Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2012, 11:20 AM

3 posts, read 9,499 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

When I am finished with school I decided that after living all of my life in Peachtree City GA that I wanted to live in a quiet suburban town, as far away from home as possible. It's not that I hate georgia, but I just really want a change of scenery considering the only time I ever left my state was to go to disneyworld or the occasional visit to south carolina.

I plan on spending most of my life travelling around the world, but I don't want to live in georgia while I pursue my career as an air traffic controller. But at the same time I still wanted to live in a nice town like peachtree city.

That's when I stumbled upon Mukilteo.

Minus the miles upon miles of bike paths in peachtree city, Mukilteo seems like the same sort of atmosphere.

It's about 30 mins away from the nearest city (Seattle), the homes are nice, and the parks and beaches are cool too! (I've only een to the beach 3 times in my life)

Everything sounds spectacular,but...

What is the actual town like? are there shopping centers and a variety of stores? What about bars or clubs? Basiclly, is there eough in ukilteo to satisfy the mid- 20 to early 30 year old in this town? Or is this strictly a family town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 11:26 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,846,653 times
I'm betting you'll be pretty bored in Mukilteo. It's very suburban with few bars and the beach isn't quite what you think of when you think of a beach. If you're looking for bars or a social life you'd be better off in some parts of Everett or in Seattle's north end. The Mukilteo/Lynnwood/Mill Creek area is a huge boring area. I hate working there as a younger person since it's about 30 minutes away from anywhere worth living without having a family (and I'm not exactly a nightclubbin' social butterfly).

Old 01-27-2012, 12:02 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
Mukilteo is a great place to spend time growing up.

You'd probably be going to Seattle for true nightlife though.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:35 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
Since you're talking about an air craft controller job and looking up in that area, does that mean you got a job at Paine field?

Garfunkel's right, what you probably envision beach might not fit the actual beach that is there. We don't have the warm waters and sand... a lot tend to be cold water and rocky. But what a spectacular views it has. I do like Mukilteo Lighthouse Park, which has the character with the old buildings, unique restaurants, et. c. However, it's a PITA to get there sometimes as there's limited parking, and long lines due to the ferry.

With that said,
Quote:
What is the actual town like? are there shopping centers and a variety of stores? What about bars or clubs? Basiclly, is there enough in Mukilteo to satisfy the mid- 20 to early 30 year old in this town? Or is this strictly a family town?
There isn't an actual downtown core (unless you want to count the Lighthouse Park, that's not much). For shopping centers and variety of stores, you would be going to Lynnwood and some in Everett. Everett has a small bar scenes, but Seattle offers more variety. Mukilteo is pure bland suburbia... of course with views, but for most part... this doesn't really make Mukilteo unique. It is definitely a family town with good schools.

Another point to consider, Mukilteo is actually a bit of an inconvenience to get to. (But if you're already working at Paine Field, then this wouldn't matter.) Mukilteo to Seattle may be around 35 mins, but it doesn't really factor the traffic. If you're going during rush hour, it could very well be 50+ mins. It does offer a commuter heavy rail train to Seattle, but the North line (Between Edmonds and Everett) has always been notoriously unreliable for part of the year... due to heavy rains and mudslides. There are buses that are pretty reliable as well.

I can't really say Mukilteo is the town for you especially when there are plenty other good options to check out. If you don't work at Paine Field, do keep in mind that traffic is terrible here and its best to stay in that general area (work north of Seattle, live there; work south of Seattle, live there)

Old 01-27-2012, 02:10 PM

I'm probably going to be assigned a tower position in the king county airport (whatever its called) or the en route center in renton. I'd been looking at houses south of seattle, but i'm not going to lie,.. the houses in mukilteo are SPECTACULAR for the price.

Does anyone know any good houses south of seattle? (nothing on mercer, ecause I cant afford the 2 mil houses there XD)

Old 01-27-2012, 02:42 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
Oooh, Mukilteo to Boeing Field or Renton? No Bueño.

The thing about Mukilteo that it was developed predominantly as a master planned community. There isn't really anything like it close to Boeing Field-- the homes are much older or if new, not built as a community. Are you looking for more of a Master planned community? Then Eastern Renton would be your best bet-- they have more of those kinds of home, but without the water views.

You could also check into Normandy Park, some parts of West Seattle, some parts of Beacon Hill and Columbia City area. But you haven't mention what exactly is your budget, so I'm just tossing out the popular choices to check out.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:02 PM

well I plan on pulling in around 85-110k per year obviously ill be staying in an apartment for a while lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington