Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 03:26 PM

10 posts, read 35,094 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm going to be relocating to Tacoma in two weeks. I'm starting over there as a single mom with four kids--18 to 3 years old. I'm not too worried about school because they attend a virtual school online.

I do want to get them out and about so I'm interested in taking them places. Can someone clue me in to some activities and places there?

Also, I'll be living on N 11th street (close to Wilson). When I went to check out my house, it looked like a good neighborhood. Does this area get a check-mark? What about the public transportation system there? It's going to be a while before I can get a car.

Crime...how is it really? I live in Jacksonville, Florida now and it's really, really bad here. There's no way I'd ever tell someone to move here. Daily shootings and often more than one murder each week. And unlike how things used to be, all too often you don't have to be "involved" with the wrong people to get killed.

Thanks for the feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 01:02 PM

5 posts, read 5,877 times
the crime is BAD in Tacoma..I've had my car's back window get shot out when I was driving down this street! A stray bullet out of no where from a drive-by shooting the police thought. I suggest you choose another city...Ive had bad experiences there..the auto-theft rate is also very high there..One of the highest in the nation they said in the USA Today last weekend.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:12 PM

850 posts, read 3,717,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomomi View Post
the crime is BAD in Tacoma..I've had my car's back window get shot out when I was driving down this street! A stray bullet out of no where from a drive-by shooting the police thought. I suggest you choose another city...Ive had bad experiences there..the auto-theft rate is also very high there..One of the highest in the nation they said in the USA Today last weekend.
RedQueen please don't be worried after reading this post because it's simply not true. I'm guessing that Tomomi fabricated this story or was dealing drugs in the area causing this to happen to him.

The area you have picked is very good and you will like it. Proctor is a great street just for strolling around, looking at galleries, etc. Your kids will love Point Defiance Park, the zoo there, and Ruston way is a great place to walk, bike, rollerblade, or jog along the waterfront.

Tacoma has improved so much over the last few years and people give it a bad name because of how it USED to be. The mill is gone so it doesn't stink anymore, downtown is being revitalized, so it's simply a better city nowadays. There are a lot of other posts on Tacoma so I suggest you look at those to get more information. But know that a lot of people talk about how bad Tacoma is when they really have never lived there (or been there) and are basing their opinions solely on what they've been told.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:11 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
You can check out Family events calendar, directory and information for parents and kids in Seattle, Tacoma, and Bellevue, Washington. It's not limited to Tacoma, but also includes the Seattle area as well.

Tacoma public transit is decent and a lot of people in Tacoma do use it.

When you finally do get a car, do take your kids to the Northwest Trek. Pretty cool.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:08 PM

2 posts, read 11,109 times
RedQueen, you are moving to a nice area. You will be fine. There are lots to do as a family.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:35 PM

238 posts, read 866,098 times
Tacoma Summer Events Calendar: http://cms.cityoftacoma.org/CRO/summerevents2011.pdf

Old 07-07-2011, 10:20 PM

Thanks for the feedback you guys! I do appreciate it.

I've seen some of the threads on how bad crime is in Tacoma and it does make me a little leery. However, coming from Jacksonville, Fl, a city would have to be more like Detroit to be "worse".

Couple of questions: good pediatrician and good internist?

Old 07-10-2011, 06:01 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,582,247 times
RedQueen, don't worry much about what you hear. There are two VERY different Tacoma's. The Tacoma in which you will be living is very nice. Unfortunately, the Tacoma people hear about is what is most peoples perception of the city. I lived in North Tacoma with my wife and child for two years and liked it.

Jefferson Park near Proctor and N. 9th Street is a great place to take the kids in the summer. It has a wading pool with sprinklers and such.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:30 PM

5 posts, read 11,883 times
RedQueen, I've been in Tacoma for about 34 years now so I'll break it down for you!

The Wilson area is a pretty decent part of town so no worries there. Violent crime really isn't a concern where you'll be at however all of north Tacoma is known for car prowling. It's not a big deal just don't leave any valuables in your car at night. I think it's just kids doing it not hardened gangsters or anything like that but it has been known to be an issue, so keep that in mind! There's lots of families and nice parks in your area so you and the kids should have a good time there!

Back in the 80's Tacoma had a pretty bad crime problem but the city has cleaned up tremendously since then. Reputations are hard to shake though! Tacoma's main industrial area is right next to the freeway so people driving by who have never been here only see the ugly part of town and base their opinions around that. Sure, there's a bad neighborhood or two but that can be said of pretty much every city in America. I walk the streets of Tacoma without fear, so should you!

That being said, Tacoma is a great location to live in the Puget Sound area. Seattle is just up the road ($3 bus ride!) if you want to visit but you won't be paying Seattle prices down here, cost of living is much lower. Also if you want to visit the Olympic Peninsula (it's stunningly beautiful out there) we have the Narrows bridges so it's very convenient, no long ferry rides or drives around the Sound!

Another plus that not many people mention is Tacoma's excellent public utilities. Power outages are extremely rare, The city's water supply is piped directly from the Green River way up in the mountains so it's clean and fresh (unless you have a house with old pipes!) which is nice for a city this size. The city offers things like free curbside trash pick up (for old furniture and the like) and the fire department offers free CPR training to all residents! The city also operates it's own cable TV company that's pretty good if you'd like your money to stay in the area.

Public transportation is so-so. There is a bus system that is run by the county but they've been hit with budget cuts lately so service isn't all that great. I wouldn't call it bad, you just really have to do some planning ahead to get around that way. It's called "Pierce Transit" if you'd like to look up their schedules and stuff.

Other than the weather which may come as a shock to you after living in Florida I'll bet you'll have a great time in T-Town! Welcome to the neighborhood!

Old 07-21-2011, 06:30 PM

Good news: We are here in Tacoma!

It is a big change from Florida weather wise. Running the heater in the summer...wow...

Bad news: The work on our rental was left mostly undone. We cannot stay in the house in this condition (nor do I trust the property manager to get things done after dealing with them several times). So, I'm looking for a new place.

Junett Street. How is this area?

I saw one in Fircrest, too, but I hear the utilities are a killer there.

Advice anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington