Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2011, 02:50 PM

332 posts, read 1,621,058 times

Advertisements

Lived there 1998 - 2003. Last time I was there was 2005. Still keep thinking in back of my mind of maybe going back one day. What's new, better, worse, the same, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 12:45 PM

238 posts, read 863,455 times
I would say there has been some ups & downs. The most changes since 2005 would probably be development in and around downtown. New condos and townhomes during the real estate boom. Although they did take a big hit with the recession. Some stalled projects are being converted to apartments. Rentals are doing good though with a low 3.8% vacancy rate in downtown. There has been a lot of new retail going in in downtown and 6th Ave over the past year or so, that is a good sign. It is still small business retail going in and not national stores. Downtown is getting a grocery store that should open this Summer. You have to pay to park in downtown now. The LeMay Car Museum is under-construction next to the Tacoma dome.

During the real estate boom a lot of homes were remodeled in Hilltop and Central Tacoma so those areas have improved. East Tacoma still has a bad wrap but I don't go over there often so not sure if is totally justified (East Tacoma is a pretty big area to say its generally bad everywhere). A change I have seen is the Hispanic population has increased alot in East Tacoma. Where there used to be a small Hispanic node of businesses on McKinley Ave around 40th, Pacific Ave. is now full of Hispanic restaurants and shops. Salishan is totally different, everything is new (homes, streets, etc)

You see less change in the more established neighborhoods in North Tacoma and the West End.

Overall crime has been going down every year. For instance overall crime so far this year is down 19% compared to the same time last year.

I think its still improving but things have slowed a bit, like everywhere else, with the recession.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington