Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 07:18 AM

653 posts, read 1,782,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Most folks in Olympia disdained that. They should pay for all the damages they did.

As for the weather, it hasn't rained in over a month. The cloudy and rainy is in the winter time, so dreamy southerners probably should stay put. December is by far the cloudiest.
I'm in your corner on those people paying for the damages.. This is what I heard across America in general. I understand their frustrations, but leaving carnage behind is no excuse.

As for the weather, Your right that December can be the least sunny, but their tends to be a secondary maximum in the spring.. I'm going off of Seattle data though so maybe it's a little different in Olympia. I know that it rains alot more in Dec. than in March-May, you tend to have more of those drizzly days in spring. Keep in mind also, I go off of weather data with typical normals. Unfortunately, I don't have the personal experience of being there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 06:56 PM

4 posts, read 8,013 times
Tacoma soldier, my husband and I (military) are moving to olympia next year. I was just wondering what you meant by "gougers who prey on the military"? Thanks!

Old 09-16-2012, 11:03 PM

11 posts, read 18,019 times
Hey glad to see another person from Oklahoma posting here. We are still on track to make the move in March, lots of getting ready to do still, and I'm not crazy about driving the animals 2000 miles, in a car, with a toddler....however, the prize at the end is 1000% worth it for me.

I hated this summer in Oklahoma, with 115 degree days in July. The heat started early and lasted through most of August. I can't tolerate it any longer. That's why I'm moving, I would welcome the overcast days without the heat and humidity, and the relatively stable temperatures. I'm not being dreamy at all, I consider myself a realist, and have realistic expectations of what to expect. We researched the heck out of the PNW before deciding that is where we were moving. I also know that I'll probably be wearing a long sleeved shirt and jeans much longer than people who have lived there and have acclimated.

No tornadoes, Oklahoma has had a few earthquakes lately too so that's a moot point to me, no hellish thunderstorms, flash flooding, fewer mosquitoes, not a red state, far more liberal, better job opportunities (in my field anyway). The list goes on and on for us. The weather is the biggest reason that we are moving as a matter of fact. As far as tolerability goes, any state that doesn't have literal blizzards in the winter and "frying pan" summers is tolerable to me.

The gray skies give way to blue, the rain brings forth new life, the "greenness" of the state itself, at least it isn't brown grass that died at the end of May, cracked earth from no water, so hot you can't go outside comfortably, with nothing to do outside because it's so hot that when you move you feel as if you are literally dying.

If you couldn't tell, I'm ready to get the heck out of here, and it seems like March won't get here fast enough.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:26 PM

14 posts, read 60,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyinyourradio View Post
Anyway.. hope this is of some help. Hope your move is a fruitful one.
Thanks for the kind words, sorry I haven't updated in a while.

We got here September 17, fell in love with it. However, we arrived in an apparent dry spell, as it was over 80 degrees until a couple of weeks ago. Now there is almost perpetual cloud cover and drizzle/rain.

I'm loving it so far. Definitely a drastic change from hot West Texas. Some changes that stood out to me:
- Very very tall evergreen trees. Nothing even remotely close to this stuff in Midland, TX. Our apartments have GIGANTIC [to me at least] trees all around. It's just beautiful.
- No air conditioning. I expected this well before ever moving here, but it's still kind of funny that the apartments and many places don't even HAVE air conditioners.
- No heater vents. Every apartment or house I've ever been to has had these vents in the floor or on the wall close to the ceiling for venting hot or cool air. Nothing like that here, so far.
- Bike lanes. Lots of bike lanes everywhere. This is a good thing. Just a little hard to adjust to, as I am terrified of running someone over on their bike...
- Comcast... they are truly my bane.

But, as I've said, so far it's amazing. Pretty much the weather of my dreams, now that the extended summer is over. Loving the dark clouds and sun-free skies most of the time.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:04 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,839,592 times
Awesome. Please continue to update us

Old 02-02-2013, 11:21 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,156,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyinyourradio View Post
Want to see some sun? but still enjoy the green lush landscapes that you crave? There are places like Sequim and Port Townsend that are in the "rain shadow" of the Olympics which is about a 2 hour drive from Olympia. They average about 265 sunny days per year verses about 100 days that Olympia receives (most of that July thru September).
I live in Port Townsend and while we only get about 18-19" of rain annually, the winter here is overcast (and damp) most of the time. It's drier than Seattle and Olympia and SOME days it's sunny here when it's cloudy or raining there, but it's not sunny anywhere NEAR 265 days a year. It's over 100 days a year LESS than that. Personally, I like the weather here fine because drier gray is better for outdoor activities than wetter gray, but the idea that PT and Sequim are "sunny" is just not correct in the winter.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 02-13-2013 at 06:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington