Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 08:03 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times

Advertisements

I was caught off guard last week at a State Park as an out of State visitor.

Pulled off the road and was more than willing to pay the $10... just no one around to change my $20... the park was 100% empty... not a single car in the lot.

It there is a charge to park... it would be motorist friendly to have someone at the booth to give a receipt and/or make change.

Ended up leaving after 10 minutes... sign said no fee due for 15 minutes or less... not sure how is is enforced and didn't want to find out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 09:55 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,438,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I was caught off guard last week at a State Park as an out of State visitor.

Pulled off the road and was more than willing to pay the $10... just no one around to change my $20... the park was 100% empty... not a single car in the lot.

It there is a charge to park... it would be motorist friendly to have someone at the booth to give a receipt and/or make change.

Ended up leaving after 10 minutes... sign said no fee due for 15 minutes or less... not sure how is is enforced and didn't want to find out.
That is exactly my problem. When driving through Washington, stopping at parks is more of a whim instead of a destination. Until fairly recently, the closest place that sold the Discovery Pass, that was also open on weekends was way up Olympia. (They have now increased that, and I can get it at Freddies in Vancouver.)

So for me to do this right, I need to have a Discovery Pass, Northwest Forest Pass, and if I'm at St. Helens, another pass just for there. Then I start adding in the Oregon specific passes and it gets expensive pretty quickly for a bunch of passes I'm not sure I'll use every year.

But if I could drive up to the park, and buy the Discovery Pass there, I'm more likely to buy it vs. a single day pass and then look for additional opportunities to use it. But if I don't have exact change, I'm less likely to buy the pass at all.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,392 times
It's simple ... NATIONAL FOREST land which is governed by the U.S. Forest Service (U.S. Department of Agriculture) does NOT honor Discover Pass. Same with National Parks (NPS - U.S. Department of the Interior).

Wash. State land REQUIRED Discover Pass ... Federal land (USFS, NPS, BLM USFWS) you need a whole different pass (NW Forest Pass or America the Beautiful).

Old 07-30-2012, 03:39 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,270,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forester_07 View Post
It's simple ... NATIONAL FOREST land which is governed by the U.S. Forest Service (U.S. Department of Agriculture) does NOT honor Discover Pass. Same with National Parks (NPS - U.S. Department of the Interior).

Wash. State land REQUIRED Discover Pass ... Federal land (USFS, NPS, BLM USFWS) you need a whole different pass (NW Forest Pass or America the Beautiful).
Ummm, your explanation wasn't very simple at all. I can't tell if you are meaning to be sarcastic or not.

On land A, you need pass X, Y, or Z; and on land B or C, you need pass T, U, or V...?

And it gets much worse considering that many of the signs aren't very clear - especially to an "out-of-stater" like the OP, who wouldn't/couldn't know what to look for in the first place.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:58 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,371,813 times
On federal land, you need a federal pass. On state land, you need a Discovery Pass.

If you are someplace with the word "National" in the name, then you are on federal land. If it says "Washington state" or "State", then you are on state land.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:58 AM

3,973 posts, read 5,166,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
On federal land, you need a federal pass. On state land, you need a Discovery Pass.

If you are someplace with the word "National" in the name, then you are on federal land. If it says "Washington state" or "State", then you are on state land.
You only need a Discovery Pass at WA State Parks and DNR land. You will need a Vehicle Access Pass for WA State land such as a WDFW Wildlife Area or Water Access Site. You get an access pass for free when you buy a hunting or fishing license.

The V.A.S. is only good at those places, but the Discovery Pass covers all state lands.

Here's a link to exemptions. You'd think out of staters would be exempt, but it doesn't list them.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:44 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,270,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
You only need a Discovery Pass at WA State Parks and DNR land. You will need a Vehicle Access Pass for WA State land such as a WDFW Wildlife Area or Water Access Site. You get an access pass for free when you buy a hunting or fishing license.

The V.A.S. is only good at those places, but the Discovery Pass covers all state lands.

Here's a link to exemptions. You'd think out of staters would be exempt, but it doesn't list them.
Agreed. These little "fine print" issues are the problem. It is anything but simple. This is exactly what happened to me - I DID have a Discover Pass, but the park ranger thought (for some unknown reason) that my Discover Pass was a Vehicle Access Pass, and ticketed me for it.

After all the phone calls to clueless state "officials" and a half-day wasted in court to challenge that ticket, the judge did indeed drop it, BTW. Too bad, because I LOVE Washington's state parks, but between all these new fees, the constant decrease in state park upkeep/cleanliness, and now this ticketing "mistake" (was it really a mistake?, or an attempt to squeeze every last dime out of people?), I am completely done with any contributions to our park system.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:40 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
And it gets much worse considering that many of the signs aren't very clear - especially to an "out-of-stater" like the OP, who wouldn't/couldn't know what to look for in the first place.
Well, the problem was she was talking about St Edwards Park where there are CLEAR and MULTIPLE signs that obviously either s/he must pay 10 dollars or have that pass. I mean, heck, before you can start on your walk on the trails, there's a sign reminding you to make sure you pay (or have the pass).

And how much of an "out-of-stater" is s/he if s/he's been living here in this state since January and they didn't start the pass/pay requirement around March-April with plenty of notice (at the parks, TV/Radio commercials, newspaper, et.c)?

I'm not saying I agree with the Pass/Pay system the state has set up, but oh well... I just don't go anymore.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:14 PM

101 posts, read 201,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Well, the problem was she was talking about St Edwards Park where there are CLEAR and MULTIPLE signs that obviously either s/he must pay 10 dollars or have that pass. I mean, heck, before you can start on your walk on the trails, there's a sign reminding you to make sure you pay (or have the pass).

And how much of an "out-of-stater" is s/he if s/he's been living here in this state since January and they didn't start the pass/pay requirement around March-April with plenty of notice (at the parks, TV/Radio commercials, newspaper, et.c)?

I'm not saying I agree with the Pass/Pay system the state has set up, but oh well... I just don't go anymore.
I'm an out of state visitor when I have an out of state license plate. When I have a Washington state license then i'm not a visitor. Pretty simple concept to everyone else.
I've never heard the discovery pass advertised anywhere before and I have one.

What's your point really? To belittle me more? You've already said a half a dozen times you agree with how the system is working. Move on.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:17 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
If I read the link correctly, vehicles with disabled licensed plates are exempt... wonder if the exemption also applies to out of state disabled plates?

I do miss the simpler days...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington