Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 01:01 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,688 posts, read 57,994,855 times

Advertisements

Different answer here... (Not fond of we_t WA)

25 yrs in Northern Colorado (Masonville) & WY
28 yrs in We_t WA West Columbia Gorge, 20 minutes to Portland Airport

20 minutes Portland is a PLUS for me... FAST PDX getaways... CHEAP (Free) culture downtown (Powell Books) and $.99 breakfast @ IKEA) And of course Tax Free Shopping (but I shop in WA since I own WA commercial props and like my tenants to have + REVENUE)

Both places have their benefits, I much prefer the social benefits of Colorado and it is home to our 'Good Friends' (The kind I want if I was really needing a friend.... cancer, moving, camping, crying, hungry, homeless...). Our WA neighbors are congenial, but are not gonna bring you a 'hot-dish', and won't call to see if you are dead, or buried in a snow / ice storm). 80% have unlisted phones and they want to KEEP it that way. They don't get together and help each other replace barns / roofs / fences / do cider pressing.. (All was common in Colorado for me... farm / ranch kid)

I'm a farm kid and so the climate in CO definitely suits me better (I hate working in the mud, and getting rusty tools, and soggy cars)

As I was told by my many CO coworkers who made the move to Marysville, WA and came home FAST...

DO NOT BUY / rent a We_t WA home stuck back in the trees... (needles in gutters, moss everywhere, very 'sick prone' house...)

I have full south facing Prow (Vaulted) home overlooking the Columbia River Gorge. Weather changes many times / day with clouds below us. Very Nice!!! (but the price $33/day in property taxes (up from $2/day...))

When / IF this place ever sells, I will have a home in Colorado (one of three locations in USA, and a few overseas (for healthcare)). BUT... Colo will not be my Domicile. (Probably SD, 1 day / yr requirement and income tax free). The front range of CO is VERY tough to digest (smog, cars, SUV's, HOUSES growing everywhere) I don't do TRAFFIC / stop lights

We_t WA is hard to handle... MOSS growing everywhere...

IF you are not forced to work outside in the winter, WA is more tolerable... but if you like to bicycle everyday you will REALLY miss Boulder. (I did ~ 200 miles / week yr round in Colorado... I haven't ridden 200 miles in WA (28 yrs). No Shoulders, Dark and curvy roads, VERY 'bicycle blind' drivers (seeing through smeary windshield wipers + seldom seeing a bicycle). (I have had 3 friends killed on bicycles in WA... over 10 have been hit, and VERY few of my friends ride bikes here compared to Colo.)

Colo looks brown, and like a 40 ft tall lawnmower got to the trees (I have 300' tall trees in my yard in WA).. BUT... GREEN comes with a price (120" and 280 days of drizzle / yr for me).

I LUV $80 SWA flights to DEN where I get a $5/day rental car and enjoy the sun (especially in the winter) Family just got back from CO yesterday, I stayed home to feed the dog and dig trenches / plant trees / prune berries / fix cars / stack firewood in the rain and mud

I also go to Sacramento frequently $39 - $59 flight.

Good advice from rachaelb

Give any place a 'test drive' (In the worst season)

A good friend moved to NH from CO.. left a good job and farm.

They Found out NH / VT were VERY closed societies (old timer) VERY expensive, VERY cold, Very Miserable... Family split up, most fleeing back to CO. Very difficult lesson. The NE USA was better to visit than to live (for this family).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 06:51 AM

9 posts, read 13,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Different answer here... (Not fond of we_t WA)

25 yrs in Northern Colorado (Masonville) & WY
28 yrs in We_t WA West Columbia Gorge, 20 minutes to Portland Airport

20 minutes Portland is a PLUS for me... FAST PDX getaways... CHEAP (Free) culture downtown (Powell Books) and $.99 breakfast @ IKEA) And of course Tax Free Shopping (but I shop in WA since I own WA commercial props and like my tenants to have + REVENUE)

Both places have their benefits, I much prefer the social benefits of Colorado and it is home to our 'Good Friends' (The kind I want if I was really needing a friend.... cancer, moving, camping, crying, hungry, homeless...). Our WA neighbors are congenial, but are not gonna bring you a 'hot-dish', and won't call to see if you are dead, or buried in a snow / ice storm). 80% have unlisted phones and they want to KEEP it that way. They don't get together and help each other replace barns / roofs / fences / do cider pressing.. (All was common in Colorado for me... farm / ranch kid)

I'm a farm kid and so the climate in CO definitely suits me better (I hate working in the mud, and getting rusty tools, and soggy cars)

As I was told by my many CO coworkers who made the move to Marysville, WA and came home FAST...

DO NOT BUY / rent a We_t WA home stuck back in the trees... (needles in gutters, moss everywhere, very 'sick prone' house...)

I have full south facing Prow (Vaulted) home overlooking the Columbia River Gorge. Weather changes many times / day with clouds below us. Very Nice!!! (but the price $33/day in property taxes (up from $2/day...))

When / IF this place ever sells, I will have a home in Colorado (one of three locations in USA, and a few overseas (for healthcare)). BUT... Colo will not be my Domicile. (Probably SD, 1 day / yr requirement and income tax free). The front range of CO is VERY tough to digest (smog, cars, SUV's, HOUSES growing everywhere) I don't do TRAFFIC / stop lights

We_t WA is hard to handle... MOSS growing everywhere...

IF you are not forced to work outside in the winter, WA is more tolerable... but if you like to bicycle everyday you will REALLY miss Boulder. (I did ~ 200 miles / week yr round in Colorado... I haven't ridden 200 miles in WA (28 yrs). No Shoulders, Dark and curvy roads, VERY 'bicycle blind' drivers (seeing through smeary windshield wipers + seldom seeing a bicycle). (I have had 3 friends killed on bicycles in WA... over 10 have been hit, and VERY few of my friends ride bikes here compared to Colo.)

Colo looks brown, and like a 40 ft tall lawnmower got to the trees (I have 300' tall trees in my yard in WA).. BUT... GREEN comes with a price (120" and 280 days of drizzle / yr for me).

I LUV $80 SWA flights to DEN where I get a $5/day rental car and enjoy the sun (especially in the winter) Family just got back from CO yesterday, I stayed home to feed the dog and dig trenches / plant trees / prune berries / fix cars / stack firewood in the rain and mud

I also go to Sacramento frequently $39 - $59 flight.

Good advice from rachaelb

Give any place a 'test drive' (In the worst season)

A good friend moved to NH from CO.. left a good job and farm.

They Found out NH / VT were VERY closed societies (old timer) VERY expensive, VERY cold, Very Miserable... Family split up, most fleeing back to CO. Very difficult lesson. The NE USA was better to visit than to live (for this family).
Duly noted. You sound very unhappy and unsatisfied. I hope you find some happiness in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington