Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 01:43 PM

2,813 posts, read 5,597,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest_moon View Post
Good information. That is the first I have heard of green all winter. Is that in the Seattle region?
Yeah, in the seattle area. Since it does not get below freezing too often, grass stays green, and many bushes and trees do not lose their leaves. And then of course you have the evergreen trees, so it is very green here in seattle in winter.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 04:23 PM

14 posts, read 50,800 times
Default Warning about Kettle Falls, WA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestRepublic View Post

If i ever move back it will be to the Northeast Corner Metaline or Kettle Falls area not sure if there would be any demand for tutors up there though.
I saw this post because I was doing some research on Wenatchee.

I should let the OP know that Wenatchee has been called "an immensely corrupt river town." (Research sex abuses cases in 1990's and the long drawn out punitive baseless battle Wenatchee waged against innocent citizens. Even as far away as in Seattle the newspaper there made a plea to Wenatchee to do the right thing and not draw out the agony to those folks.)

But mainly I post because you mentioned Kettle Falls to this poor OP who may be naive of the small town ways in places such as Kettle. By far, Kettle is also an immensely corrupt river town. Not only will the gov't abuse the system, but recognize that the County sheriff used to work for KF, the county superior court judge worked for KF (Of course I am not suggesting favoritism, I'll let you decide). And you might ask, why do I care if I'm a law-abiding citizen?

You will have to care if you cross the wrong person's path. Even if you do no wrong of any kind. There seems to be a lot of crazies here. And I've seen the local cops use an honest person to fight their own (cop's) battles with the crazies--Cops write for the honest person regarding a complaint from a crazy one. But cops hand it to honest person and tel them (and I quote!) "you're gonna want to fight this" so that when the honest citizen wins in court (at honest guy's time, stress, inconvenience, and expense) the next time crazy calls the cops the cops can say they aren't coming out because court said crazy is crazy.

(Perhaps it is the locals eating the fish from Lake Roosevelt which are tainted with all sorts of toxins upsteam at Tech Comico. Lord knows most homes have a bigger garage to put their boat in than house to live in, and the only local event aimed at drawing in outsiders is a walleye tournament.) Which reminds me, the locals don't want tourism. You can't even rent a canoe or small craft at the KF marina for a day at any cost a family might afford. (Several hundred dollars)

Most local lawyers in such a small area won't go against anyone "in power" for anything for fear of being ostracized by a community dominated by malicious, abusive, slanderous small-minded people who see themselves (sadly, comicly) as big fish in their oh way too small pond. Local pastor won't open his mouth because he says it'll alienate his flock it took him so long to build. Local business owners, who you might see as a resource for what makes a town economically strong turn blind eyes to town bullies who mess with people's lives (and not with petty stuff, but genuine unconscionable harm, to include false criminal charges because they seemingly can manipulate the courts) because if they don't they'll be retaliated agsin and put outr of business.

School teachers in Kettle make $60,000 to $150,000 (if husband and wife both teach)/year base pay while most parents survive on one income form Boise at $30,000. And yet the schools are always asking for money for some fundraiser conceived in the mind of some ostentatious big fish with little thought given to practicality.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:08 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,245,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean-O View Post
I saw this post because I was doing some research on Wenatchee.

I should let the OP know that Wenatchee has been called "an immensely corrupt river town." (Research sex abuses cases in 1990's and the long drawn out punitive baseless battle Wenatchee waged against innocent citizens. Even as far away as in Seattle the newspaper there made a plea to Wenatchee to do the right thing and not draw out the agony to those folks.)

But mainly I post because you mentioned Kettle Falls to this poor OP who may be naive of the small town ways in places such as Kettle. By far, Kettle is also an immensely corrupt river town. Not only will the gov't abuse the system, but recognize that the County sheriff used to work for KF, the county superior court judge worked for KF (Of course I am not suggesting favoritism, I'll let you decide). And you might ask, why do I care if I'm a law-abiding citizen?

You will have to care if you cross the wrong person's path. Even if you do no wrong of any kind. There seems to be a lot of crazies here. And I've seen the local cops use an honest person to fight their own (cop's) battles with the crazies--Cops write for the honest person regarding a complaint from a crazy one. But cops hand it to honest person and tel them (and I quote!) "you're gonna want to fight this" so that when the honest citizen wins in court (at honest guy's time, stress, inconvenience, and expense) the next time crazy calls the cops the cops can say they aren't coming out because court said crazy is crazy.

(Perhaps it is the locals eating the fish from Lake Roosevelt which are tainted with all sorts of toxins upsteam at Tech Comico. Lord knows most homes have a bigger garage to put their boat in than house to live in, and the only local event aimed at drawing in outsiders is a walleye tournament.) Which reminds me, the locals don't want tourism. You can't even rent a canoe or small craft at the KF marina for a day at any cost a family might afford. (Several hundred dollars)

Most local lawyers in such a small area won't go against anyone "in power" for anything for fear of being ostracized by a community dominated by malicious, abusive, slanderous small-minded people who see themselves (sadly, comicly) as big fish in their oh way too small pond. Local pastor won't open his mouth because he says it'll alienate his flock it took him so long to build. Local business owners, who you might see as a resource for what makes a town economically strong turn blind eyes to town bullies who mess with people's lives (and not with petty stuff, but genuine unconscionable harm, to include false criminal charges because they seemingly can manipulate the courts) because if they don't they'll be retaliated agsin and put outr of business.

School teachers in Kettle make $60,000 to $150,000 (if husband and wife both teach)/year base pay while most parents survive on one income form Boise at $30,000. And yet the schools are always asking for money for some fundraiser conceived in the mind of some ostentatious big fish with little thought given to practicality.
Wow.

I am a professional in Colville and have an idea of who, and dealings with, some of the people that I think you are talking about - and would agree with exactly NONE of your post.

Your profile doesn't say where you're from, but your post reminds me of "cow-tipping" - something that people who are on the outside-looking-in THINK happens, but never actually does.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Wow.

I ... would agree with exactly NONE of your post.

Your profile doesn't say where you're from, but your post reminds me of "cow-tipping" - something that people who are on the outside-looking-in THINK happens, but never actually does.
NONE, really? Although I suspect you are a troll and reasoning with you won't accomplish anything, I'll try for the sake of public readers and OP to set you straight. And I thank you for the opportunity to prove many of my cursory points.

Do some research. Tech Comico pollution is researchable. What events (or lack thereof) which draw in the public to Kettle are researchable. The lack of canoes and exorbitant cost of boat rentals at Marina is researchable. Public teacher salaries and wages of local Boise are researchable. That the sheriff and judge worked for KF is researchable. Try calling any lawyer in Colville and name a big-name inside Kettle, pretending you have a case against them and you'll see they all claim conflict of interest and won't take your case, leaving you hanging out to dry or shuffling 4 hr round trip to Spokane is reality in small town like this one.

NOYB, but, yes, I truly lived for years in downtown Kettle Falls. If you live even as far as Colville, you simply may not know. In which case you are the one 'cow tipping.' Colville ain't Kettle by a long shot. If you don't or have never lived there, they your post is invalid, not mine.

The female cop there a few years back handed the ticket to the innocent party stating "you will want to fight this" and when chief (now sherrif) was confronted with that he threw up his hands saying nothing he could do once ticket was written, that person being cited had to fight it in court. The charge was faced, the charge dismissed and oddly enough the crazy soon stopped calling the police. I admit in that instance I am inferring the cop used the innocent party to fight their battle. but what would you conclude? If I were interested in violating privacy I could post the court case # because that is researchable, too.

It is also researchable that the next police chief in that town was fired or resigned for various reasons of misconduct which recent revelations include his bringing unfounded criminal charges because there is publicly available information as proof. Don't know much about the new chief. Hope he'll be better, but if we go by trend, who knows who's pulling the strings?

The reason "immensely corrupt river town" regarding Wenatchee is in quotes is because it is a quote from published sources. So, again, that is researchable. As are the sex abuse cases from 1990's to 2002.

I'll give you some examples of how big wigs think they should mis-spend money in Kettle. They spent $30,000 on a reader board. Most days all that's on it says: "If you want to post something on this board contact [insert e-mail address here]". If you drive thru Kettle and if you read that board, you eventually have that contact memorized. But the local school principal the other day asked 'how do I get something posted on the reader board?" Evidently, although she must go thru town every day she hadn't ever read that board, or she'd have that memorized. Good use of $30,000, huh? IMHO, the town big wigs wanted it because 'other towns' have it. Similarly, Colville school had a big drop-down American flag. So Kettle spent $5000 to get one too. I've seen it used for all of 30 seconds during a national anthem, then it rolls back up into the ceiling. It's emblazoned with a message saying it is "Honoring vets" but I read last month where that the same town only raised roughly $1000 for the local group that actually helps vets. Meanwhile, at school assemblies the kids sing along to recorded music. Kids don't get to learn how to play musical instruments or even see let alone read musical notation. (Colville does, so maybe you don't know Kettle doesn't.) With a river/lake so close for kids to summer recreate, the town can't afford to open their pool and give swimming lessons, they have to pass the hat (2 years in a row now) to those poor folks making $30,000 a year at Boise....

I think YOUR post smacks of you being part of the small-town bullying problem being addressed. You give reader nothing to find to support none of what you said at all, just attack mine saying nothing in it is true. Typical of those who badmouth others in these small towns.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Although I suspect you are a troll and reasoning with you won't accomplish anything,
I did my own research and I apologize, PS90, I should not have suggested you were simply a 'troll.' I see you have many and various opinions on a lot of topics among many cities and towns and you are probably hoping your opinions are useful, just as we all do here.

So I hope you--and others--will see my correction. Mea culpa! and take both of our opinions into account. I lived in Kettle for years. Not sure if PS90 ever has, and living in Colville is not the same thing. So consider the sources. I also am not a 'professional,' as PS90 is, so, that, too, may cause my experiences to be different, as well. I have no power among local big wigs or authorities and consequently maybe that is the ultimate problem.

I dunno, something like "all men are crated equal..." Not so, IMHO, in Kettle Falls, WA. Or, frankly, in any town like these. If you have no social or political or $ power, even if you live an honest hard working friendly life, prepare to live in fear and keep your mouth shut because if you tick off the wrong 'crazy' person in this type of environment you will pay whether that is morally or legally right or not.

And those who relocate from elsewhere in our country/world, even if they are FROM a small town, it has to come into your consideration that this area is ~2000 square miles of NOTHING BUT small towns. It is absolutely NOT like being a small town that is adjacent to several larger towns/cities/suburbs, urban sprawling into each other. These are isolated microcosms where gossip spreads like wildfire, hatemongers bully any peace-loving folks because peace-lovers won't fight back, and it's because big fish think they rule their particular town and no one holds them accountable for fear of retaliation, so a lot goes on for REAL behind closed doors and hushed mouths. Intimidation is a way of life. (these big fish folks here would be teeny tiny minnows in any city or even in a town in Eastern U.S. where anyone bullied can find objective impartial viewpoints and escape in just the next town over. Here the next town is too far away and anyway the folks who live there are related by blood work or play to those in the other one.)

(I witnessed a family who filed a school bullying report and instantly on social media there were full-grown adults suggesting a witch hunt and offering to bring the matches against the poor folks brave enough to file the report--by the way, that violates WA state law. You know who participated? A cub scout leader of the little kid involved, a school board member from that school, and other folks who simply didn't know what they were talking about, but needed to be part of the group doing the bullying.)

A national women's group with a local chapter, when they try to solicit members in Kettle Falls, makes a point of first stating they recognize the typical experience women have in Kettle Falls and they want prospective members to know they do not tolerate gossip and bullying. They are the exception. And, so, again, in professional circles the experience may be entirely different.

It is very very sad because my initial opinion of Kettle falls was ok. Years ago. But now I think it's time the Columbia River floods it out again and they start over fresh.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:
And those who relocate from elsewhere in our country/world, even if they are FROM a small town, it has to come into your consideration that this area is ~2000 square miles of NOTHING BUT small towns. It is absolutely NOT like being a small town that is adjacent to several larger towns/cities/suburbs, urban sprawling into each other.
I apologize if you inferred that I was bullying you. I merely disagreed with your opinion. To re-iterate, I still agree with absolutely nothing in your posts - but just be clear, I'm not arguing against your facts, I'm disagreeing with your reasoning that Kettle is somehow a horrible place to live.

Your quote above speaks volumes to me. I have ranted many times on this forum about the big-city-slicker who decides to move to the country, decides that the "real life" of the country isn't for them, and promptly begins bashing the small town at every opportunity. If you have ever lived in any other small town, then you would quickly realize that most of what you are pessimistically referring to as "corruption" is merely the reality of small town life. Most of this same stuff happen(ed) in Centralia, Omak, Wenatchee, Colfax, and Winthrop - and those are just the towns that I have lived.

For example, your comment about the corrupt lawyers is identical to people's rants about the lawyers in Centralia - that all the lawyers were "in cahoots" and trade wins back-and-forth.

Also, take this quote of yours for example: "I witnessed a family who filed a school bullying report and instantly on social media there were full-grown adults suggesting a witch hunt and offering to bring the matches against the poor folks brave enough to file the report"

Whether this happened in Kettle Falls or not is irrelevant, considering that a very similar incident was national news from a small town in Ohio this summer.

In other words, I get tired of people moving from Seattle to Ritzville (for example), discover that people aren't as "citified" and liberal as they had hoped, and discover that there isn't a five star restaurant down the road, and discover that Ritzville isn't Seattle with more open space - and decide they hate it.

Finally, your comment about Colville and Kettle Falls being somehow isolated from each other is extremely naive - they are the same community and have very similar city government.

If you feel the need to paint an awful picture of Kettle Falls, that's your opinion - small town life isn't for everyone, thankfully. That way, small towns stay small

Old 12-06-2013, 02:15 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,136,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocktavious View Post
Wenatchees a great place if youre looking for out door activitys but boringggg if you expect much from the down town there is out door conserts apple blossom and its walkable chelan or levenworth are alot better if you like small towns
Leavenworth is just a fake Bavarian tourist town. Fun to visit for its cheesy charm, but I can't see why anyone would live there unless they ran a business.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
Leavenworth is just a fake Bavarian tourist town. Fun to visit for its cheesy charm, but I can't see why anyone would live there unless they ran a business.
Well, something keeps drawing rich Seattle retirees to Leavenworth. I can think of quite a few of them that now call Leavenworth home (and quite a few more that have a second home there), including one of Seattle's top media moguls.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:14 AM

1 posts, read 3,042 times
Default Not all small towns are as awful as they allow in NE WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Your quote above speaks volumes to me. I have ranted many times on this forum about the big-city-slicker who decides to move to the country, decides that the "real life" of the country isn't for them, and promptly begins bashing the small town at every opportunity. If you have ever lived in any other small town, then you would quickly realize that most of what you are pessimistically referring to as "corruption" is merely the reality of small town life. Most of this same stuff happen(ed) in Centralia, Omak, Wenatchee, Colfax, and Winthrop - and those are just the towns that I have lived.

In other words, I get tired of people moving from Seattle to Ritzville (for example), discover that people aren't as "citified" and liberal as they had hoped, and discover that there isn't a five star restaurant down the road, and discover that Ritzville isn't Seattle with more open space - and decide they hate it.

Finally, your comment about Colville and Kettle Falls being somehow isolated from each other is extremely naive - they are the same community and have very similar city government.

If you feel the need to paint an awful picture of Kettle Falls, that's your opinion - small town life isn't for everyone, thankfully. That way, small towns stay small
I've lived in small towns my whole life (from pop 200 to 13,000 tops) and I absolutely understand what Dean-O was trying to say and I also know folks just like PS90 who will defend their right to live in a I don't know another word so I'll say "corrupt" small town to their death. And so folks considering moving to anywhere in NEWA Northeast Washington need to be made aware.

Yes, the folks who live in these towns want them to stay small. They have little to no tourism expectations.
And that leads to poor economies. And no influx of new blood. That family tree resembling a fencepost can in some cases create the crazies Dean-O mentioned, but not every small town = Deliverance. I've lived in quality small towns with a useful industrious and across-all-socio levels emotionally supportive population with wise leaders and government celebrating the richness that is small town life in America, but none were in NEWA. In NEWA there is a lack of creativity and certainly few in touch with economic or social reality I'm not exactly sure why. Not much sense of personal responsibility and very little conscience and it's not just the day and age we live in. I have family in those other small towns where I've lived decades ago and their existence is none different today than when I lived there.

Since people like PS90 always view it as big city guys against us small towners, I wanted to be sure you heard me as a life-long small towner. I just don't think PS90 has ever known better and so accepts the status quo because here it does always seem to be that way. Nobody expects any better so they put up with it. Those with backbones to speak up soon wise up and move away leaving the accepting ones behind to wallow as usual. The populations in these small towns--Kettle Falls, Colville, Wenatchee, allow many and various personal and political illegal abuses--any connected big fish here can purty much steam-roll over anyone they so choose (about the only thing locals are creative about is their ability to lie to get their way) and get the local governments and courts to help them do it, laws be damned. (Reminds me of stories of the old west and big cattlemen killing off homesteaders for water rights. And some descendants here are from those big cattleman, so maybe that's the history that founded these towns: go so far as to kill to get what you want. And yes, it can be that awful living here. Shocking what people do to each other without a care in the world and call it small town.) According to PS90 and others I've met that is an acceptable way of life. To anyone who knows different (and I do not shoehorn that into just city folks), they realize it shouldn't be that way and they call it for what it is: corruption.

I have to live here only (Colville) until I retire next year, then I am out of here. I'd advise any normal person who wants to lead a happy life with a true sense of personal security to avoid NEWA small towns.

Old 12-09-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakieHorse View Post
I've lived in small towns my whole life (from pop 200 to 13,000 tops) and I absolutely understand what Dean-O was trying to say and I also know folks just like PS90 who will defend their right to live in a I don't know another word so I'll say "corrupt" small town to their death. And so folks considering moving to anywhere in NEWA Northeast Washington need to be made aware.

Yes, the folks who live in these towns want them to stay small. They have little to no tourism expectations.
And that leads to poor economies. And no influx of new blood. That family tree resembling a fencepost can in some cases create the crazies Dean-O mentioned, but not every small town = Deliverance. I've lived in quality small towns with a useful industrious and across-all-socio levels emotionally supportive population with wise leaders and government celebrating the richness that is small town life in America, but none were in NEWA. In NEWA there is a lack of creativity and certainly few in touch with economic or social reality I'm not exactly sure why. Not much sense of personal responsibility and very little conscience and it's not just the day and age we live in. I have family in those other small towns where I've lived decades ago and their existence is none different today than when I lived there.

Since people like PS90 always view it as big city guys against us small towners, I wanted to be sure you heard me as a life-long small towner. I just don't think PS90 has ever known better and so accepts the status quo because here it does always seem to be that way. Nobody expects any better so they put up with it. Those with backbones to speak up soon wise up and move away leaving the accepting ones behind to wallow as usual. The populations in these small towns--Kettle Falls, Colville, Wenatchee, allow many and various personal and political illegal abuses--any connected big fish here can purty much steam-roll over anyone they so choose (about the only thing locals are creative about is their ability to lie to get their way) and get the local governments and courts to help them do it, laws be damned. (Reminds me of stories of the old west and big cattlemen killing off homesteaders for water rights. And some descendants here are from those big cattleman, so maybe that's the history that founded these towns: go so far as to kill to get what you want. And yes, it can be that awful living here. Shocking what people do to each other without a care in the world and call it small town.) According to PS90 and others I've met that is an acceptable way of life. To anyone who knows different (and I do not shoehorn that into just city folks), they realize it shouldn't be that way and they call it for what it is: corruption.

I have to live here only (Colville) until I retire next year, then I am out of here. I'd advise any normal person who wants to lead a happy life with a true sense of personal security to avoid NEWA small towns.
Dean-O, is that you with a new screenname?

If you feel the need disagree with me, that's fine. Just as I have the right to disagree with you.

And I'm not sure I need to "defend my right to live" anywhere, I was simply giving my opinion. I could easily talk about how much I dislike Seattle, and I am sure someone would reply, saying how much they enjoy living in Seattle, which is fine.

In other words, you are attempting to de-value and ridicule my opinion by making comments like I "don't know any better". Yet you are the one who mentions the "big fish" - do you consider yourself one of the "big fish"? Because, if not, and we are equals, then your opinion is not any more "right" or "better" than mine.

BTW, Wenatchee is not in NE Washington.

Last edited by PS90; 12-09-2013 at 03:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington