U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2011, 05:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,410 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I currently live in Colorado, and hold a bachelors in psychology. I am wanting to go back to school for a masters degree in school counseling. I am seriously considering moving to WA because my dad and my brother live there near Seattle. Unfortunately there appears to be no CACREP accredited school counseling programs at any public schools located in or around Seattle. Please let me know if you know otherwise (I would even consider private schools in the area Seattle University aside). Given my options, I have been seriously considering Western Washington University. My big concern is that my husband who is a computer programmer will not be able to find any work in Bellingham. I was hoping to get some thoughts on that??? Also if he were to get a job in Seattle or Bellevue how terrible would the commute really be. I am totally open to the idea of living somewhere between a bigger city and Bellingham. Are there any other cities near Bellingham that would have a more booming job market for my husband's field? If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 06:22 PM

7,759 posts, read 14,915,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domtomsmom View Post
Also if he were to get a job in Seattle or Bellevuehow terrible would the commute really be. I am totally open to the idea of living somewhere between a bigger city and Bellingham. Are there any other cities near Bellingham that would have a more booming job market for my husband's field? If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.
It's not a matter of "how terrible" the commute would be, we're talking about at the very minimum 90 miles one way. For most part it won't be as trafficky once you get northbound past Everett. Burlington/Mt. Vernon are the "bigger" towns between the Seattle area and Bellingham-- and it might be too quiet for your taste.

I'm not sure how long the process is but Antioch Uni in Seattle is in the process of getting the CACREP accreditation. Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs - Programs in Process Perhaps that's one worth looking into as well.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:14 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
38,048 posts, read 68,747,100 times
I would expect there to be more jobs in Bellingham than Mt. Vernon or Burlington. You'd have to commute all the way down to Marysville or Everett. On the the other hand, there are a lot of Seattle area programmers that telecommute these days, so a 3 hour commute might not be too bad if it's only for a bi-weekly meeting.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:08 PM

7,759 posts, read 14,915,868 times
I'm sorry, I meant to point out Mt. Vernon/Burlington for the OP and her husband the "bigger" towns along i5 (between Bellingham/Seattle), not in terms of jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I would expect there to be more jobs in Bellingham than Mt. Vernon or Burlington. You'd have to commute all the way down to Marysville or Everett. On the the other hand, there are a lot of Seattle area programmers that telecommute these days, so a 3 hour commute might not be too bad if it's only for a bi-weekly meeting.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:55 PM

59 posts, read 148,997 times
I am not sure if this would be a viable option, but could he work within the Vancouver, BC metro area? Vancouver is closer to Bellingham than Seattle is, but you have to determine if living and working in a different country is possible for a daily commute including a border crossing. I am sure it has been done, I am just unaware of the potentials.

If that does not work a telecommuting job based in the PNW region sounds perfect. My wife telecommutes for work and we live in Anacortes, WA and may move to Bellingham in the near future.

Good luck.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:50 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,383,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubdpt View Post
I am not sure if this would be a viable option, but could he work within the Vancouver, BC metro area? Vancouver is closer to Bellingham than Seattle is, but you have to determine if living and working in a different country is possible for a daily commute including a border crossing. I am sure it has been done, I am just unaware of the potentials.

If that does not work a telecommuting job based in the PNW region sounds perfect. My wife telecommutes for work and we live in Anacortes, WA and may move to Bellingham in the near future.

Good luck.
Working in BC is a Whole nuther can of fish. There are numerous conditions and tax considerations. and they are not keen on Americans coming up there to work. And to be honest, with the delays at the border and the Vancouver traffic, it can just as easily be shorter going to Seattle.

The job situation in Bham is better than Mt. Vernon by a long shot. That ain't saying much though.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:48 PM

2 posts, read 4,174 times
I wouldn't recommend BC to commute. Yes, it is closer to Bellingham than Seattle/Everette but you don't want to deal with border traffic. Trust me on this
There are so many people I know in Bellingham in computer world. I used to be a software developer as well(now a real estate agent). Some of them telecommute mostly and go in to the office in Seattle or Everett once or twice a week. By train I think it is about an hour to Everett. Also there are quite a bit of computer jobs in town too. You will be surprised. Of course your options might be narrower than other big cities but there are opportunities for sure. Good luck!

Old 10-14-2011, 11:11 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,255,317 times
I have done those commutes. It's a full hour and 20 minutes MINIMUM to Vancouver with a Nexus card for the border. It's 2.5 hours to Seattle without traffic. There is never, ever no traffic, especially if you work regular hours. The traffic on I-5 is very heavy.

Personally I do not think those commutes are doable; they would make one's life miserable.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:58 AM

1,729 posts, read 4,383,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
It's 2.5 hours to Seattle without traffic.
That's patently false. It varies simply because the term "Seattle' is a large area. It's only 80 miles, give or take.

On off hours, I can be downtown in an hour and 20 minutes. I did it last week, AGAIN at 10 am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
There is never, ever no traffic,
This statement is also questionable. If you mean no cars, then yes. Traffic, which certainly has grown worse over the years, still ebbs and flows depending upon the time of day. Rush hour can indeed be 2.5 hours. If you;re able to avoid crunch hours and/or add a passenger to be able to HOV it, your times will be considerably less.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:06 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
38,048 posts, read 68,747,100 times
I too have made that drive many times, and from Bellingham to Marysville
at any time of day is usually about an hour. In the middle of the night from Marysville to Seattle can take as little as 20 minutes, but most of the day it's almost another hour due to traffic from Everett all the way in to Seattle. An
alternative is drive to Everett and catch the train, but then you wil add time getting a bus to work from the station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>