Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 02:18 PM

6 posts, read 18,339 times

Advertisements

Hi - We are researching the Tonasket area, and I am finding conflicting information about the amount of sunshine Tonasket gets. Sperling's best places says something like 189 days, but a website for the area says it's closer to 300 days of sun.

So, would someone who lives there please tell us: do you have mostly sunny or partly sunny days only about half the time, or do you have mostly to partly sunny days closer to 5 out of every 6 days?

And, to further complicate things, do you regularly get long extended periods of heavy clouds in the winter months? Like for several days or weeks at a time? Or at any other time of the year, for that matter?

I really appreciate any insights anyone can provide. Thank you!

Lisa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 05:02 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,789,874 times
Climate stats for Tonasket per City-Data:

The last two charts in particular are what you should be looking at. What that equates to for number of days per sunshine per year though, I am not sure. It's more than Seattle though, I'll tell you that much!

Old 01-08-2012, 05:22 PM

The wikipedia page doesn't provide much help either, but just in case you're interested:

Tonasket, Washington - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-08-2012, 07:21 PM

Thank you both! This is kind of why I'm confused. I keep seeing claims for "300 days of sunshine" for the area, but the actual "statistics" I find seem to indicate a lot less "days of sunshine." Hmmm ... And since I don't really know how to quantify a day of sunshine (is it a day with at least some sun? or a day that's mostly sunny?) I am hoping someone with some anecdotal experience will jump in, too.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:58 PM

Eastern Washington is generally drier and sunnier on average than Western Washington, and also features colder winters, and warmer summers. Many areas east of the Cascades claim 300 days of sunshine, but I think what they really mean is 300 days with at least some sun.

Summers over that way tend to be constantly sunny, at least in my experiences. Winters are cloudier, but are nothing compared to what is found west of the Cascades. Also from what I've noticed, cloud cover in Eastern Washington seems to be higher and lighter than cloud cover in Western Washington. Though I must admit I've never spent an entire year there. I have been over that way at least once during every season of the year though, and most of all during spring and summer months.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:17 AM

Thank you again. We are somewhat familiar with northwest weather as we both grew up in northwest Montana, and frankly, that could sometimes be a little cloudy for us (especially in the winter months). Tonasket seems to be substantially drier during all 12 months compared to our hometown in Western Montana, and certainly compared to western Washington. In fact, we are in New Mexico now, and it even appears Tonasket is drier all year than where we are now!

So ... I am hoping that the arid quality of the area supports the anecdotal assertions I have read about the 300 "days of sun". Our interest in this is somewhat pragmatic; we garden year around, and even here, where our winter nights are nearly as cold - and sometimes much colder - than Tonasket's, we are able to raise cool-season vegetables under a layer of 4 mil clear plastic. I think that, with enough sun during the winter days, even given the shorter winter days up there, we could possibly do the same thing up there ... but we do need some pretty regular winter sun!

So, again, thanks for the information and if anyone who lives in/near Tonasket has more info, it is surely appreciated!

Old 01-11-2012, 07:12 AM

Btw every time I've ever experienced rain in Eastern Washington its usually pretty short lived. Last memorial day weekend for example I was camping over by Douglas and one day out of the four I was there the wind kicked it, it rained for about half an hour, then it was calm and dry again.

Several years ago while camping at the sun lakes I recall one day (also over memorial day weekend) where rain seemed to come in waves. About once an hour it seemed all afternoon it just POURED for about 15 minutes or so then stopped again.

Wind can also get strong. I remember another time camping down on Alkali Lake in the lower Grand Coulee we left a day early because the wind was ridiculous and unending.

Of course Eastern WA isn't a single weather area, but you can paint a general picture for it. That being said, I would move to Eastern WA in a heartbeat. It is a fabulous place!

Old 01-11-2012, 02:18 PM

Thanks again for taking the time to share your experiences. We appreciate it!

Old 01-11-2012, 09:34 PM

No problem. Also take a look at this thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/washi...e-weather.html

Old 01-12-2012, 11:13 AM

Thanks for taking the time to write and post that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington