Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 04:14 AM

177 posts, read 847,816 times

Advertisements

I don't know a lot about the Pecks Drive area other than to say the neighbourhood itself is, for the most part, very well kept and, seemingly, quiet.

I can vouch for the Lowell neighbourhood (which is right along the river and east of Broadway). It's extremely nice, very (VERY) low crime, lots of kids, friendly neighbours, etc. Oh, and the mountain views are breathtaking.

Not all of North Everett is bad. The area north of 20th, south of 12th or so and west of Colby is just lovely. Just stay away from anything remotely near the community college.

Since I'm not sure what sort of housing you're looking for - or if you're looking to purchase immediately, I'm going to throw this one out just in case: Port Gardner Warf. It's not even close to being ready for occupancy yet (I don't believe) - but it's going to be a spectacular "urban village" community right on the water. If you google "port gardner warf" you'll get to see the plans, etc.

Although I only lived in Everett for 8 months, I worked there for 7 years. Over the course of that time I saw the downtown area go from being run-down and "vacant" to being a true "work in progress" (and I mean that in a good way). The arena brings people in for everything from hockey games (and the Everett team is pretty darned good) to concerts to conferences. Because of this, restaurants and shoppes have opened up and are thriving. It's still not a real "walk around" area - but it's a lot closer now than it was even five years ago. Oh, and the fact that ArtSpace USA has partnered with the city to create a live/work space for local artists doesn't hurt either :-)

One thing you should be very aware of, though: Everett is in a convergence zone - which means the weather (especially in winter) can be intense (think hurricane-level wind squalls and rain). You might want to invest in some high-quality gortex jackets and waterproof boots.

eileen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 12:57 PM

131 posts, read 184,216 times
thanks for the info!! Luckily we have inherited a house from MIL. So we'll be moving soon. Weather does't bother us. 31 + years in Anchorage, Ak. saw
some colder weather than Everett I'm sure. As we live in Fl now ( 10 years) and have been through our share of hurricane force winds ( and god awful heat IMO)
I think Wash weather will be doable.

thanks again!!

Old 08-20-2007, 08:00 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,768,824 times
Doni, keep us updated about the sale of your house, etc and welcome to the PNW!

Yikes....I reread my earlier posts, and think I was havin' a grumpy day.... sorry I was so negative. And I see that I did Not say I'd been through areas in Everett which are quite nice....

And lol, comin' from Florida: the weather here will be a breeze! No more hurricane threats, that's for sure.

Last edited by Macrina; 08-20-2007 at 08:01 PM.. Reason: Still can't spell....

Old 08-21-2007, 08:20 AM

131 posts, read 184,216 times
thnx, Macrina! I'm getting excited about our up coming move! Although I know it won't happen over night. I'ts so nice to here "Welcome" all we heard when we came down here was "yankee go home". I've been waiting 10 years to get back anywhere on the Northwest coast. I'm so glad we kept the house in Everett. It's been rented out these past 10 years o I shudder to think what it looks like. But we have learned alot about remodeling after doing our home here and we also have rentals here that we maintain ourselves. ( I want to sell them soon so iIwon't have use a property manager)
We have some good ideas on how to renovate the Everett house! I hope to make it a asset to the neighborhood and a good place to retire. My son wants to go to the U of W and end up in Fed Fish and Game. But first he will have to have a law enforcement background . He is a senior in high school this year and will try for the Everett Police force when the time is right. I understand there is a Police Academy not far from Everett. The future looks promising!!!!

Old 08-21-2007, 03:45 PM

177 posts, read 847,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doni View Post
thanks for the info!! Luckily we have inherited a house from MIL. So we'll be moving soon. Weather does't bother us. 31 + years in Anchorage, Ak. saw
some colder weather than Everett I'm sure. As we live in Fl now ( 10 years) and have been through our share of hurricane force winds ( and god awful heat IMO)
I think Wash weather will be doable.

thanks again!!
Well, based on the fact you lived in Anchorage for so long, I think the "convergence zone" weather won't bother you at all!

Best of luck with the move - and enjoy the PNW. I'm looking forward to getting back (31 days and counting!!!!!).

eileen

Old 08-21-2007, 08:18 PM

I just remembered this: when I first arrived in WA, my friends advised me to get my license plates changed ASAP....possibly because I was relocating from *gasp!* California....but I will say I noticed a definite difference on the road once that little detail was taken care of...Hmmm, no comment here: just sayin'

Also, it's perhaps good to know ahead of time, (are you driving out?) the State Patrol are very diligent about inforcing speed limits about 4-5 miles over the posted seems to be the highest tolerated. Also, on a three lane interstate, passing on the right is legal.

Just FYI...

Old 08-21-2007, 08:33 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,668,019 times
One other thing to keep in mind is Everett has some of the worst weather in the Puget Sound region. Storms converge from the south and north right in this area and the area gets more icing, snow, and cold than Seattle. It is also cooler in the summer, which is either good or bad depending on your liking.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:55 PM

Talking Pw72....

PW...read the earlier posts: Doni lived for YEARS in Alaska Everett weather is nothing in comparison And actually, how many times a year does a convergence result in ice and snow *a little, at that* Maybe, 2-3 times?

Old 08-21-2007, 09:06 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,668,019 times
Well, of course, compared to Alaska...

I was just pointing out the differences within the Sound region.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:30 PM

797 posts, read 2,992,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doni View Post
...... I'm so glad we kept the house in Everett. It's been rented out these past 10 years so I shudder to think what it looks like.!!!!!
Yikes! I would not say Pecks is the worse part of Everett but it is a far cry from the best. Some of my family just moved away from Pecks after living there for the past 7yrs. I hope your house is far west of Hwy 99 (Evergreen Way) otherwise you are probably in for a quite a surprise. Pecks is also a pretty busy street, mostly because of its access to Hwy 99 and the fact that Madison Elementary is right on it. You may find it would be better to "flip it" and move on to a nicer part of Everett. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington