Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 07:31 PM

534 posts, read 3,110,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
For anybody curious to know what Olympia is like, this virtual tour gives a real nice impression. I hope it will prompt a visit.
That's a nice tour - it does show what Olympia looks like in the Summer time for two months. It really is a beautiful area during that period, and is what lured me to the area.

As a warning, people should visit and stay for at least a week or two to get a feel for the area (especially between October-May). What the video doesn't show the existing problems of the downtown (homeless, child molestors, drug addicts), including the general blase' the town emanates most of the time. Personally I would not recommend Olympia city limits to anyone with young children.

Having said that, Olympia is way better than most of the heavily populated areas in Western Washington. It's like the south sound's Bellingham as far as making a similar comparison, except it rains more and is typically warmer.

And of course, for those who have forgotten, prepare yourself for the neverending overcast/rain 9-10 months out of the year. In the winter of 05-06, we had one stretch of rainy days for 27 days in a row where I don't think the sun was seen once. It wasn't just that fine mist either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 08:26 PM

355 posts, read 990,414 times
OK Chris....so where do you recommend in Western Wa and why? As long as it's not too rural. I am concerned with all the postings about the creeps in downtown Olympia. What about Kitsap peninsula?

Old 08-11-2007, 08:44 PM

Silverdale/Poulsbo is a yes on my list for families, especially if you need a more populated area (conveniences like big box stores/malls,etc).

I live in Mason county and it is the best fit for what's imporant to me, although it may be too rural for most (45 minutes to anything bigger than Walmart).

Olympia would be a really great area if it wasn't the capitol (imo). I was disappointed that it didn't turn out better. I wouldn't discourage people from moving right outside of the city though (Lacey, Yelm, Tenino, Rochester), but to take everything into consideration before making the move. Spending time in the predominately off season should be a requirement.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:13 PM

355 posts, read 990,414 times
Thanks Chris....the only problem is we don't have a lot of time...we are being relocated soon. We will have a couple of short trips out there to look around...but I really need to narrow this search field down. I have looked at real estate in Poulsbo (on internet) and it did look encouraging. I think my problem is that we can live anywhere on the western side of WA...big area to cover but I don't want to spend over 300. I like the country but am used to living with conveniences and don't think I can give that up. I do want to be where I feel is safe though... The reason Kitsap and Olympia are two areas I've been focusing in on is because I'm definitely drawn to the water....I lived 2 miles from the Atlantic for 15 years!!!!

Old 08-12-2007, 02:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,969 times
Here's kind of a weird question about the Olympia area. I've been down there a few times and am going to move there to stay with a friend. She's taken me to a downtownish area where Ramblin' Jack's and Plenty are. My question is: is that the "true" downtown? If so, that area seemed more influenced by the Evergreen College populace than anything else.

So, I'm just curioius where the politicans and lobbyists are going. Is there a 'swankier' area near the capitol I don't know about? Are they going to Tumwater or Yelm? Or are they simply making due with what Olympia has to offer? Just something I've been puzzling over.

Old 08-15-2007, 12:42 AM

1,024 posts, read 4,137,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
And of course, for those who have forgotten, prepare yourself for the neverending overcast/rain 9-10 months out of the year. In the winter of 05-06, we had one stretch of rainy days for 27 days in a row where I don't think the sun was seen once. It wasn't just that fine mist either.
Rain for 9-10 months out of the year? Don't you think you're exaggerating a bit? I moved to Olympia from upstate New York, where there is snow on the ground for six months out of the year. Seeing white gets depressing. I love that it's green out here and don't mind the rain. Any one moving to western Washington should expect that it rains.

Sandy

Old 08-15-2007, 09:47 AM

375 posts, read 1,725,055 times
I love that it rains and is so green. I'm a bit sick of the dry desert landscaping here in parts of CA. I want fresh air. I'm looking a 2-5 acre properties away from the busy city areas.

I've been in Wisc during the winter. Talk about cold! But it's nice in it's own way. Not everything is going to be perfect.

Old 08-15-2007, 11:26 PM

1,024 posts, read 4,137,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADRMNDANES View Post
I've been in Wisc during the winter. Talk about cold! But it's nice in it's own way. Not everything is going to be perfect.
Although I like snow, I vowed never to live in a place again where I need to plug my car in overnight, so it starts up in the morning.

Sandy

Old 08-16-2007, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Nelson View Post
Rain for 9-10 months out of the year? Don't you think you're exaggerating a bit? I moved to Olympia from upstate New York, where there is snow on the ground for six months out of the year. Seeing white gets depressing. I love that it's green out here and don't mind the rain. Any one moving to western Washington should expect that it rains.

Sandy
Oops I should have only said *overcast*.

My mistake to all the homers out there. 27 consecutive days of rain is significant to me. I need a little more sunshine than that I guess.

For me, going on my 6th year of living in Western Washington, I am not exagerating by any means when I express my views on overcast weather. The first couple of years I hardly noticed it, but now I dread it.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishdream View Post
Here's kind of a weird question about the Olympia area. I've been down there a few times and am going to move there to stay with a friend. She's taken me to a downtownish area where Ramblin' Jack's and Plenty are. My question is: is that the "true" downtown? If so, that area seemed more influenced by the Evergreen College populace than anything else.

So, I'm just curioius where the politicans and lobbyists are going. Is there a 'swankier' area near the capitol I don't know about? Are they going to Tumwater or Yelm? Or are they simply making due with what Olympia has to offer? Just something I've been puzzling over.
Yes, that is the downtown area. Evergreen College definitely adds to the feel of Olympia, but I don't really encounter that crowd much since I'm a family man (translation: geezer), so I couldn't honestly say.

My guess would be that policians live predominately outside of the city area, since commuting is not a huge issue (traffic relatively low). I have relatives that work for the state in Olympia who live outside of town, so I'll ask if I can remember next time I see them. I also have a few neighbors here in Mason county that work for the state in Olympia too, and I've gotten the impression in the past that there is a huge populace of government employees here (30ish minute commute).

I bet lawyers tend to live close to the capitol though

Last edited by chris; 08-16-2007 at 12:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington