Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 10:50 AM

66 posts, read 137,927 times

Advertisements

Great info, thanks!

Is the computer science program at UW only in Seattle? Both the Tacoma and Bothell campus's have computer science programs based in those cities... Overview : UWT Institute of Technology (http://www.tacoma.washington.edu/tech/prospective_students/bs/css/index.cfm - broken link)

That would get me more affordable housing (closer to here in Lincoln) and I wouldn't have to commute to Seattle...right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 11:59 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Well, probably not Olympia, but you could find something cheaper in Tacoma. The train runs from the Sea-Tac airport up to about Pike Place Market.
The Sounder train is a heavy rail commuter (meaning limited hours) train that have stations in Tacoma and Seattle. The Light Rail starts at the airport and goes into the Westlake Center which is a couple blocks from the Pike Place Market. The Light rail operate from 5amish to around midnight.

From Tacoma to Seattle and vice versa, there's also a stream of buses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjvirchow View Post
Great info, thanks!

Is the computer science program at UW only in Seattle? Both the Tacoma and Bothell campus's have computer science programs based in those cities...

That would get me more affordable housing (closer to here in Lincoln) and I wouldn't have to commute to Seattle...right?
UW-Bothell and UW-Tacoma operates and functions individually, apart from UW in Seattle. Just because you make it in to these schools does NOT mean you get to attend UW in Seattle. I've attended UW-B long ago and during Orientation, they had to stress that to students (because apparently some of the students were thinking they had a "in" @ UW in Seattle). Both of these schools stand on their own and have big campuses.

Old 10-15-2011, 01:59 PM

Hmm... that's odd. It's all part of the UW, but each operates differently. Each UW campus is good at Computer Science I would imagine, sounds like I've only read that UW Seattle is good.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:46 AM

1,980 posts, read 3,772,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
The busses and the light rail are quite good, and in the winter it usually isn't that cold.
The buses are great, the snail rail is terrible. The north segment to UW should work well, but the current line is awful. ST needs to fire their leadership.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:48 AM

1,980 posts, read 3,772,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjvirchow View Post
Would it be possible to live in Olympia, (cheaper cost of living) and still commute to Seattle without a car?
No. Unless you are willing to pay amtrak fare, which isn't cheap. Even then it wouldn't be easy to get to the Olympia area station way out in deep SE Lacey.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:10 AM

I'll keep looking into UW Tacoma and EWU. I do like a more urban enviroment, so I'll probably lean more to UW Tacoma.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:15 PM

Default WSU Tri-Cities vs Pullman- Computer Science

I'm currently residing in Lincoln, Nebraska and am persuing a career in Computer Science and Computer Engineering.

I've been debating between attending the University of Washington (not sure which campus) or Washington State University.

My concern is that I like a more urban atmosphere, as I do not have a car, and also in more urban area's, job opprotunities are much easier to find.

I'm thinking WSU might be a better fit for me, as it's much cheaper to live east of the Cascade's, then in the Sea-Tac area where UW is. I am not going to pay out-of-state tuition, I will gain residency first.

I've looked at WSU Spokane, but according to their website, they don't offer a Computer Science degree.

So mainly, my questions are:

1. Is there a big difference in quality of education at WSU Pullman vs WSU Tri-Cities?

2. Is it possible to live in Pullman without a car?

3. Is the UW- Tacoma really that much better than WSU?

Old 10-18-2011, 01:25 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
You have 2 conflicting ideas going on - if you want a "truly urban" area, then go to UW. Pullman and Richland are both relatively small towns.

Your other idea is you want a low cost of living. Typically that's not compatible with a true urban environment.

On question 1 I think it depends on what topic you want to study. Friends of mine are professors at WSU Richland, they are among the best in their respective fields. I have taken a few courses there and again I was studying with someone who had deep theoretical and practical knowledge of their material.

Can you live in Pullman without a car - If you are determined enough to do it, of course. People have rowed across the Atlantic in small boats. I don't think you will really like the experience in Pullman with no car.

On question 3 - you can have Husky vs Cougar discussions/arguments/debates forever. Really depends on what you want to study. WSU is more of an engineering school. UW does more medicine, law, business.

As stated previously you can find fairly inexpensive housing around UW. Probably such places are not advertised in a way that is easy for you to find from Lincoln. UW may have people who will help you find off-campus housing.

My step-daughter went to Seattle U and didn't have a car most of the time while she was there, got around on the bus and by walking with no real problems.

The U district is really a decent area, don't think the heavily advertised and expensive housing options are the only ones.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:55 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
If you're looking for urban, then you'd have to look toward Seattle/Tacoma area. Pullman/Tricities absolutely is not regarded as urban. Cheap places can be found in the Seattle/Tacoma area.

WSU/UW... quality... they're both good. UW is the frontier flagship school for the PNW, though... Its very nationally regarded, well known. UW-T is affiliated with UW, so the prestigiousness is there. My friend graduated from UW-B and her diploma doesn't say UW-B, it simply says University of WA... I'm assuming it's still like that now.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:02 PM

Housing was my main concern, good to hear it's not ridiculously expensive. Thank you all! Apologies for bringing this up again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington