U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2007, 09:58 AM

59 posts, read 75,927 times

Advertisements

Would anyone like to give their opinions on moving to these areas for a family with kids and horses? What is the personality of the places? The weather? Schools? People? We are looking for a nice place on 5-10 acres in the country, close enough to drive to a city when needed, not rainy all the time but some rain is good, not high summer temps, not more than about an hour to the coast, nice friendly people, schools that are good, and a community that is safe. (I feel like I'm asking for too much when I see it all written down like that!) If not these areas, where would you suggest we look?

Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 10:45 AM

201 posts, read 1,420,887 times
Have you ever thought about Grayland? There are a lot of horse-friendly communities (people love to ride on the beach) with acreage. The schools are Ocosta School district. You're about 1/2 hour to Aberdeen for Walmart and Safeway; 1/2 hour to Raymond for another grocery store; 1 hour to Astoria for Costco and Fred Meyer.

The weather is beachy... a few big winter storms, but then generally mild - 40's in the winter, high 60's in summer.

Beautiful area!

Old 08-13-2007, 01:48 PM

110 posts, read 563,693 times
I'm from the SW WA area and I wouldn't send my kids to school there-------- JMO. How much do you have to spend? For excellent schools and horse property, I would live in Hockinson SD, just a bit NE of Vancouver. Also, great schools and right off I-5, check into Ridgefield and LaCenter schools. While neither of those towns have big grocery stores, the big stores are only 15-ish minutes away in Salmon Creek or Battle Ground, depending on where you end up. The coast may be a bit further -- 1.5 hours -- but the schools are waaaaay better than anything you'll find in Longview/Kelso (again, JMO.)--- check out GreatSchools.net for a starting point. Good luck!

Old 08-13-2007, 02:50 PM

Thanks for the details. I will check into all those leads right now. We are looking in the range of $600,000 or so. 3000+ sq ft (ish) 5-10 acres. Pasture areas, nice place to raise kids.

Old 08-13-2007, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandybeaches View Post
Thanks for the details. I will check into all those leads right now. We are looking in the range of $600,000 or so. 3000+ sq ft (ish) 5-10 acres. Pasture areas, nice place to raise kids.
Sorry, forgot to ask: How much rain/snow do they get in the Hockinson area?
Thank you!

Old 08-13-2007, 04:11 PM

110 posts, read 563,693 times
Rain, yes, lots--- look for property with a covered arena if you are a serious rider or else you and your horses will be fighting the mud all winter long.

Snow-- maybe 3-4 days a year unless you are way up in the Hockinson Hills.

Hockinson on $600 might be a stretch but LaCenter and Ridgefield should be do-able, especially with the real estate market slowing way down there.

A great place to do a search for housing is RMLS™ - Home
Hockinson zip is 98606
LaCenter is 98629
Ridgefield is 98642

Have fun

Old 08-13-2007, 07:43 PM

Thank You!!!!

Old 01-17-2008, 07:33 AM

2 posts, read 23,604 times
Red face Longview actually has an very good school district. You just have to know where to look.

Check out the Mark Morris School district in Longview. Greatschools.net is an excellent site for this info. If you look within this area--near Coal Creek in Longview, you can get a nice chunk of horse property, a nice house, and you may well even get a view of the river! The areas where Kelso/Longview schools are not so good is far removed from where I speak of.

I'm not trying to tout myself, but I have a website that draws from two different MLS systems that cover Longview, so you will see EVERYTHING on the market. Woodland WA Real Estate Listings, Homes, Properties, and Lots. Be sure to use both icons: "search Clark County" and "search Cowlitz." Some of the Longview listings will overlap, but you will find homes featured on one and not the other as well.

I moved here from Manhattan Beach, CA. A bit of a transition, but what we got for the money made--and still makes--it worth it. I bought in a high-end development called Carrollton Crest. All of my neighbors (21) are from California except one who came from Seattle.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandybeaches View Post
Sorry, forgot to ask: How much rain/snow do they get in the Hockinson area?
Thank you!

Old 02-16-2008, 04:28 PM

26 posts, read 132,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimspiess View Post
Check out the Mark Morris School district in Longview. Greatschools.net is an excellent site for this info. If you look within this area--near Coal Creek in Longview, you can get a nice chunk of horse property, a nice house, and you may well even get a view of the river! The areas where Kelso/Longview schools are not so good is far removed from where I speak of.
<snip>
Good luck!
Yikes - saying Coal Creek area is good horse country hurts! It's all hills and up and down - little good pasture. There are pockets of spots but most of Longview is hilly (the outskirts and even some of the town) and good horse property is hard to find - at least what I consider good horse property. Prices in the area are high too as far as what you get altho rehabbing a house is reasonably priced....I'd go further south for horses and kids or perhaps outside the Olympia area - but cost of living goes up with those spots too.

I must say that the coal creek area tho is pretty, just don't expect to find acres of flat pasture <g>

Old 02-18-2008, 11:58 PM

14 posts, read 63,360 times
The Centralia/Chehalis area; about 45 minutes from Longview, is very "horse friendly". Many families there own horses and ride them regularly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington