Washington. Close to Bellingham would also closer to more medical related jobs. I'd guess Bellingham / Whatcom county would probably tend to have schools with a bit more funding and maybe more high achievers than in Skagit county.

Buying a place later in the $150,000 to $200,000 range will be challenging, especially in Whatcom county where the median average sale price may be closer to $250,000 or more if my data is outdated. I don't know any details of this specific area but the Alger area of northern Skagit had a listed median average sale price of about $160,000. That area is about halfway between Burlington and Bellingham with almost all of it on Interstate. Maybe that would be an acceptable compromise? If you think Bellingham or Whatcom county school are preferable maybe you try to stay up there instead. Houses close to the water will generally be much more expensive.

Last edited by NW Crow; 06-08-2011 at 07:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington