Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 08:30 AM

3,983 posts, read 5,015,433 times

Advertisements

Great story. It's hard not to fall in love with the astounding nature...I totally get what you're saying. It's not like I went gaga over Twilight, but there was something on a different level that touched me. I wasn't the "screaming for Edward" type of gal but I do have the soundtrack and it takes me to a place of peace weirdly...like I'm walking in the woods and smelling the fresh air.

Bharjala, I know you know what I mean...I'm glad you and your husband have found your path!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 10:34 AM

19 posts, read 37,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
Great story. It's hard not to fall in love with the astounding nature...I totally get what you're saying. It's not like I went gaga over Twilight, but there was something on a different level that touched me. I wasn't the "screaming for Edward" type of gal but I do have the soundtrack and it takes me to a place of peace weirdly...like I'm walking in the woods and smelling the fresh air.

Bharjala, I know you know what I mean...I'm glad you and your husband have found your path!
I'm not a "screaming for Edward" kind of girl either! I'm actually really into fanfiction, so, well, I squeal a little for all the guys.

re: Music, wow. When I got that first soundtrack, I was blown away. It really transports you! Same with New Moon and Eclipse, so you'd understand me when I say that there's nothing like listening to the soundtracks while driving along Lake Crescent and down the road to Forks. Really, anything emo/hipster (Band of Horses, Fleet Foxes) works too, but the sounds are so rich that just watching the trees pass by is intoxicating.

And along the lines of "a place of peace," I've never gone to Forks and felt out of place. Of course, there's 2 motels, 4 out of 5 crappy restaurants, two old Twilight stores and Forks Outfitters (part Ace hardware, part grocers). There's no metropolis there, there's not even a Walmart, but just going to the grocery store is like home. I'm from a place similar sized to Port Angeles, and my husband is from a place that's shockingly SMALLER than Forks, at a grand total of 70 people with a gas station and a closed down grocers (Copper City, MI). When we go to Forks, he tells me it feels like home. He loves it, he can fish all day, watch the sunset on the beach, struggle for cell reception and internet (just like home!). He says it's like a retreat, his primo vacation spot because it's so quiet. There are trails everywhere, fishing spots everywhere, river access everywhere, and it's literally a fishing capital for steelhead. They have little town barbeques at the grocery store sometimes, and pretty much everyone in the town is at the store on the weekends...

There are people that leave their Starbucks/Walmart/Costco/iPhone lives and bomb over to Forks and get scared out of their minds. They kinda make it sound like a bad, terrible place, when in reality, it's just a different lifestyle. If you've never had to plan your trips into town for supplies, or have a trip to a city be twice-a-year thing, then you'd never really get it .

Old 10-08-2013, 03:15 PM

3,983 posts, read 5,015,433 times
I love it!! Edward is a cutey pie, but I just like Robert Pattinson...I digress!

Yes, the music...what is it about the music? And driving down that stretch of road, you can't help but feel you're one with nature...I haven't been up that way in some years but I'd love to try Hurricane Ridge next time (closed to snow last time) and the Sol Duc area. Astounding!!

I know what you're saying about Forks...I personally don't think I could live there although everything you say sounds just fine to me. The fishing and the community bbq's...I have family in Seattle so that is my true destination. But heck, that area is a few hours away. One of the best vacations was an extended 2 day trip to Port Angeles/Sequim and of course we visited the beach at LaPush. But how I'd love to spend some time at Lake Crescent as well.

It really sounds like you and your husband have a firm grip on what you need and want out of life. If you can make it work in that area, I'll support you every second. You will know what kind of weather you can handle and what type of environment. It's true there isn't much there and that's a little sad...but if you know what to expect, then what's the big deal.

Of course, and you know this, many folks who have posted from afar, tend to romanticize Forks in an unrealistic way. YOU sound very realistic...other posters could take a lesson, IMO. Thanks for sharing and keep posting...I'd love to hear about your journey to get where you want to be!!

Old 10-15-2013, 06:41 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,826,181 times
La Push and the Hoh Rainforest are indeed beautiful areas. Just absolutely gorgeous. Still wouldn't want to live there lol.

If I had to live that way, Port Angeles would suffice.

Old 09-05-2015, 01:41 PM

1 posts, read 925 times
Hey coloradogreycat- I'm a reporter writing about the upcoming 10th anniversary of the Twilight books. I'm fascinated by your post and would love to learn more about your friend's experience moving to Fork.

I tried to send you a direct message, but my account seems to be restricted. Can you DM me? Would love to chat and give you more details / answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Old 09-08-2015, 06:52 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,744,831 times
I've been to Forks and hated it. I love theOlympic Pen and usually like people everywhere but Forks was unfriendly and just unpleasant. I love Port Townsend and Sequim.

Old 09-09-2015, 03:59 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
I was in Forks last summer and asked a local (early-30s male, I'd guess), "What do you do for fun in Forks?" He said, "Hang out at the bowling alley." "Anywhere else?" "Nope, that's it."

All I know, next time I go to Forks, I'm going to check out the bowling alley. If it goes away, however...

Note: Open until 10 "ISH" Mon-Fri. Closed on Sunday, unless you want to rent the place. Otherwise, if you want entertainment, go to a church, I presume.

Last edited by CrazyDonkey; 09-09-2015 at 04:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington