U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 03:00 PM

5 posts, read 2,720 times

Advertisements

I'm from Longview, and lived in probably every part of the Longview/Kelso area, save from the Highlands and South K. However, I had friends who lived there, and I would stay the night with them sometimes.

The good:
-The Lake is gorgeous and a great recreational resource. You can fish, run, and kayak there. In the summer, they have the fourth of July festival, which can be fun.
- Easy commute to Vancouver
- The trees are pretty
-The library is nice, with good teen and youth programs.
- Red Leaf is a great coffee shop that even has a children's play center
- The area is getting a lot of people coming in from Vancouver and Portland, which is bringing more money to the area. However, these people all work in Vancouver and Portland, driving up the housing market, but the Longview economy can't really afford it.

The Bad:
- Jobs
-Economy
- Rampant Homelessness. This has become an issue within the past 5 or so years, there are homeless camps everywhere, along the river, under all the bridges, in vacant land. I was running with my dog a few years ago and stumbled on a homeless camp 2 minutes from my house behind some trees. Scared the crap out of some poor man who was sleeping!
- DRUGS. Omg, the drugs are out of control. I have seen needles and crack pipes in every single park in the area, even though they have crews that go and clean them up.
- The schools are pretty terrible.
- Mental Health. Overall, depression and schizophrenia are very high in Longview. I worked in the local community mental health agency, and honestly, the amount of mental health problems is much higher than elsewhere. There are a lot of unmedicated schizophrenic people.
-Access to help for special needs. There is literally ONE doctor that diagnoses Autism in Longview, and no practitioners to help them.
- The hospital. There is one hospital for Longview, Kelso, Castle Rock, Toutle, Kalama, and Woodland. It is your only choice, and it's not a good one.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 11:49 PM

4,088 posts, read 5,198,438 times
Longview (or Kalama) was in the national news today and not in a good way....

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...sabled-vehicle

Old 04-16-2019, 07:24 PM

5 posts, read 2,832 times
I was looking at Longview as a relocation from the Tacoma area. WA state schools are so-so all over the state so I would not expect miracles from a smaller town. I was wondering if teenagers utilize the community college for events or classes? Is there public transportation around town? And or the person who posted about teachers - are there teaching jobs for K-8 educators in the area? WA state keeps saying there is such a need for teachers....how easy is it to get hired in or near Longview?

Old 04-17-2019, 12:09 PM

5 posts, read 2,720 times
There are buses around Longview, but they don't go everywhere. I'm not sure they go up in the hills, and the better areas to live are in the hills, like Columbia Heights or Beacon Hill.

The schools are hit and miss. Beacon Hill (elementary) is technically a Kelso school, but is good. I'd check out Great Schools ratings, I've found them to be pretty accurate.

There aren't a lot of jobs in general in the area. I am not a teacher, but have teacher friends that had to go to Vancouver for jobs.

I'd say if you wanted to be near or around Longview, go to Woodland.

Old 04-17-2019, 06:38 PM

2 posts, read 475 times
Hi,

Im so glad your post isn't from 2012, my name is Veronica, Im from Los Angeles, CA and me and my family plan to move to Longview, I am doing some research and so far im rethinking ... perhaps Longview is not for us, please tell me beautiful things, safe communities, good school, great job opportunities, I look forward hearing back from you

v.cisneros801@live.com

Old 04-17-2019, 06:43 PM

2 posts, read 475 times
Hi,

My name is Veronica, I plan on moving to longview from LA, is it really that bad ? Longview just seem so perfect

v.cisneros801@live.com

Old 04-18-2019, 12:46 PM

4,088 posts, read 5,198,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilling253 View Post
I was looking at Longview as a relocation from the Tacoma area. WA state schools are so-so all over the state so I would not expect miracles from a smaller town. I was wondering if teenagers utilize the community college for events or classes? Is there public transportation around town? And or the person who posted about teachers - are there teaching jobs for K-8 educators in the area? WA state keeps saying there is such a need for teachers....how easy is it to get hired in or near Longview?
I work in the Vancouver area with a teacher who commutes from Longview. Her kids are in the Longview schools and she is fine with them. She keeps threatening to quit and find a job in the Longview schools but hasn't done so yet. Not because there aren't jobs, but I think she is just settled in and doesn't really mind the 35 minute commute down to the North Vancouver area.

It's a blue collar area so schools aren't going to be like they are in say Mercer Island, obviously. But they are decently run and have decent resources. It's probably as good as anyplace to find teaching jobs because it is far enough away from any major city to disuade urbanites from Puget Sound or Portland from applying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington