Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 12:16 AM

76 posts, read 257,982 times

Advertisements

It's been a little over a month since I moved into Washington. I've heard different stories from different people regarding car registration when moving to another state.

I know that to stay within regulation that I should apply for WA vehicle title/registration within 30 days of moving into the state. I've heard from a number of people that there's no harm in waiting until my current registration is up for renewal to register my vehicle in WA.

Can anyone speak to whether there are any penalties or apparent downsides to the latter alternative?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 12:26 AM

Just found this on a website:

"If, however, you live in the same place for several months, are well past your deadline for changing your state of registration, then your insurance company can refuse to cover your vehicle if you have an auto accident....

...If you don’t send in the form within the specified period of time then your license and registration can be suspended and you may face heavy fines as well."

Crap, I'm going to try to get this done this week. If anyone has any experience or feedback on this it would be much appreciated.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:13 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,565 posts, read 81,147,605 times
I did mine the first day here, because back then people with California plates were scorned. More recently, I have heard of people being fined when stopped and found to have a WA driver license and out-of-state plates.
They are very picky about this because our fees used to be really high, so people would register them in Oregon. They actually had state patrol cars assigned to follow RVs with Oregon plates back from the mountains to see if they pulled in to WA homes.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:24 AM

232 posts, read 805,027 times
i was stupid and went about 4 months before switching my registration. i was pulled over twice for other traffic violations, but both times i just told the office i was planning to register my vehicle, and he didn't fine me (and i didn't get a ticket for the other traffic violations either). both times it was a state trooper though. i have a feeling it would be different if it were a city cop.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odie91 View Post
i was stupid and went about 4 months before switching my registration. i was pulled over twice for other traffic violations, but both times i just told the office i was planning to register my vehicle, and he didn't fine me (and i didn't get a ticket for the other traffic violations either). both times it was a state trooper though. i have a feeling it would be different if it were a city cop.
Thanks. When you did finally switch your state registration what kind of penalty fees did you encounter on top of the standard fees?

Old 07-26-2011, 05:57 PM

129 posts, read 352,514 times
Honestly, After I moved up here I waited until my plates on the car were ready to expire then I switched both my driver's license and car tabs over. You'll get fined/ticketed if your plates and license don't match.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:02 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
I find this odd since I know a retired couple that live in Florida and also have a home in WA State... they have Florida Drivers Licenses and a Florida car and a Washington car...

So... to be legal they would also need a Washington Drivers License in addition to their Florida ones? Don't think a person can have multiple State Licenses anymore...

Same goes for people that have vacation homes in Hawaii and keep a car there...

Old 09-16-2013, 01:43 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,801,804 times
I just moved a month ago from Montana to Seattle and my MT plates are good until April of next year and my MT license is good till 2017. If I don't register my car to WA and keep my MT license until next year, think I can get away with it without paying a fine if I get pulled over? I also wanna use tax exemption while I can with my license

Old 09-16-2013, 09:46 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,951,486 times
Registration is not excessively high (although it does take cash) here so we just did it the first week in town. It was pretty easy and fast even including smog tests on our cars.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:36 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,829,848 times
When moving to a new state, one of the first things I would always do is get a driver's license and register my vehicles in the new state. Somehow it always made me feel more at home in my new surroundings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
View detailed profiles of: