Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2012, 02:14 PM

3 posts, read 3,047 times

Advertisements

Hello all! My husband and I live in Charlotte NC and we are thinking about moving up north. We want to buy a fixer upper with the intent of starting a family soon after. Suggestions? We are interested in a region that receives all the seasons of the year, low taxes, within an hr to a city (work), and populating a small garden in the back. Too picky??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 09:53 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digit3k View Post
Hello all! My husband and I live in Charlotte NC and we are thinking about moving up north. We want to buy a fixer upper with the intent of starting a family soon after. Suggestions? We are interested in a region that receives all the seasons of the year, low taxes, within an hr to a city (work), and populating a small garden in the back. Too picky??
Too broad and general, actually.

You can even be an "Urban farmer" in Seattle with 3 chickens. Not really something I'd worry about, you'll get this anyway.

Most people would complain/feel that Western Washington doesn't really receive 4 seasons... and in a lot of ways, it does not. It does lacks that pronounced and clear transition into each season and its bit different from the traditional sense of what people expect of seasons. Eastern Washington does have that pronounced and clear transition on the other hand.

Obviously the closer to a bigger city, the higher the taxes are. But is it relative? According to this, WA and NC's tax burdens rank almost the same: The Tax Tale: 50-state comparison - JSOnline (it breaks it down a bit). Best place to get work is Seattle, but there definitely are affordable areas nearby.

What is your budget and what are you looking for in terms of jobs? Are you looking for the big city, middle size or rural?

Other cities you could check out are:

Bellingham
Spokane
Vancouver, WA (their big city being Portland, OR)

Old 04-05-2012, 08:12 AM

Wow, great response! Very detailed!

Well, this is actually a working progress; it may take up to 5 years before we move! We just wanted a general idea of where to look so we can further plan ahead. The company I work for is growing at a rapid pace and I'm hoping they will open up a few stores in WA within the 5 year span... if not, then maybe I'll look for other jobs. I work in car sales, and the hubby just wants a "regular" 5-9, weekends off job instead of the unpredictable work-life of the food industry.

As for the house, I'd say anywhere from 50k-130k and put some elbow grease w/ another 20k ontop for projects. I think the max we'd pay for a house is 175k total, including renovations.

We are not too keen on big city, or at least not in Charlotte. The pace is way too fast! I found at times I would be speeding and complaining about slow traffic just to get home. Why is everyone in a rush to get nowhere, ya know? We are much more chill, and we like our fellow citizens to be as well. OH! Another big thing for us are plenty of trees and scenery. We absolutely love the fall, and nature in general.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:15 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,495,584 times
digit3k-you'll want to choose eastern Washington then. Western Washington is rainy and drizzly for 8 or 9 months of the year, so it's seasons are not as clearly defined as eastern Washington's are. In eastern Wshington, take a look in the net at Omak, Okanogan, Wenatchee is a nice-sized city, about 45,000 people, and has lots of restaurants and stores and an actual downtown to speak of. Omak, Okanogan, Tonasket, etc., are all pretty small. But you'll get more pronounced 4 seasons living on the "east side" of Washington state.

Now reading your post just above makes me want to suggest Maple Valley, outside of Bellingham, WA, on Washington's "west side." Check it out on the net...lots of trees and beauty, not a fast pace of life, either.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:48 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
Spokane, hands down.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:51 PM

615 posts, read 1,075,496 times
Quote:
I think the max we'd pay for a house is 175k total, including renovations
That would be difficult in Western Washington.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:07 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,572 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlB328 View Post
That would be difficult in Western Washington.
If not impossible. A fixer would cost that much with another $50k or more to bring it back to life. Tax rates may be similar but western WA (and the whole west coast) is much more expensive than NC, that's why Boeing has moved some of their operations out there from the Seattle area.

I would agree with Spokane though even their the home price is pushing it, tri-cities would be a better match for prices but not really 4 seasons and the "city" has some jobs but not much in the way of entertainment
and arts. I guess that's why it's cheaper.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:35 AM

The number for the house is flexible; I only have minimal research on how much a fixer-upper should cost! Thanks everyone, I will be looking into Spokane See you in the neighborhood in some years

Old 04-12-2012, 10:14 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,495,584 times
I was watching a TV show on the best places in America for single people to live for dating and guess what city was at the top? Spokane, WA! I believe it was on Northwest Cable News Network.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington