Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2011, 05:38 PM

19 posts, read 54,491 times

Advertisements

Hey

I am looking for a rural place in Washington with pine trees...

I want to buy a land and probably make a cob cottage or a modular house.
I obsessed with the english style and I love cottage gardens. I want to be able to have gardens and grow my own food and suck some people's blood. lol jk

So where can I find a place like that in Washington? and where are the building codes and stuff easy ... LOL I do not know anything about building codes and those kind of stuff that's why I need help... I want beautiful gardens and peace.

... i THINK that's all ... I love pine trees.

umm... yeah I think that's all

Help me !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 10:31 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,774,898 times
You will probably not find that in Washington. If you want pine trees, you want the other coast. Here in Washington you find them in the far eastern side of the state and at higher elevations east of the Cascades. Panhandle Idaho has pine trees and easier building codes, but has a short growing season.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:43 PM

What about gardening in Washington? is the growing season for flowers long or short ?

I want a cheap and BEAUTIFUL land at least an acre no more than $10k.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:55 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,353,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara-Strigoi View Post
What about gardening in Washington? is the growing season for flowers long or short ?

I want a cheap and BEAUTIFUL land at least an acre no more than $10k.
Gardening's great in Western Washington. The growing season is long for flowers because there are various flowers that bloom from around February for the forsythias, to December for some types of roses, chamelias, crocuses, and winter jasmine.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:33 AM

Oh that's excellent!

Old 11-01-2011, 10:13 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,054,420 times
Stevens County north of Spokane.

Plenty of pine trees, lots of good water for wells, and best of all....NO BUILDING CODES.

You did have to disclose that the structure does not meet the UBC.

This was the case about a decade or so ago....so check to see if it is still in effect.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:53 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,746 posts, read 58,102,528 times
You might need to go to Montana to avoid Building codes. Try the valley between Thompson Falls and Plains, MT there are orchards and produce growers there. You will need to be quite remote to get develop-able land for $10k / acre, then there is the cost of water... sewer ... power and road.

IN WA you will need to jump through some serious hoops and unlikely to do for less than $50k (If you are lucky). You will probably need to establish a 'residence' in a mobile home, RV, or shop/barn with apartment; and build the 'cob' to appear as an 'accessory' building. In my region it is possible to spend over $20k just on preliminary planning, permits, and 'impact fee' costs. (Converting open space to residential use). I have a few friends with cob structures, but most are in Oregon (around Eugene) and few (if any) are considered the primary dwelling.

Do be advised; You asked for PINE not FIR or conifer in general. Pine is predominant in arid regions of eastern WA. You might want to be more specific by stating preferred climate zones and proximity to transportation / schools / employment / culture / medical ... Living in the boonies can really be expensive if you need to commute (in the event of a job, school, or health crisis). Even for those of us with 50 mpg 'grease-burners'.

I should mention that there are some Intentional Communities in the region that may suit your needs. http://www.ic.org/

Old 11-01-2011, 03:26 PM

To be honest one of the things I am looking for is a place near a cliff near a beach area or lake... like in Twilight... I think that was a beautiful place ... The pine trees can be any kind of tree that looks like a pine tree but it's not too important... I think the beach was La Push or something and it can be less than an acre since I am going to live alone and I would probably move after 5 years or less... or I'd buy a modular house if I decided to stay or a regular house.

oh... and I would like to grow roses, so I would like to know if they grow well there in western Washington. Other plants I would like to grow are hydrangeas, azaleas, tulips, daffodils and peonies. I read western washington is a paradise for flowers...

I'd prefer Wester Washington because it is mostly zone 8a and zone 8b.... eastern washington is probably too cold for my taste.

@509 Thank you very much for that info I will see if I find something there

Old 11-01-2011, 08:27 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,774,898 times
Twilight has given way too many people bad ideas about moving here. The area around Forks is very depressing and wet.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:03 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,838,232 times
There is no place left on the U.S. Pacific Coast where you can realize your dream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington