Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2007, 08:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,834 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are thinking of moving out of Southern Cali (Hemet) But we have no clue where we should move. I want some where safe and he wants somewhere cheap. But where is that? I dont really care about weather I just dont want some place thats infested with Drugs. Were young and were trying to start our lives....Can anyone help??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 08:11 PM

116 posts, read 371,480 times
school maybe?

Old 09-10-2007, 11:30 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,603,480 times
Tri-Cities, Washington. (avoid certain areas of Pasco).

Pocatello or Idaho Falls , Idaho.

Roseburg, Medford,or Grants Pass, Oregon.

There are still safe, affordable, areas in the Northwest.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:01 AM

26 posts, read 98,805 times
I live pretty close to hemet.....Its not the best place to live. There is an underlying drug thing there. BUT if you dont surround yourself with those kinda people it wouldn't be that bad. There is also a mix of retired people there. I wouldn't recommend buying in CA right now. The market is pretty bad and now getting a loan is near impossible! Give it a couple years.......Good luck

Old 09-11-2007, 10:03 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,770,679 times
How do you plan to support yourself? Being 18 and uneducated doesn't give you many options as far as career choices.

But don't let that stop you. Go out and see the world.

You are too young and lack the life experience to think of it as "starting a life with your finace." Think of it as "having an adventure".

Chances are that in a couple of years you won't be with that same person anyway and you can always go back to Hemet and get into Community College.

Old 09-11-2007, 07:36 PM

116 posts, read 371,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Tri-Cities, Washington. (avoid certain areas of Pasco).

Pocatello or Idaho Falls , Idaho.

Roseburg, Medford,or Grants Pass, Oregon.

There are still safe, affordable, areas in the Northwest.
I thinks shes trying to stay away from druggie areas medford=methford

Old 09-11-2007, 10:01 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,603,480 times
Meth is all over Oregon, not sure Medford has more of a problem with it...

Old 09-12-2007, 12:09 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,478,587 times
Default Southern California

I think it's a great idea to think of a move just starting out as an adventure, as a previous poster mentioned.

When I was 22 I moved from a suburb of Boston to Redlands, CA (next to San Bernardino) after college. I had a job offer in both places and figured that I could always go back "home". I ended up living in So. CA. for 22 years! It was one of the best things I ever did. One thing about moving to So. CA when you are young is that you can compromise more easily on ammenities of living (go to laundermats more easily, live in cheaper areas and take road trips to amazing areas while staying in Motel 6 - still around?).

I also agree that you won't be the same person in two-three years. You can always go back home.

That said, So CA is more difficult to live frugally now than 25 years ago. People live out where I lived (I think 40 min east of Hemet) and commute to LA and Orange County for work. I left So CA because I got priced out of the rental market. I am on a fixed income now and wasn't getting by too well. You could see the housing tracts - commuter homes, not much right up to neighbors windows, for 550K - crowding in upon those of us scrambling to find affordable housing. Affordable eventually became not safe. I got out with about 2 years of thinking, looking. I didn't know about this forum then, this is the best resource for narrowing choices.

Maybe to help you with choices, I don't know the cost of living in Hemet. You do have to be concerned about drugs if you don't have lots of $. San Bernardino became pretty dangerous as the expensive houses pushed the rest of us to "less desirable places". Simultaneously, Norton Air Force base closed so we lost many middle class types and the area became more depressed. Now, the people with more $ didn't feel it. I eventually lived in a complex with 3 immediate neighbors selling drugs. Even if you don't hang around them, there is still alot of crime - car breakins, robberies - that goes with it.

If you want warm, sunny, and dry you could look out toward Palm Springs area. Not in Palm Springs proper, but out that way. Last I spoke to former neighbors that is where I heard people were moving (renters).

Best of luck. Someone in the Albuquerque forum just posted picture of a trip. Beautiful, take a look. The thread was just started yesterday... the poster took a trip from Central CA through ABQ and to Colorado Springs on a Greyhound bus package. Planning a vacation to destinations of consideration sounds fun and exciting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
View detailed profiles of: