Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 07:51 PM

526 posts, read 898,923 times

Advertisements

My uneducated opinion: it's all better than Texas. Get a job wherever you can & explore from there....there's alot to discover here before you settle down!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 10:01 PM

82 posts, read 288,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eidas View Post
My uneducated opinion: it's all better than Texas. Get a job wherever you can & explore from there....there's alot to discover here before you settle down!
Haha, have you been to Texas? I'm just wondering why you hate it. I do hate it here, but I'd like another fresh opinion.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:49 PM

82 posts, read 288,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWbyNW View Post
If you have further questions, I would be happy to help.

Photo Credit: Everett, Washington (AJM NWPJ) | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ajmstudios/4975763580/ - broken link)

Everett has about 104,000 people and is one of many commercial centers in Snohomish County. There are many others including Lynnwood and Marysville. Finding a home around Lake Stevens or Granite Falls seems like a possible fit for you as well. They are close to the shopping in Everett, and Lake Stevens has a burgeoning commercial area that includes a Target store. The further you leave these communities, the more isolated the feel. Past Granite Falls, you work your way up the Robe Valley past numerous mountain communities like Robe, Verlot, and Silverton. Once you hit Silverton, it is complete isolation, that can lead to being cut off to the world by snow.

Photo Credit: Silverton, Washington (AJM NWPJ) | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ajmstudios/4197316959/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Along Highway two, Monroe is the main town on this route with a growing commercial sector, a Fred Meyer, and other chain businesses, as well as a historic downtown core. Many rivers meander around this region, great for fishing. Communities extending east from Monroe are Sultan, Startup, Gold Bar (which has a waterfall), and as far east as Skykomish which is truly a mountain town. Sultan has some services, including a sheriff's substation, and is within 8 minutes to Monroe. Skykomish is about 40 minutes from Monroe. It used to be a big railroad town, but today sits mostly silent with homes and a few businesses and a small branch library. Skykomish is part of King County, but can not be reached without going through Snohomish County, so services can be slower to arrive.

Arlington may be a good fit, especially the further east you go. Shopping and a modern decent sized city will be longer to get to from here though. Darrington is a small town surrounded by mountains, and is a 40 minute drive to get to Arlington. They are just a hop and a skip to the mountains and rivers which surround them.

Photo Credit: Darrington, Washington (AJM NWPJ) | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ajmstudios/4283326633/ - broken link)

Snohomish County is the only choice of course. Look at Skagit, and Whatcom counties. I can provide more info on them if you want. Skagit County has the mountain villages of Hamilton, Lymna, and Concrete. Interesting there too. Whatcom has some as well like Acme, and real close to the modern city shopping is Sudden Valley.

Thank you once again for the great help! You are definitely helping me narrow down my choices, and I sure hope this is a taste of the Washington hospitality. My fiancee and I will go over everything that you've told me here, and begin picking out a spot to visit before moving. I still have about a year left in Nursing school, then I'll be done and hopefully free to roam Washington by passing the state test there too. But, I do intend on visiting as many places as I can before hand, and you've helped me tremendously. Thank you for being so generous.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:47 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,046,591 times
According to National Geographic two of the top five mountain towns were in Washington and Oregon. Wenatchee and Hood River.

Of course, if you want rain Wenatchee is off the list. My daughter was almost two before she saw rain. We were flying to Hawaii and it rained as we were leaving Seattle. Hood River has plenty of rain.

Here is the link: Best Places to Live '07 - National Geographic Adventure Magazine

Old 03-02-2012, 04:07 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,826,181 times
If you could find a job there and be able to afford it, look into the Eastsound area. Eastsound is located on Oscas Island, which, while not exactly mountainous, is fairly hilly, with large beautiful valleys between the hills. The highest point in San Juan County, Mt. Constitution, is also located on the island in Moran State Park, and offers many hiking trails along lakes, a creek with a few waterfalls, through the woods, and up to a tower at the top with spectacular views in all directions on clear days. It is also a quiet community, save for the summer months due to tourists, and is a great place for someone looking for inspiration and peace. Also a very safe place. Many people don't even lock their houses or their cars. There are also many other nice communities on Orcas Island, all within about a half hour drive to Eastsound (the largest on the island, and its economic hub, located on the isthmus between the east and west sides of the island). However, you will have to live on the ferry's schedule if you intend to visit the mainland often. I say a small price to pay if you can make it there! Although not as hilly, Friday Harbor on San Juan Island may also be a good location.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:14 PM

91 posts, read 207,211 times
Stay away from Port Angeles. Anything waaay out here on the peninsula is isolated and cut off. Trust me. It will be a shock to you how the people are out here. If if didn't happen on the peninsula, they don't know or care to know about it. I just moved here in July and as soon as my lease is up, I'm blasting off!

Old 03-26-2012, 03:02 PM

510 posts, read 889,111 times
Somewhat agree about Port Angeles. Just because it is adjacent to mountains doesn't make it a mountain town. Seems the town barely realizes there are mountains on its doorstep. The town is not too different from any industrial mill town found anywhere in the NW. But the town can't really develop much in the mountains because of all the land that is controlled by national park.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:52 PM

611 posts, read 1,205,028 times
Seattle's rain fall is less than many cities...what the numbers don't tell you is that the number of days it rains tends to be much higher. But if you really like rain, then Western Washington is just for you.
It looks like you are putting all of your research in the Cascades region. Have you looked at the Olympics? Olympia and Shelton both have hospitals and the mountains are in view. Hoodsport is within a short commute of Shelton and you can be hiking up Mt. Elinor within minutes. Olympia has the larger hospital and is within an hour of the eastern (and wetter) Olympics. That part of the Olympic chain gets more rain than the more rain than the section closer to the Pacific.
You might also look along I-90. I know there is a hospital in Snoqualmie and lots of little towns all along the highway.
As far as your nursing license, I believe that you can take your boards in Texas and apply to have a Washington endorcement to your TX license. You can contact the WA state Dept. of Health to verify this. I wouldn't want to take the NCLEX again if I didn't have to . You will need to take a 7 hour AIDS class but that's easy enough to get done.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,486 times
Remember rain in the Seattle area will not be like other towns. I am in Olympia, more days of rain in the lower 48 than any other town at 50 inches a year. But usually not hard rain. Lots of gray skies. I love it.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:21 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,215,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post

I'd say your best bet would be Snoqualmie/North Bend (and north and south of those cities). We have a lot of hospitals that are opening their clinics in Issaquah, Redmond, et. c
I agree...look for something in the rural area around North Bend. You will have 99% of what you need and the other 1% within 30 minutes down I90 to Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington