Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 08:57 PM

405 posts, read 1,278,189 times

Advertisements

Washington is the most beautiful state in the Lower 48 of USA. Montana I would say would almost be tied, then comes Idaho and Oregon. I haven't been to Arizona, Utah or Colorado, but from pictures, I would say they would follow behind the states mentioned. However, the canyon scenery of those states have such a unique beauty that cannot be compared to the Pacific Northwest.. Apples and Oranges.

Nothing beats Alaska on this earth. Just nothing.. The Northern Cascades are so intriguing. I am looking forward to Summer, where I can go and hike all around them. Plus, unlike Montana and Alaska, you don't have to worry about Grizzly Bears. I am not sure if the Northern Cascades have moose, but I don't think the population is as dense as Idaho/Montana. Another benefit for those who spend a lot of time in the bush and don't like dealing with wildlife encounters, but want their share of awe-inspiring beauty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 12:21 AM

878 posts, read 1,650,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post

Don't you like sunny weather and hot weather?
Sun is fine, but I don't care for the heat. I moved here last May after 30+ years in Savannah, GA. Prior to moving here I had never been west of St. Louis, Missouri. I enjoyed the gorgeous summer in the 60's and 70's... and the rain (shouldn't it be called mist?) this winter hasn't bothered me in the slightest.

Tomorrow Savannah is expecting a record high of 90 degrees... tomorrow. This isn't an April Fools joke. Of course, for anyone who has ever lived in that part of the country they'll be quick to tell you that it isn't the heat, it's the HUMIDITY that makes it so horrible. If you like it sunny every day, with heat index warnings from April thru September, with skyrocketing electric bills anywhere from $300-$500 a month because you run your air conditioner 24/7 while Georgia Power raises their rates, and showering only to open your door and instantly be sweating again, then I'd suggest moving south. I am 100% serious about the air conditioning too... it doesn't matter if you set it at 68 or 78, it will run 24 hours a day.

For me, I don't like sweating to death while being invaded by insects all summer or having to hide inside behind air conditioning. Don't have that problem in Washington, and I'm quite happy here. Lovin' it!

What amazes me is so many people complain about the weather here being gray or rainy or cold but yet they still live here... My suggestion would be to spend a summer in Georgia (or Texas) and then re-evaluate your opinion.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:24 PM

26,400 posts, read 46,389,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticalDream View Post
Washington is the most beautiful state in the Lower 48 of USA. Montana I would say would almost be tied, then comes Idaho and Oregon. I haven't been to Arizona, Utah or Colorado, but from pictures, I would say they would follow behind the states mentioned. However, the canyon scenery of those states have such a unique beauty that cannot be compared to the Pacific Northwest.. Apples and Oranges.

Nothing beats Alaska on this earth. Just nothing.. The Northern Cascades are so intriguing. I am looking forward to Summer, where I can go and hike all around them. Plus, unlike Montana and Alaska, you don't have to worry about Grizzly Bears. I am not sure if the Northern Cascades have moose, but I don't think the population is as dense as Idaho/Montana. Another benefit for those who spend a lot of time in the bush and don't like dealing with wildlife encounters, but want their share of awe-inspiring beauty.
Ya, Washington, Oregon, Alaska and Montana are all up there on my "excellent scenery" list. However, I think you've missed Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont as well as some other states.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:00 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,660 posts, read 57,778,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
.., I think you've missed Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont as well as some other states.
And Nebraska and Kansas and Oklahoma, where your view is not ruined by a bunch of trees.

Glistening snow under a moonlit night on the prairie

And 6' tumbleweed hanging from the ceiling as a Christmas tree

Old 04-03-2012, 09:12 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,639,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthrabbit View Post
and nebraska and kansas and oklahoma, where your view is not ruined by a bunch of trees.
bwahahahaha...

Old 04-03-2012, 09:58 PM

1,010 posts, read 4,903,038 times
Beauty can be found everywhere -- just depends on your outlook. Hawaii is pretty darned beautiful but I wouldn't live there year round - I'll stick with WA for the most variety in seasonal scenery.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:01 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,866,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Ya, Washington, Oregon, Alaska and Montana are all up there on my "excellent scenery" list. However, I think you've missed Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont as well as some other states.
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder", the old saying goes ... true enough. I certainly have friendships with people I consider excellent judges of nature's bounties and beauties who think fields of corn and amber grain with zero elevation change is a gorgeous sight ... so too with a number of folks who are passionate about desert landscape. Personally, I find deserts fascinating, briefly ... quite briefly. Where's the shade!? I like trees and the color green. But, perhaps strangely, I also am obsessed with the beauty of being at sea, where there is, for most folks, nothing to look at.

Well, all that said, I lived in Maine long ago, and hiked the White and Green mountains of New Hampshire and Vermont extensively, as well. I'm with GraniteStater, on adding those states to the list of sensational. But I'll also throw in California as a knockout state, pretty much top to bottom.

Alaska? Over the top.

Hawaii? Well, I do live there part-time, on one of my boats ... and so I'm particularly attached. Blows me away every year when I return.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:22 PM

I've never been to New England or to New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine.. I am sure these places are very rich in beauty too.. There is definitely a rustic beauty the old buildings and atmosphere of the Northeast has that the west does not have. I can imagine the Smoky Mountains and much of the Northeast in Fall, could be considered more beautiful than anywhere.

Yeah, I forgot Hawaii.. How could I? It is just so far away, I forget about it. Hawaii is definitely on the top of the list of beautiful places. After watching Lost, I was very shocked at how beautiful Hawaii truly is.

However, to me Washington is the most beautiful in the lower 48.. The reason? It has jagged mountains, beautiful ocean and a unique water system called the Puget Sound. Where else can you see a 9000 ft wall of mountains rising right over the ocean (i.e. Olympics). Then you have the largest mountain in the lower 48 just rising all by itself (Mt Rainier). You have a touch of Norway, perhaps the most fjord like environment in the USA around Lake Chelan. Let's also not forget the Columbia Gorge, which is also half in Washington! Mt Baker is simply an amazing site to behold and has more prominence then even Mt Hood in Oregon. Washington you have very thick rain forest, the most dense in the USA. The trees in Washington rival those in Oregon are are thick and tall. I am partial to Sitka Spruce, which I believe is the most beautiful of all evergreen trees, although not the tallest.

Canyons are great, changing color deciduous forests are great, rolling hills are nice, jungles and prairies have their place. However, Washington just has such a diverse geography and the beauty is stunning. It is hard to get tired of the beauty there. Even though I would love canyons.. Rocks after rocks, I think can get old after a while. I need water, trees and large peaks to arouse my senses for the ultimate sensation of beauty. I mean can anything in the lower 48 really compare to the prowess of snow-capped Mt Rainier or Baker on a clear day? Even the forgotten Mt Adams stands it ground against most other marvels in this country.

This is just my opinion.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:31 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,866,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticalDream View Post
I've never been to New England or to New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine.. I am sure these places are very rich in beauty too.. There is definitely a rustic beauty the old buildings and atmosphere of the Northeast has that the west does not have. I can imagine the Smoky Mountains and much of the Northeast in Fall, could be considered more beautiful than anywhere.

Yeah, I forgot Hawaii.. How could I? It is just so far away, I forget about it. Hawaii is definitely on the top of the list of beautiful places. After watching Lost, I was very shocked at how beautiful Hawaii truly is.

However, to me Washington is the most beautiful in the lower 48.. The reason? It has jagged mountains, beautiful ocean and a unique water system called the Puget Sound. Where else can you see a 9000 ft wall of mountains rising right over the ocean (i.e. Olympics). Then you have the largest mountain in the lower 48 just rising all by itself (Mt Rainier). You have a touch of Norway, perhaps the most fjord like environment in the USA around Lake Chelan. Let's also not forget the Columbia Gorge, which is also half in Washington! Mt Baker is simply an amazing site to behold and has more prominence then even Mt Hood in Oregon. Washington you have very thick rain forest, the most dense in the USA. The trees in Washington rival those in Oregon are are thick and tall. I am partial to Sitka Spruce, which I believe is the most beautiful of all evergreen trees, although not the tallest.

Canyons are great, changing color deciduous forests are great, rolling hills are nice, jungles and prairies have their place. However, Washington just has such a diverse geography and the beauty is stunning. It is hard to get tired of the beauty there. Even though I would love canyons.. Rocks after rocks, I think can get old after a while. I need water, trees and large peaks to arouse my senses for the ultimate sensation of beauty. But, that is me.
You have just described California, as well. Perhaps you are not as familiar with that state.

As an outdoorsman, I have made Puget Sound my home base for over 40 years for a reason. I don't have any argument with what you cite as its beauty. But I have also lived in New England, California, south of the Mason-Dixon Line, the mid-west (Michigan and Minnesota), and Hawaii.

To my tastes and experiences, the entire Pacific coast -- including Hawaii -- works best. New England is a very close second. Mid-west and south just don't start my motor -- although I enjoy spots like the Black Hills of S. Dakota and much of Wisconsin, some of Minnesota. The backbone of the west, Colorado, Montana, Utah, etc. are sensational, but much more limited than the coasts.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:10 PM

True, California is a very beautiful state. But, due to the fact I can never live there, I totally forgot it.. I would say California could rival the beauty of Washington in many ways. Due to the prohibitive gun laws, crime, traffic and high cost of living, I can never call California home. However, if that changes, I'd like to live there again.. The weather of California alone, could be a reason to live there. However, California does have beautiful mountains, forests, ocean, lakes, rivers, canyons.

Such a shame, the place has gotten so chaotic.

I'd still say Washington wins over California, but that is a close match.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington