Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2012, 09:33 PM

61 posts, read 208,884 times

Advertisements

Well, went back to my original idea of moving out to Washington and just got back from a scouting trip last night. I kept trying to find something closer to home (I'm currently in Florida), but was always pulled back to the PNW. Saw Olympia and loved it, think it's exactly what I'm looking for.
Many thanks to Sandy Nelson for all of her help and wonderful information!! I just got an offer on my house in Florida (fingers crossed everything goes well) and it looks like we will be making the move at the beginning of July. We are excited and looking forward to making a home there. Thanks to those of you who I have communicated with and helped with suggestions in PM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 06:40 AM

291 posts, read 948,389 times
Hello traveling gal!
I am so jealous and happy for you. My wife and I have been wanting to make the move to the PNW for a number of years now. There always seems to something that keeps us from doing it. My wife in school, then me in school, economy down, housing market, job market....! Good for you for making the leap!

So if you do not mind my asking, why are you making the move? What motivation factor is driving you? I only ask because I am wondering what it is going to take for us to "just do it"!

My brother and his wife live in Port Charlotte by Fort Meyers. They are looking to move as well. I think they are looking at the Corolinas though. Sounds like the job market is tough there as well. Which part of Florida are you leaving?

I have not been to Olympia but it was one of the places that we were considering as well. My wife's parents lived further north in La Conner which is a couple hours north of Seattle (by Mount Vernon). Would like to make the move out there before I get a whole lot older so we can take advantage of the beautiful outdoors. A couple of visits to visit our parents we went to places where it was difficult for them to get around. I do not want to miss out on things like the hiking trails.

Sorry about the rambling. Please post your progress on your move. Would be interesting to hear about what it takes to move there and the transition to the new digs!

Again, congratulations and good luck!

Peace,
wc@h

Old 05-21-2012, 08:44 PM

61 posts, read 208,884 times
Thank you for the well wishes!

To answer your question the main reason is just basically a need for a fresh start. I'm a military widow and after my husband's passing I came to the Tampa Bay area to be with family, but now it is time to move on. Florida is nice in many ways, but just not for me. We lived in Japan for a time and Washington became a halfway stopping point whenever travelling back and forth to Florida and I just fell in love with the area. This last trip was my first experience with Olympia and I wasn't disappointed at all. I'm happy to keep you posted on the transition, it's all a bit daunting at the moment trying to figure out the logistics of hauling us across the country, but exciting nonetheless

Quote:
Originally Posted by West coast at heart View Post
Hello traveling gal!
I am so jealous and happy for you. My wife and I have been wanting to make the move to the PNW for a number of years now. There always seems to something that keeps us from doing it. My wife in school, then me in school, economy down, housing market, job market....! Good for you for making the leap!

So if you do not mind my asking, why are you making the move? What motivation factor is driving you? I only ask because I am wondering what it is going to take for us to "just do it"!

My brother and his wife live in Port Charlotte by Fort Meyers. They are looking to move as well. I think they are looking at the Corolinas though. Sounds like the job market is tough there as well. Which part of Florida are you leaving?

I have not been to Olympia but it was one of the places that we were considering as well. My wife's parents lived further north in La Conner which is a couple hours north of Seattle (by Mount Vernon). Would like to make the move out there before I get a whole lot older so we can take advantage of the beautiful outdoors. A couple of visits to visit our parents we went to places where it was difficult for them to get around. I do not want to miss out on things like the hiking trails.

Sorry about the rambling. Please post your progress on your move. Would be interesting to hear about what it takes to move there and the transition to the new digs!

Again, congratulations and good luck!

Peace,
wc@h
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington