Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 03:47 PM

8 posts, read 94,780 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are planning to get out of California when I retire, and are interested in re-locating to Camano Island or Gig Harbor. I was wondering if anyone out there would know what the political scene is for these areas (conservative or liberal), and how much rain they actually receive. In addition, where are the major shopping centers near the Camano Island (Costco, Target, Kohls, etc). We are a quiet family that want to fit in and get to know people. I am hoping to get a nice home for around 400k. I am brand new to City Data, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 05:55 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
I'd say that both Gig Harbor and Camano could be called slightly conservative politically, especially when compared to Seattle or Bellingham...maybe Camano is a tiny bit to the right of Gig Harbor, but both places are pretty mixed politically. It rains less on Camano Island, 20 something inches of rain per year, as opposed to Gig Harbor's 37, which is about what Seattle gets.
There's more shopping near Gig Harbor, from Camano I think the nearest big box stores would be Tulalip/Marysville, about 15-20 miles? Though there are stores in Stanwood too, just not as many( or as close)...
If you did want liberal, parts of nearby Whidbey Island fit the bill.
As far as being pretty, they're both nice. If commuting was not an issue at all, I'd probably pick Gig Harbor. Nicer views, easier access to more shopping and restaurants. But there is a toll bridge to drive to the mainland( Tacoma), or to Seattle.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:52 PM

Thank you, Ira, for your very informative post. My wife and I are what most would consider to be conservative in our views, and your information is an asset in helping us make our decision. I also appreciate the info you provided on shopping, toll bridges and the rainfall amount. We hope to visit both places in the winter to see first-hand how "bad" the weather is up there. We currently live in Murrieta, CA, and right now it is about 103* and smoggy. I'm sick of it and need a change.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:04 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,647,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolteteam View Post
Thank you, Ira, for your very informative post. My wife and I are what most would consider to be conservative in our views, and your information is an asset in helping us make our decision. I also appreciate the info you provided on shopping, toll bridges and the rainfall amount. We hope to visit both places in the winter to see first-hand how "bad" the weather is up there. We currently live in Murrieta, CA, and right now it is about 103* and smoggy. I'm sick of it and need a change.
Camano is far more conservative than Gig Harbor. As another poster pointed out, it's also further from the big box houses and other amenities.

That varies a great deal depending upon where on the island you live (see the map, keeping in mind, none of it is freeway) Essentially Stanwood has 2 large grocery stores and some shops and places to eat. If you want more, it's another 10 minutes from Stanwood to Smokey Point, give or take. Mind you, the isolation lends itself to a quiet rural lifestyle, so it's a trade off.

And for what it's worth, the schools are pretty good there.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:34 PM

121 posts, read 292,387 times
You should check out Port Ludlow, Port Townsend and Sequim on the Olympic Peninsula while your at it. There's Big Box stores in Sequim and a Beautiful golf course and resort in Port Ludlow. I checked all over western Wa for a great place to retire and ended up buying near Sequim. I love to go visit Port Townsend which is only 20 miles East. I also like to take the Coho Ferry from nearby Port Angeles and spend the day in lovely Victoria, BC. By the way, I'm retiring at the end of this year and I currently work at Lake Elsinore, CA. It was 110 degrees there today! I can't get out of here fast enough!

Old 08-29-2011, 12:42 AM

Thank you for your input, Mr. Loney, and I appreciate the map you posted. It keeps everything in perspective for me, as I'm a visual person. You are the second person to tell me that Camano island is more conservative than Gig Harbor, so I will definitely check out the north end of the island. I don't necessarily need an ocean view; rather, it's the cool weather that I'm focusing on (and I'm also concerned about the rain amount). Judging from photos of both Gig Harbor and Camano, the scenery looks beautiful. Being a police officer, I want to retire in a good safe place. Your/anyone else's thoughts on that? By the way, how about an average energy bill in the winter?

Fairwinds, you're a step ahead of me and I'm jealous. When I go up to Washington I will take your advice and check out Port Ludlow, Port Townsend and Sequim. What a difference from Lake Smellsomemore, huh? Good luck in your retirement!

Old 08-29-2011, 09:22 AM

Generally speaking real estate and the COL on the Peninsula is lower than the mainland. The amenities are also thin. (Figure an hour to the nearest major mall) It's way more conservative than the Seattle area. However, the lovely town of Port Townsend is quite liberal and real estate can be pricey. It's easier to understand why that's the case once you experience the town. It's a special place with lots of great shops, art galleries and funky bars with great music and several good places to eat.

As to Camano's safety, it's very safe In fact the High School was the first in the state to install a visitor management program. Visitors are required to show photo ID. It's scanned and cross checked with the 47 sexual predator databases nationally, it can also screen for felonies and can be programmed to flag persona non grata (violent ex. parents that don't have custody, non contact orders, etc) The system silently pages security in the case of a flag. A photo id is then printed for the visitor and it stipulates where in the building the visitor is headed and the times in the building. The ID badge will change color at the end of the day (expires) The staff is trained to spot these

The school is wired with laser sensors. They can see through smoke and in the dark. Their security system allows a patrol officer to pull up along side the school and tap into the system giving him full visibility inside. This is getting more common now in the wake of Columbine. But Stanwood HS is on the cutting edge.

Last edited by Bill Loney; 08-29-2011 at 09:30 AM..

Old 08-31-2011, 05:20 PM

Thanks for the reply, Mr. Loney. It seems that Camano Island is the perfect place to live. What do you see wrong with it? I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Old 10-01-2011, 12:44 AM

Default Living on Camano Island

Anyone else out there have an opinion about living on Camano Island? The good and the bad? Any input (and personal experience) is appreciated.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolteteam View Post
Thanks for the reply, Mr. Loney. It seems that Camano Island is the perfect place to live. What do you see wrong with it? I'm looking forward to seeing it.
Camano is a wonderful place to live. Decent schools and a rural lifestyle. The biggest drawback are the distances to amenities and cultural activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington