Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 12:38 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,294,617 times

Advertisements

Can your mom take care of your son for a couple months while you find a place and a job? Maybe even until the end of his school year? If it's just you, you can pack just what you need and rent a room in someone else's home. Once you have a WA address the job hunt should be more successful, and once you have the job, you can get your own place and send for your son.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 06:20 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,174,886 times
Please get some help. I've had to go on antidepressants twice in my life and I can't tell you what a difference they made. I went from constant suicidal thoughts to wondering why in the world anyone would even think of killing themselves. The "woe is me" victim mentality will permeate every aspect of your personality and make you very unattractive to prospective employers. And don't forget the weather here in the PNW is very dreary more months of the year than not, and that many people get depressed here just from that.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:20 PM

17 posts, read 56,848 times
I am really sorry to hear you are feeling so low. My family is also planning a move to the NW soon and it has been really fun for me to read your posts. While you and I are in different situations, many of our challenges are quite similar. You make me feel like we are not alone in our struggles and fears.

I keep wondering why you haven't mentioned moving to Lewis County as our family plans on doing in a few short weeks. There are quite a few reasonably priced rentals in Centralia and the outlet malls are looking for managers at several stores including a new Chico's. The schools seem decent (at least better than Idaho) and there are lots of family activities too, like mommy groups and a co-op daycare.

We agree, it is really, really difficult to find housing and jobs from afar. But not impossible. Especially in Lewis County where things seem a little less "city" and people are more open to working with you as a person. Lewis County is totally commutable for Olympia area jobs too.

So you are feeling defeated. I am sorry. But you owe it to your child to make yourself happy. He deserves a happy mama. You know? And it is SO hard to raise a child by yourself in Zion. We get it. We care about you. We KNOW you can do this.

"Pain is your friend; it is your ally. Pain reminds you to finish the job and get the hell home. Pain tells you when you have been seriously wounded. And you know what the best thing about pain is? It tells you you're not dead yet!"

You're not dead yet sister. What is your next step to living your dream? What's your plan? How can we help?

Old 03-03-2012, 04:24 PM

710 posts, read 1,397,947 times
DO NOT GIVE UP!!!! I had this feeling for years and have just kept saving and saving and saving until I felt I had MORE than enough to feel comfortable making this move. It's a calculated risk if you save and research and do it right - meaning, it's not like you are just up and leaving irresponsibly. I am moving next month, already found an apartment in a fantastic area - and no, I don't have a job in Seattle yet, but I didn't have to pay all my rent in advance or do anything special to get the apartment. It is possible to move without a job and get a place to live. You just have to show you are responsible (ie - savings, good credit, good rental history, etc.). As far a jobs go, I've had a couple of phone interviews while here in TX and one in-person interview when I was up there the end of February. Who knows if that will turn into a job, but it's still a possibility. Once I put in my notice on April 2nd, I will be posting all over the web, etc. looking for jobs as I will not longer fear my employer here in TX will find my resume. I'll also be attending a conference in my field the week after I get there to try and get some networking going.

Looking for a job will BECOME my job since I will have so much free time and I don't want to dwell on that. I plan to go to the library for a few hours a day (like it's a job) and just plan everything like a schedule so it feels like I'm progressing towards my goal of finding a job. Then in September I'll be enroling in a graduate certificate program at UW to keep my skills up (especially if I haven't found a job in my field by then). I'll probably focus on my area for a few months, and if not bites, start slowly going down the ladder to less appealing jobs. I hope I don't have to do that, but I will if I have to! There is NO WAY in hell I'm coming back to Texas, so it'll just have to work out. But yeah, it's not easy, but you just can't give up.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:51 PM

410 posts, read 1,521,818 times
Bought our bus tickets today. We will be in NW Washington from April 2-7th for a look see. Hoping things will pick up before then and we can just move there.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:17 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Well done Opera, I hope everything turns out well for you. You can see the area and decide if it's really for you, if it is, you can get a PO Box with a local address, possibly change your drivers license (they will only give you a temp and will mail the actual license so the address must be physical and local but perhaps your hotel can be used), apply throughout all the malls and temp agencies and make plans to move. With planning, a lot can be done in a week. Nothing happens until you make it happen. Good luck!

Old 03-21-2012, 08:30 PM

23 posts, read 46,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC2k11 View Post
WorkSource is how I landed my job in Washington state while still living in Georgia.

I did all the paperwork, drug screening, background, etc... in GA, had the results overnighted here, got the job offer in writing and moved here on my own dime... there was no relocation paid. I worked 5 months as a temp for Aerotek before going permanent with the aerospace company in October. It was a huge roll of the dice that worked out better than I could have ever imagined.

It is difficult to land a job from out of state, but not impossible by any means.
I am a Georgia native looking to relocate to Washington as well. This gives me hope, so thank you for posting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington