Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 07:05 AM

15 posts, read 28,050 times

Advertisements

Lilly, I asked my dh to look at your address on east k on the google maps, he is very familiar with that area. He says it is a great family neighborhood. There is a big dog park just a block away that he used to take his dog every day (drive from Hilltop).

Sorry, I started to steer you wrong about that house, again dh, who is active in community group, says this is a "good one".

We would meet your dh on Sunday, but have a wedding to go to. If you have any questions, though, please ask. We live only about three miles from your address you are looking at.

Taco Bell in Fife is out of the way from there, but you will find many other authentic style Mexican takeout and dine in places within just a few miles of e. 44th. Taco Guayamous (sp?) has a couple locations within a few miles, we go there a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 01:44 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,868,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermissy View Post
Lilly, I asked my dh to look at your address on east k on the google maps, he is very familiar with that area. He says it is a great family neighborhood. There is a big dog park just a block away that he used to take his dog every day (drive from Hilltop).

Sorry, I started to steer you wrong about that house, again dh, who is active in community group, says this is a "good one".

We would meet your dh on Sunday, but have a wedding to go to. If you have any questions, though, please ask. We live only about three miles from your address you are looking at.

Taco Bell in Fife is out of the way from there, but you will find many other authentic style Mexican takeout and dine in places within just a few miles of e. 44th. Taco Guayamous (sp?) has a couple locations within a few miles, we go there a lot!
Actually you didn't steer her wrong, you said it was ok depending which street/neighbors.

I have a friend who lives a couple blocks from that area and... well, I wouldn't know that it was a good area from what she says. While she's a true blue Seattle bred person who only brought a house down there because it was affordable, she doesn't like the area and expresses a lot of concerns. She does spend most of her time up in Seattle instead of being involved in the community. I do know she takes her dogs to the aforementioned park and that she plans on sending her daughter to Holy Rosary, instead of the Tacoma public schools. So obviously for her, it can't be too bad, right?

I'm just glad to hear that it just might work out for the OP.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:16 PM

238 posts, read 865,967 times
I wouldn't say the East K Street is the worst area to be. It is just a block from one of the nicest neighborhoods in East Tacoma, Strawberry Hill.

Pluses would be it is close to McKinley Park which was just redone a few years ago and has very active volunteers that take care of the park (on top of the park system). The neighborhood group DomeTop is very active: DomeTop Neighborhood Alliance(DNA) . It is close to Top of Tacoma bar which is pretty popular. Just a block from the Roger's Dog Park. Close to Downtown and freeway access. Close to a library. The area is also somewhat secluded because there are a lot of hills, parks, wooded slopes and not a lot of through traffic.

Minuses: The neighborhood hasn't gentrified that much and McKinley Biz District hasn't really taken off. Hopefully in the next wave of real estate boom it will because it is zoned for multifamily and has some great downtown and water views. It is up in the air what will happen to the former Rogers Elementary & former Gault Middle School in the neighborhood. Both are closed and for sale. Non-profit social service love Tacoma and sometimes they put their best interests ahead of a neighborhoods. The neighborhood did fight back when a church attempted to purchase Rogers and rezone it to allow some kind of social services facility.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:48 PM

3 posts, read 12,245 times
He can contact me, I am active duty Army, but saturdays and some evenings are fine. I live in Hilltop, and am WELL versed in where the bad spots are. Send me a direct message (pm) and I will give you my number. My wife and I purchased an estate sale home here for under $150k, two years ago. We like much about the area, but it does have rough parts. If you are able to live and commute from Spanaway or from Graham, I know some real estate guys out there that have some very inexpensive homes in the $130k to $150k price range. Let me know if I can help.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:46 PM

394 posts, read 1,007,073 times
the first one on park ave is not a great neighborhood but not bad either. a lot of asian folk. the other two i wouldn't hang out in after dark, good luck!

Last edited by scootertrash61; 06-20-2012 at 06:48 PM.. Reason: ...

Old 07-29-2012, 05:49 PM

3,152 posts, read 2,731,166 times
98408 and 98404 are basically good affordable areas. lot's of retail/grocery strores neraby, and very seldom are there cop chases or shootouts.

the better schools are west and north of these zip codes. north tacoma/proctor/stadium, or university place/lakewood.

i have a residence and 2 rental properties in 98404/98408. i'd recommend staying west of mckinley, and wouldn't go south of 72nd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington