Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 04:49 PM

6 posts, read 59,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
The other thing to keep in mind is that it's possible you'd have a long warning lead time, in the case of a distant source at just the right angle, but it's also possible so that you'd have scant minutes.

Concerning the latter (in terms of minutes):
Quote:
...The Cascadia subduction zone, a 680-mile fault that runs 50 miles off the coast of the Pacific Northwest -- from Cape Mendocino in California to Vancouver Island in southern British Columbia...Scientists say a rupture along the Cascadia fault would cause the sea floor to bounce 20 feet or more, setting off powerful ocean waves relatively close to shore. The first waves could hit coastal communities in 30 minutes or less -- too rapidly for the current warning systems to save lives.
The quote is pulled from this article (old article, first hit on a google search):
Tsunami-Generating Earthquake Near U.S. Possibly Imminent | LiveScience
Apparently, major earthquakes happen, on average, every 300 years. Guess when the last one was?

Wikipedia says major earthquake events have occurred every 300-900 years (590 year average) with the last one in 1700.
1700 Cascadia earthquake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Personally, I love the area and the thing that makes me hesitate moving there is difficulty making a decent living; not tsunamis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 04:55 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
Thew new warning system can go off a lot faster than that. And a large off-shore subduction quake does not mean a massive tsunami is an inevitable consequence.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:04 PM
LMB

405 posts, read 1,892,427 times
I've seen tsunami warning signs along the coast in Port Townsend, but we don't have any signs like that in Poulsbo along the Liberty Bay waterfront. When I asked my son-in-law (a Seattle native) about it, he laughed and said tsunami's don't turn corners--and that Poulsbo wouldn't need evacuation signs. Is that true? I'm too embarrassed to ask any of the locals here.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB View Post
I've seen tsunami warning signs along the coast in Port Townsend, but we don't have any signs like that in Poulsbo along the Liberty Bay waterfront. When I asked my son-in-law (a Seattle native) about it, he laughed and said tsunami's don't turn corners--and that Poulsbo wouldn't need evacuation signs. Is that true? I'm too embarrassed to ask any of the locals here.
No, it's not true. Anywhere low near the water has a chance of tsunami - it just takes the right conditions, such as shallowing or a narrowing. There have been tsunamis caused by earthquake-induced landslides in places that hadn't been considered a direct risk.

If you are at the beach on the west coast, even if it's an inlet or protected bay, it's always a good idea to keep a way out or up in the back of your head. Not in panic or fear, just the way you watch your gas tank level to make sure it's not empty.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:53 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,825,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
...a large off-shore subduction quake does not mean a massive tsunami is an inevitable consequence.
True, but it does mean that most of the structures and infrastructure in Western Washington will be destroyed.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
True, but it does mean that most of the structures and infrastructure in Western Washington will be destroyed.
No, it doesn't. Destruction depends entirely on duration, type and direction of movement, what the subsurface conditions are underneath any building. Certainly there are higher risk structures - bridges, overpasses, anything built on dredge fill, buildings which haven't been retrofitted. Looking at other large earthquakes, damage can be severe in one place and almost non-existent in another, depending on a number of conditions.

Counting on being one of the undamaged places, though, is probably not a good idea. Certainly a homeowner can do a number of things to limit damage, and all of those are worth doing as a preventive measure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington