Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Washington State Residents (honor system, please): Gay Marriage?
I Strongly Support 23 51.11%
I Support 6 13.33%
I’m Neutral 6 13.33%
I Oppose 5 11.11%
I Strongly Oppose 5 11.11%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 02:28 AM

878 posts, read 1,653,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobefobik View Post
How about you stick to the thread and contribute relevant thoughts instead of attacking others' opinions? The OP asked for the reason why someone voted a certain way, and the poster did so.

Unless you live in a bubble you should realize that millions (probably billions) of other people are also opposed to gay marriage.

I'm opposed to gay marriage, but I also feel that everyone has the right to do with their lives and live the way they want to. It's their God-given right. I'm not a judge, so who am I to say what others do? In the end we're all responsible for our own actions.
Thanks. I pretty much feel the same way.

As I said in my original post, I don't care what gays do behind close doors. Everyone does have the right do with their lives what they want... but I don't need to know about it while they are in public. That's a common problem it seems... gays want people to know they are gay and now they will want everyone to know they are married when the bottom line is none of us care.

I didn't vote for it and I won't be voting for this governor either... although I'm sure others will. That's why she signed this, it's an election year after all...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 03:02 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,253,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC2k11 View Post

I didn't vote for it and I won't be voting for this governor either... although I'm sure others will. That's why she signed this, it's an election year after all...
Uh, no.

She didn't sign this because it's an election year. She is in the last year of her second - and last - term of governor. She had nothing to gain by signing this.

None of us will be voting for her because she CAN'T run again.

I really believe Governor Gregoire signed this for the very reason she said she did - as a matter of conscience.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Uh, no.

She didn't sign this because it's an election year. She is in the last year of her second - and last - term of governor. She had nothing to gain by signing this.

None of us will be voting for her because she CAN'T run again.

I really believe Governor Gregoire signed this for the very reason she said she did - as a matter of conscience.
My bad... haven't been a resident long and not up to speed on WA politics yet. I did read on these forums though "She's a pretty horrible governor" from others so I just assumed she was signing it for votes but now I will change my opinion and assume she's signing to to put out the flames.

At any rate, as said I don't care what people do with their personal lives... my issue is when it interferes with mine such as what I mentioned earlier... the fact I don't need to know about it while they are in public. That's a common problem it seems... gays want people to know they are gay and now they will want everyone to know they are married when the bottom line is none of us care.

I am going to make it a point that if I ever meet a gay couple to ask them who is the husband and who is the wife.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:43 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,253,192 times
Quote:

At any rate, as said I don't care what people do with their personal lives... my issue is when it interferes with mine such as what I mentioned earlier... the fact I don't need to know about it while they are in public. That's a common problem it seems... gays want people to know they are gay and now they will want everyone to know they are married when the bottom line is none of us care.

I am going to make it a point that if I ever meet a gay couple to ask them who is the husband and who is the wife.

Inquiring minds want to know

If you "don't care," why would you ask such a stupid question of people you have just met?

Contradict yourself much?

Old 02-16-2012, 08:47 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
Quote:
My bad... haven't been a resident long and not up to speed on WA politics yet. I did read on these forums though "She's a pretty horrible governor" from others so I just assumed she was signing it for votes but now I will change my opinion and assume she's signing to to put out the flames.

Inquiring minds want to know.
Gays aren't asking for more than to be treated the same. It's you that wants to treat them differently by implying they should live in a way that makes sure you don't know they're gay. They may be doing that in Georgia but this isn't the South. It's a different culture, one that may not be suitable for everyone.

I can imagine the very thing you've written being uttered 40-50 years ago about interracial marriage. "I don't care what they do behind closed doors but why does that mixed couple need to be married? They keep trying to throw their relationship in my face." The implication being they need to hide their heads in shame. It's lunacy of course that the degree of melanin in a person's skin would limit who they were allowed to marry, but that's what it was. I can't imagine it.

You watch what happens to the economies of certain areas of the country over the course of a few decades should they be successful in legally controlling the lifestyle choices of others. They will not attract the most modern companies because those younger generations will not want to live there. Look at the ages of these start-ups in Silicon Valley. Look at where the venture capital is going in the US. Interactive Map: The United States of Venture Capital - Venture Capital Dispatch - WSJ. You may think it doesn't matter but it does.

If Civil Rights had been put to a vote, it would have failed. That's hard to imagine now too and I expect my children's children won't be remotely interested in the gay couple down the street - hopefully because they are living in a lucrative economy where they are busy and don't have time to worry about silly things like that.

Last edited by Seacove; 02-16-2012 at 09:01 AM..

Old 02-16-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
If you "don't care," why would you ask such a stupid question of people you have just met?

Contradict yourself much?
Turn your sarcasm detector up about 2 clicks. Well... make that 3 clicks.

I said I don't care and I don't... until it interferes with my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Gays aren't asking for more than to be treated the same. It's you that wants to treat them differently by implying they should live in a way that makes sure you don't know they're gay. They may be doing that in Georgia but this isn't the South. It's a different culture, one that may not be suitable for everyone.

I can imagine the very thing you've written being uttered 40-50 years ago about interracial marriage. "I don't care what they do behind closed doors but why does that mixed couple need to be married? They keep trying to throw their relationship in my face." The implication being they need to hide their heads in shame. It's lunacy of course that the degree of melanin in a person's skin would limit who they were allowed to marry, but that's what it was. I can't imagine it.

If Civil Rights had been put to a vote, it would have failed. That's hard to imagine now too and I expect my children's children won't be remotely interested in the gay couple down the street - hopefully because they are living in a lucrative economy where they are busy and don't have time to worry about silly things like that.
I'm sure in 50 years gay marriage will be accepted and recognized in all 50 states... but for now it isn't.

What baffles me is the "gays aren't asking for more than to be treated the same" statement. It's not the same.

Man/Man and Woman/Woman marriage is not the same as a Man/Woman marriage and since you are comparing it to interracial marriages I'll go ahead and say it's not the same as that either.

Anyway, I'm done commenting on this thread. You have your opinion and I have mine. I'd rather not get into a flame war because we aren't going to agree. I didn't vote for gay marriage and I didn't vote for Obama either... but I can live with both.

Good luck.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:51 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
Quote:

I said I don't care and I don't... until it interferes with my life.

I'm sure in 50 years gay marriage will be accepted and recognized in all 50 states... but for now it isn't.

What baffles me is the "gays aren't asking for more than to be treated the same" statement. It's not the same.

Man/Man and Woman/Woman marriage is not the same as a Man/Woman marriage and since you are comparing it to interracial marriages I'll go ahead and say it's not the same as that either.
Gay marriage doesn't affect anyone but the two that are married. They aren't bothering you and they aren't bothering me so how about we leave them alone and let them live their lives?

Interracial marriage received the same kind of resistance we are seeing now.

If you know gay marriage will be accepted and recognized eventually, you have to know that starts somewhere. Some people and places lead while others cling to their horse and buggy. If you think this won't have an economic impact as educated younger generations embrace the more modern, forward thinking geographies, you are not paying attention to what is happening. There is a reason why wealthy tech companies are supporting this - it's the right thing to do, but also, it's where the money is and will be.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:08 PM

1,495 posts, read 1,672,180 times
Quote:
As I said in my original post, I don't care what gays do behind close doors. Everyone does have the right do with their lives what they want... but I don't need to know about it while they are in public. That's a common problem it seems... gays want people to know they are gay and now they will want everyone to know they are married when the bottom line is none of us care.
Let me guess, you also don't like it when people have a fish symbol on the back of their car?

Old 02-16-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Gay marriage doesn't affect anyone but the two that are married. They aren't bothering you and they aren't bothering me so how about we leave them alone and let them live their lives?

Interracial marriage received the same kind of resistance we are seeing now.

If you know gay marriage will be accepted and recognized eventually, you have to know that starts somewhere. Some people and places lead while others cling to their horse and buggy. If you think this won't have an economic impact as educated younger generations embrace the more modern, forward thinking geographies, you are not paying attention to what is happening. There is a reason why wealthy tech companies are supporting this - it's the right thing to do, but also, it's where the money is and will be.
Ok.. I'll bite.... and agree.

For the record I once had a gay roommate for about 4 months in 2008 and I told him the same thing... I am not that way and as long as you respect me I'll respect you and we can be friends with no issues... and we got along fine.

Never thought about the economic impact but anything that helps with that I'm all for. I guess I am sticking my foot in my mouth at this point but it's all good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmition View Post
Let me guess, you also don't like it when people have a fish symbol on the back of their car?
To be perfectly and 100% honest with you I have no idea what the fish symbol stands for... I've seen it quite a few times but never researched into what it meant...

Not sure if I've seen it since I arrived in WA but probably have. At any rate, I know I could Google it and find out what it stands for but I'll go ahead and let you tell me.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:42 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,376,749 times
My views on this have changed over the years. While I always thought the idea rather silly, and still do, I'd like the state to move on from this subject. That's why I oppose the referendum effort to reverse this. Even if the referendum succeeds , it will only be a temporary victory, as eventually a majority will support gay marriage sometime down the road, or worse the courts will declare it a "right" and impose it upon the state. Better to leave it as it is and leave this subject behind.
I've found it a little ironic that the more the institution of marriage deteriorates, the more people want access to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington