Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 01:44 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,852,574 times

Advertisements

So, I was reading about Leavenworth (which is apparently about a 2 hour drive from my house and which always makes me think of the prison first), and I really love how it looks in the winter time (especially around Christmas). Can anyone tell me if you need snow chains or whatever to drive there during the winter??

Thanks!

V. =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2007, 02:15 PM

113 posts, read 876,683 times
Leavenworth is a fun place, during the winter holidays as well as other times of the year.

Regarding if you need chains to get there. There are days that Stevens Pass (one of the ways across the Cascade Mountains you can take) does require chains, but those days are few. Washington State offers road condition information by dialing 5-1-1, so you can check the mountain pass conditions that way before you leave. The other route takes you over Snoqualmie and Blewett Passes, this route is a little farther but usually has less chain driving days.

Here are some photos of Leavenworth in the non-wintertime.

Old 08-14-2007, 02:45 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,047,047 times
To expand a bit on what Mark has said, you will want to carry chains with you no matter what.

Conditions can change rapidly in the winter and you might make it over the pass without chains but coming home might be another story. It can even change within an hour or less. In other words, you're at home and the pass report is no snow on the road at all but that can change as quickly as an hour or under.

I used to make it an annual ritual to go to Leavenworth for the tree-lighting ceremony and what I've described does happen. Leavenworth itself will in all likelihood have snow on the ground when you get there.

Also, it depends on what kind of vehicle you have and the condition of your tires as to whether you'll actually need to install chains or not even though the "chains required" sign is not up. If you have 4-wheel or all-wheel drive, they'll usually let you through without chains during the "chains required" alert. However, some patrolmen will require that you have them inside your vehicle so no matter, you'll have to buy them.

Some places such as Les Schwab and G.I. Joe's will let you return them if they're not used during the season.

We had a thread where we discussed the chaining and mountain pass laws about 6 months ago. I'll see if I can dig that up.

--'rocco

Old 08-14-2007, 02:51 PM

It was this thread where I posted the laws in both Washington and Oregon:

//www.city-data.com/forum/washi...west-wa-2.html

--'rocco

Old 08-14-2007, 03:14 PM

633 posts, read 2,541,324 times
Veronika,

You and I think alike. I just signed up for the newsletter yesterday cause I was checking into the Christmas lights thing for when we get up there.

Old 08-14-2007, 03:30 PM

Thanks everyone. I've never had to drive anywhere with snow chains, and in all likelihood with a new baby won't be doing it this year either, but it's good to know in advance!!

V. =)

Old 08-14-2007, 03:44 PM

Just a suggestion, Veronika, have DH practice putting on chains in your driveway or garage before heading out. He should do it several times so he's proficient at knowing how they're suppose to fit on the tire. It also gives you a chance to determine if you do in fact have the right size.

There's nothing more miserable than being in the below freezing temperatures and in blowing snow and trying to figure out how the chains are supposed to go on the tires.

Again, you may have to put on chains even though the "chains required" sign isn't posted. If you have a two-wheel drive car with so-so tires, you may have to put chains on just to get out of a parking lot, etc. Even when traveling down the highway, if it starts to get icy and even though the "traction devices required" sign is not up, it might be a good idea to put on chains anyway. I've seen people think that they don't need them on compact snow and ice and then all of a sudden they hit an icy spot and spin out.

So the main thing to keep in mind, SLOW DOWN and use chains even though you might not think you need them if your tires are only so-so.

Good luck whenever you decide to go!

--'rocco

Old 08-14-2007, 04:40 PM

417 posts, read 1,282,049 times
Default Consider a bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeronikaW View Post
Thanks everyone. I've never had to drive anywhere with snow chains, and in all likelihood with a new baby won't be doing it this year either, but it's good to know in advance!!

V. =)
Hi Veronika,

If you are nervous about snow and driving the pass there are a number of bus lines and tour companies that offer special event trips to Leavenworth such as the annual Christmas Lighting Tours.

I parked the car and walked; main downtown is easily walkable (take a stroller for your soon to be little one).

Here is a link to more about Leavenworth: Leavenworth Washington Travel Directions

Also, about November, there are ads in the newspaper for transportation to the Christmas Lighting in Leavenworth.

If your area has a Parks and Recreation leaflet there may also be an overnight trip offered (I know University Place does and I think Tacoma Parks and Recreation does, too).

Leavenworth is a beautiful little town. It is worth the trip. Taking a bus may be the ticket for you. (sorry for the pun)

Old 08-14-2007, 04:48 PM

*thumbs up!* Good suggestion, Vanessa!

--'rocco

Old 08-14-2007, 05:21 PM

Thanks everyone!! I know when I bought my car (a Toyota minivan) they told me I couldn't put chains on it, there's some sort of alternative to chains, that I totally zoned out on the name of because it just didn't matter to me at the time, so I'll have to look into it.

I was thinking of doing the Amtrak to Leavenworth, but we'll see.

Thanks again for all the suggestions!!!

V. =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington