Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 11:54 AM

3 posts, read 17,077 times

Advertisements

I agree that Camano doesn't have much in the way of shopping. I get a bit worried about living there in retirement too due to the limited access to medical services. I drove all over the Puget Sound and even considered a property in Point Roberts. But finally ended up buying on the east side of Camano in the Country Club. I don't feel you could go to wrong with anywhere near Puget Sound with the views and tranquility once you leave the Seattle/Everett, Tacoma, Olympia areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 01:31 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,649,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sraven View Post
I agree that Camano doesn't have much in the way of shopping. I get a bit worried about living there in retirement too due to the limited access to medical services. I drove all over the Puget Sound and even considered a property in Point Roberts. But finally ended up buying on the east side of Camano in the Country Club. I don't feel you could go to wrong with anywhere near Puget Sound with the views and tranquility once you leave the Seattle/Everett, Tacoma, Olympia areas.
My brother is selling his place on Utsaldy because of his health problems and the respective distance to hospitals.

Old 10-25-2017, 09:03 PM

22 posts, read 29,427 times
Just wanted to say thanks for the posts and replies. I'm in the Bay Area (San Jose), CA. Have a friend from high school on the island. I retired last March. It's too hot, political, tech, and loud, for me. Her pictures showed space, cool clouds, and forests.

I do like the nature in Santa Cruz, the library in Saratoga, being able to go to Peet's and options for buying food. Not a fan of eating out anymore because it's too loud, bright, spicy, carby, greasy, or sugared, now. I love the redwoods, but I hate the direction CA has become. This is from a political centrist.

I appreciate the discussion and all the factors considered and mentioned.

Any ideas on what to check out in various communities and places on a road trip up the west coast with limited time in each place? A co-op healthy market, bookstore, breath taking nature, temps under 80ish and above freezing (mostly), and library, coffeeshop/pub with wifi. and good food a plus. Where's that? Any comments about being ferry bound with other islands?

Old 11-03-2017, 08:22 PM

323 posts, read 448,843 times
My wife and I moved to Camano Island from Lynnwood last week.* Liking it so far.*

Retiring from working in downtown Seattle last year, we're now even farther removed from the entertainment in the city and metro area.* I've been missing the Out To Lunches, buskers and happy hour live music.* Now, out on Camano, we're also removed from the ballgames, nearby city festivals, cover band bars and touring band venues.* Not a big deal, I haven't been to the Tractor since The Gourds in 2011.* There will be more hotels and staying with friends.* We'll also miss the convenience of living in Lynnwood with so many businesses at arms length, including ethnic restaurants.* No more pizza and Chinese delivery.*

We lived in Lynnwood for 27 years and Brier for 5. We really liked Lynnwood, mostly because of its location. We'll be doing more driving here. They torn down a forest behind our Lynnwood and constructed two big houses there last year. Between that and retirement and tiring of the stairs, we decided on the more serene life, closer to family in Skagit County.

I'll post more about Camano when I have more experience here.

Old 11-03-2017, 09:02 PM

861 posts, read 1,062,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiff View Post
My wife and I moved to Camano Island from Lynnwood last week.* Liking it so far.*

Retiring from working in downtown Seattle last year, we're now even farther removed from the entertainment in the city and metro area.* I've been missing the Out To Lunches, buskers and happy hour live music.* Now, out on Camano, we're also removed from the ballgames, nearby city festivals, cover band bars and touring band venues.* Not a big deal, I haven't been to the Tractor since The Gourds in 2011.* There will be more hotels and staying with friends.* We'll also miss the convenience of living in Lynnwood with so many businesses at arms length, including ethnic restaurants.* No more pizza and Chinese delivery.*

We lived in Lynnwood for 27 years and Brier for 5. We really liked Lynnwood, mostly because of its location. We'll be doing more driving here. They torn down a forest behind our Lynnwood and constructed two big houses there last year. Between that and retirement and tiring of the stairs, we decided on the more serene life, closer to family in Skagit County.

I'll post more about Camano when I have more experience here.
Looking forward to it.

Old 11-05-2017, 12:18 PM

Default An evening out - Nov 4, 2017

Anyone interested in the nightlife on Camano and in Stanwood might find my post I made at the Western WA Music & More forum helpful. We went out Saturday evening and had a good time. For some reason the link doesn't always work:
https://mtheads.yuku.com/hwy-99-toni...50.html#p19682

Last edited by Jiff; 11-05-2017 at 12:37 PM..

Old 12-06-2017, 11:52 AM

1 posts, read 1,298 times
I'm looking to move from Portland to Camano, I would likely open a restaurant, any idea on what the needs would be? How much of the island is PT vs FT residents?

Old 12-15-2017, 01:18 PM

We've only eaten out four times so far. Two American, Rockaway and Pub 282, and Ixtapa, Mexican. Those not that great.

There's a Polish restaurant. Probably don't need another one of those. Still haven't searched out some pho. Hope to find a good bowl of that.

I might be wrong, but I don't think there's a place with a good view, and only one waterfront place, at an inn. High end I think.

Not sure about FT vs PT. I hear there's a serious summer population increase. l

Last edited by Jiff; 12-15-2017 at 01:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington