Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 09:09 PM

18 posts, read 47,654 times

Advertisements

I've not experienced anything like this - ever. Besides the ones who stand on the corner, I've been hit up by many passersbys to buy them a tank of gas or a pack of cigarettes. What is going on with this? We are just moving here and it generally seems safe, but it might not be if I get any more irritated by someone begging me for a smoke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 10:22 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,756,226 times
It's because idiots keep give these people money. People need to stop giving these folks money. Give them an apple instead.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:50 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,813,839 times
It is a West Coast thing. Olympia's minor when you compare to Seattle (and the other big cities in West Coast).

Old 01-18-2012, 12:25 AM

28,107 posts, read 63,432,187 times
The ones I've seen are much less aggressive than the San Francisco types...

Might be the time of year... it is getting colder.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:47 AM

1,024 posts, read 4,124,832 times
I believe many of the panhandlers arrive in Olympia by bus and stay because the Olympians are very tolerant and generous.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:36 AM

410 posts, read 1,518,499 times
It's not just an Olympia thing. Where I am now is really bad. They have "routes" they take and stake claim on corners and stuff. Pretty funny to listen to.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:06 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,391,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
It's because idiots keep give these people money. People need to stop giving these folks money. Give them an apple instead.
This, quit giving money, it only encourages them. Most of them make more money then I do.

There is also evidence that they're indirectly linked to organized crime and essentially buy corners from someone up the chain.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:09 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,331,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
It is a West Coast thing. Olympia's minor when you compare to Seattle (and the other big cities in West Coast).
I think this is true. Drifters and transients seem to naturally gravitate to the west coast. Sort of the end of the line, I guess. People do foolishly give money to these people.
There is always a transient staked out at the underpass at the Blacklake Mall exit at 101. People stopped for the light there will roll down their windows and hand these people money. Really dumb thing to do.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:06 AM

28,107 posts, read 63,432,187 times
A few years back... I was leaving the bank and this women from across the street with a small dog in her arms was smiling and calling out to me...

She crossed the street and asked if I like dogs... I said as much as the next person... not sure where this was going.

Anyway, she starts in saying that her dog hasn't eaten in two days, she can tell I have a good heart and asks for money to buy dog food...

I told her not to worry and to wait right here as I opened my car door... she was beaming from ear to ear...

I reach into the grocery bag in the back seat and pull out two packages of Tender Vittles... she looks at me and says what is she supposed to do with that?

I told her it's dog food and enough for today and tomorrow... she got very indignant and said her dog only eats people food and stormed off... saying something under her breath as she marched away...

I have little tolerance for people that lie...

Another time... I was flagged down near down town, a motorist asked for money because his car ran out of gas... I asked him where his car was because I will call the Auto Club and he said never mind.... saw him later in the day about 10 blocks away talking with another driver.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:00 PM

9,501 posts, read 16,399,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anichka View Post
I've not experienced anything like this - ever. Besides the ones who stand on the corner, I've been hit up by many passersbys to buy them a tank of gas or a pack of cigarettes. What is going on with this? We are just moving here and it generally seems safe, but it might not be if I get any more irritated by someone begging me for a smoke.

You sound like me when I arrived in Portland from a small town in Massachusetts. I had seen homeless and panhandling before, but nothing like I see all over the Northwest. Even when visiting Calif other than San Fran where you see it quite abit, it seems more noticeable up here. Truthfully Portland is the worst I have seen. Olympia has been one of the lesser places I have seen it, but yes your right it goes on there also.

Personally I think the Northwest is beautiful. However I think it has a very high % of poverty, and social type problems. A much higher % than much of the rest of the USA, would associate with the Northwest. Now combine the reasons for the poverty levels with the social problems. Combine that with the cultures, politics, mindsets and viewpoints of the area, and you get exactly what your describing. In other words there are reasons, why you are seeing so much of this behavior in Olympia. It is allowed and has been tolerated for decades. Vagrancy and panhandling are part of the culture in the Northwest. Evidiently the laws must be very lenient on this type of existence, where as in much of America the culture wouldn't think of it. I know where I'm from in Mass you either work or you freeze to death. That fact and the type people that beg don't seem to populate the regions like here. I've had a number of people native to the Northwest tell me the weather is so mild here so they come here. Yeah right thats the reason if you want to believe that go right ahead.

I can understand your disgust with it. When your new in a place it makes it difficult to like a place when your gettiing hit on nonstop. Be thankful your not in Portland. Here I have it happen to me at work at the gym. The trains and buses. Safeway, Target, every street corner/store front, fwy ramp. Yes your right its a turn off but thankfully I'm out of here in April.

I'm sorry this type behavior has been putting a damper on your adjusting to Olympia. Hopefully things will get better an you will find ways to avoid all the begging. Other than that the region is beautiful, so get out and enjoy it whenever you can. Alot of nice places to see and things to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington