Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your favorite metro area in Washington state?
Seattle-Bellevue-Everett 5 25.00%
Spokane 3 15.00%
Kennewick-Pasco-Richland 1 5.00%
Yakima 2 10.00%
Olympia 5 25.00%
Bremerton-Silverdale 0 0%
Bellingham 2 10.00%
Wenatchee-East Wenatchee 0 0%
Mount Vernon-Anacortes 1 5.00%
Longview 0 0%
Portland-Vancouver-Hillsboro 1 5.00%
Lewiston 0 0%
Tacoma 0 0%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 10:55 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobefobik View Post
You read my mind . You've probably seen me inquiring on other threads trying to figure out where to move. I've actually narrowed it down to Spokane, Coeur D'Alene, and Missoula.

But Spokane seems to have everything I'm looking for. It's also not too far away from family. A few years ago I actually had an interview there with a company...I got the job, but my family didn't want me to move that far away, even though it's only about 5 hours. But I've had it over here on the west side and I'm ready for a change whether they like it or not.

Why were you only there 5 months?
Yeah, I've seen you hunting. I left "home" (So. Cal) at 20, and have lived in three different areas around the west since then (28 now). Wouldn't change leaving home for a minute.

5 hours isn't even that far! Are you in Beaverton now? Heck, when I was up in Spokane, part of my job required me to drive to places like Seattle and Portland, and return to Spokane the same day! It can be done easily (driving), not to mention the cheapo flights (or trains) that run between Spokie and PDX/SEA multiple times daily....

Long story short re: my time in Spokane:
-moved to Denver and got a job
-quickly rose through ranks
-offered relo to Spokane to manage new accounts/operate: accepted and moved (bounced between motel in Spokane and trailer in Post Falls, ID for temp. residence)
-got settled, rented old house on Sunset Hill, brought wife/kids from Denver
-after 5 months of endlessly traveling thru NW, local competitor outbid us for company's most important Spokane account
-no need for me there anymore
-move family/me back to Denver to keep job.

I found out a lot about myself in that short time there. Aesthetically, I could probably stay in the I-90 corridor between Spokane and Missoula for the rest of my life and be perfectly content with it.

I hope to return for good sometime before I die. But for now and the foreseeable future, I have to pay the bills, so I get to put up with living in Denver until that becomes a bit less important (like say retirement, or a permanent telecommute status or something ).

Old 01-23-2012, 03:28 PM

850 posts, read 3,716,428 times
Hey David, Thanks for your experience. There's something very appealing to me about the high desert and high mountainous areas. Hopefully by this summer something will have worked out. Your job wouldn't perhaps manage a certain cellular account would it? That's the company I applied for. From what I understand it's a pretty big company in Spokane.

Well maybe in the future you'll get to move back. But for now Denver doesn't seem to bad, at least aesthetically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 04:26 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobefobik View Post
Hey David, Thanks for your experience. There's something very appealing to me about the high desert and high mountainous areas. Hopefully by this summer something will have worked out. Your job wouldn't perhaps manage a certain cellular account would it? That's the company I applied for. From what I understand it's a pretty big company in Spokane.

Well maybe in the future you'll get to move back. But for now Denver doesn't seem to bad, at least aesthetically.
Nope, we're in transportation, got screwed by the company with the big brown trucks.

Yeah, it could be worse, Denver is ugly in comparison to much of the NW, but it's better than a lot of places.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington