Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2007, 01:10 PM

26 posts, read 165,751 times

Advertisements

I am a Seattlite considering moving to Olympia or Bellingham. A friend just moved from Seattle to Olympia and she is shocked by how much more smoking there seems to be in Olympia. Any info on smoking in these areas would be appreciated. Even the smell of cigarette smoke on a person's hair can be a migraine trigger for me. So, being around as few smokers as possible is VERY important. Also, if anyone can add any info on smoking in Alaska, since Anchorage is also a consideration, I would appreciate it. TIA:^)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 01:40 PM

130 posts, read 322,927 times
There aren't too many smokers in Bellingham and since the statewide ban, it's getting better.

How do you move around so easily? Do you rent houses? Do you have pets? Kids? I would love to move out of town, but can't seem to do it as easily as some. What's the secret?

Old 10-03-2007, 12:53 PM

3 posts, read 9,042 times
Default Olympia smokers

Hi, I lived in Olympia for 17 years. I moved in 1998, but I noticed while living there that there were more smokers there than any place I had ever lived before. Since it rains so much and the smokers are banned from smoking in buildings, they would all huddle right next to the entrances of buildings and puff their lungs away. I had young children then, and I hated to be around smokers. Also since Olympia is the state capitol, I think state and city workers tend to smoke more? I hate to stereotype people, but when I moved to WA state from southern CA, I noticed way more smokers and obese/overweight people. All the rain WA gets makes people stay indoors most of the year and maybe that's why?

No matter where you live, you'll have to deal with smokers, unfortunately.

Old 10-03-2007, 04:52 PM

424 posts, read 2,696,336 times
I don't think it's the government. I work in Sacramento, CA and in my office (state gov) of 42 people there is only one smoker. But the cold and wet theory may still be a good one, since it's warm and dry here......

Old 10-04-2007, 08:28 AM

301 posts, read 823,100 times
My teens were shocked and amazed at the number of older folks, smokers, and overweight/obese people in SW Michigan, as compared to Denver and Seattle. On a trip to Bellevue Mall, after being in Kalamazoo for a year, they were walking around stunned at all the fit, young, people in Bellevue. Needless to say, they will be pleased when we leave Kazoo, on that score.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:16 AM

1,024 posts, read 4,137,763 times
I just had a friend visit from Florida, who commented on the amount of people who smoke here in Olympia. Now that she pointed it out, I notice it more frequently, especially in down town Olympia.

Sandy

Old 10-04-2007, 10:16 AM

149 posts, read 1,022,360 times
I haven't spent much time in Olympia, but Bellingham definitely is not a smoker city. I thought California was the nonsmoking state, but when I moved there from Bellingham, I noticed much more smokers here compared to Bellingham. You are practically an outcast smoking in Bellingham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington