Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 02:07 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,271,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, it really missed the mark for me, though it did get the correct state: California. It pegged me as being from a couple of locations in SoCal, and Santa Rosa. At least Santa Rosa is within the greater Bay Area, where I'm from.

My guess is that the test is based on contemporary usage, which can shift from usage a generation or two or three ago, depending on the subject's age. Or perhaps my usage reflects some deeper ancestry from the Napa/Sonoma area, rather than where I grew up--Berkeley. That would raise the question of what is more influential in someone's speech: family environment, or peers, school, social set/s over years. But one of the determining vocab items was something I picked up from books, not from conversational usage, so -- go figure.
I agree. It is a "just for fun", non-scientific test, after all. Mine was as accurate as it could possibly have been, but I did answer a lot of the questions with the bottom answer, which was something like "I have no word for this".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 02:11 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
I agree. It is a "just for fun", non-scientific test, after all. Mine was as accurate as it could possibly have been, but I did answer a lot of the questions with the bottom answer, which was something like "I have no word for this".
I got California and I've never lived there. And I've never heard anyone say Warshington, that would get my attention immediately.

It named three cities in the south as "least like". Is that where they are saying "water bubbler"?

Old 08-11-2016, 02:59 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I got California and I've never lived there. And I've never heard anyone say Warshington, that would get my attention immediately.

It named three cities in the south as "least like". Is that where they are saying "water bubbler"?
I believe that is a Wisconsin thing.

Old 08-11-2016, 03:14 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I believe that is a Wisconsin thing.
Thanks, no wonder, it sounds like an art installation.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:50 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Thanks, no wonder, it sounds like an art installation.
lol! Yeah, or a fancy garden fountain of some sort.

It was an interesting quiz. Thanks for posting it, PS90.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:56 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,529,245 times
I took that test before when it came out a couple of years ago & it pretty much nailed where I'm from, at least the state & general area...but so did 2 schoolboys in the Lake District of England!

Re "Warshington"...I have lived in this state for over 5 years & traveled over most of it, & have never heard anyone, native born or otherwise, say it that way in any part of the state. In fact, the only person that I ever heard pronounce it that way was my spouse, before we moved here, & he lived in San Diego only since toddlerhood, & doesn't pronounce other words strangely. I remember telling him that there was no "r" in Washington & that he should work on it before we moved here if he didn't want strange looks.

Old 08-14-2016, 11:36 AM

1,155 posts, read 962,733 times
We moved around a lot when I was very young, but I was primarily raised on the SF Peninsula. That quiz pegged my regional accent as San Francisco/Santa Rosa/Fremont, which is fairly accurate. I think that's amazing, considering that both my parents came from outside the USA and had some marked pronunciation quirks and vocabulary choices of their own.

I've lived in the Seattle area for years now, yet I've never heard one person say "Warshington." I remember a nun in grade school in California who always ordered us to go to the "warshroom" and "warsh" our hands, but she was from the Midwest.

We all said "drinking fountain," too. On that subject, what a shock it was to move to the Seattle area and find outdoor drinking fountains relatively hard to come by, especially on school campuses. Maybe because pipes can freeze here in the winter?

Old 08-16-2016, 09:27 AM

448 posts, read 813,289 times
Quote:
I've lived in the Seattle area for years now, yet I've never heard one person say "Warshington." I remember a nun in grade school in California who always ordered us to go to the "warshroom" and "warsh" our hands, but she was from the Midwest.
I wonder if that's where it came from. The only place I heard "Warshington" was rural, eastern Washington. A lot of those farmers came from the midwest, including my kin - some from Wisconsin and others from Minnesota. I wonder if it's a left-over quirk that subsequently died out in the midwest, but lived on among older residents in places they moved to (like Washington) and is now on the way to dying out there as well?

Old 01-06-2018, 11:12 AM

6,378 posts, read 5,002,937 times
I've heard one of my friends from Washington state (Puyallup/Yelm/Shelton) speak, and I wouldn't call his accent totally standard American. It sounds kind of Canadian with a bit of Upper Midwest.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:22 PM

545 posts, read 411,672 times
Well, I took the silly quiz and it said I was either from Salt Lake City or Seattle. I'm actually from Southern Oregon originally, which is I guess more or less equidistant from both of those cities- so maybe it's not so silly after all?

Anyway, I still maintain that there are no accents in WA. There are no accents in all of the Western US, until you get to the Plains states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington