Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 01:02 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,048,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I believe Filipinos make the largest or the 2nd largest asian population in the Seattle area.

I think it's third. The 2006 U.S. Census Bureau has the top three Asian population groups in Seattle as:

1. Chinese
2. Vietnamese
3. Philipino
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 03:52 PM

255 posts, read 1,195,774 times
I know that there are Filipino folks around the Marysville area - and yes, I had met some of them who worked at the Naval Station in Everett but I didn't know they settled in Eastern Washington and Central Washington for that matter too. Interesting stuff. I can see that the weather of Eastern Washington would be more agreeable to folks used to the heat of the Philippines.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:19 PM

506 posts, read 2,574,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
I think it's third. The 2006 U.S. Census Bureau has the top three Asian population groups in Seattle as:

1. Chinese
2. Vietnamese
3. Philipino
FWIW, I see a LOT of Koreans here on the Eastside. Big Russian/Ukranian presence too (especially in Everett). I still haven't seen many flips since my last post either except maybe in church.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:21 PM

216 posts, read 1,006,693 times
Washington state has the 3rd highest Filipino poulation in the USA behind California and Hawaii. Filipinos make up the 2nd largest Asian group in the USA behind Chinese.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:43 AM

12 posts, read 64,061 times
Default You forgot an important place, Canadian friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline View Post
Wow, coulda fooled me. I don't see many in the Eastside or Seattle. I do see more of them further south (e.g. Auburn) or further north (e.g. Marysville) and also a lot are affiliated with the Navy.
Filipino-Americans live everywhere in Seattle. Many are independent, not relying on traditional community support you see from other asian cultural groups. That is why you don't see them galivanting around the city supporting Filipino businesses. We support any business that has good value.
I travel plenty around the area and what I see is MORE Filipinos living on the east side than Auburn! There are other places too: Beacon Hill, Rainier Valley, Bremerton/Silverdale, parts of Tacoma, Suquamish Reservation, and Bainbridge Island.
Shoot man, there's a dag-gone bridge linking downtown with Beacon Hill named after Dr. Jose Rizal! And a cool park overlooking downtown adjacent to it! That's the one in front of the Amazon.com/PacMed building.
There is no big concentration of Filipinos like a "chinatown" and there really are no stereotypes that are prevalent. We have been so a part of Seattle's famed history that being Filipino up here means first and foremost you consider yourself a standing member of that community first. Is that not what it should be, here in America? How is it in Canada?

Old 07-22-2008, 11:36 AM

12 posts, read 64,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegal View Post
Our family lived in the Philippines for 8 years from 1984 to 1992 and I'm wondering if there are any Filipinos who are members or visitors to this forum and wonder what do you think about living in Washington state after the heat of the Philippines? It's definitely not cold, and wet and sometimes snowy there. Well, except in Baguio. How do you cope? And do you ever get to return home - balikbayans? What kinds of pasalubongs do you take? Are you able to find Filipino food here in Washington? If you have older family members with you, have they been able to assimilate? Are there many Filipinos in your area and do you find Filipinos from other parts of Washington to meet and get to know? Has anyone ever returned home because Washington was too cold, too wet, too (something)......?
The humidity is plenty here in Seattle. The colder climate, to me, is a God send. I like how there are almost always four distinct seasons instead of two.

Going to visit the PI- It's relatively easy to purchase a ticket for balikbayan purposes. The pasulobongs you MUST bring back should come from Pike Place Market. You probably can't send fresh flowers back but one of the few florists that have stalls in there is Filipino operated. My girl goes there for the nice quick arrangements they do. Bring back some Nordstrom shoes. They don't have Nordstrom's in the PI yet and if your friends and family are from the big city of Manila, assume that they have big city tastes and want to show off material goods like most Manila peeps would.

Food- the normal turo-turo joints are everywhere. If you MUST support a turo-turo joint for your foodie fix, go to Kusina Filipina on Beacon Ave. It is hard not to grab one of the many Phil-themed books off the shelf and read while chowing down.

Relatives that are older- bring them to Pista' Sa Nayon festival during SeaFair. Pagdiriwang is another annual Festival located in the Seattle Center/Space Needle area. Another place for older Phils to get accustomed to Seattle culture are the many events that the local Filipino community groups host all around the city. I can't name them all but there are three I know of: United Ilocanos of Puget Sound, the Pacific Northwest Ilocandia Association, and the Filipino Community Center.

Different areas, a different Fil-Am culture: In the Seattle/Eastside corridor, you will find Filipino culture in almost every aspect of society. Many are of the yuppie crowd who engage in city life with a great passion for enjoying all that the material world has to offer. They are only tethered to reality by their contemporaries that are actually contributing TO Seattle pop culture. You want a good pasulobong, get the BAYANI CD from the local hip hop group "Blue Scholars". MC Geologic of said group speaks on topics that are important for our generation. Check out Circle of Fire and the Massive Monkees for your breakdance fix. They have achieved world champion status. Also, it is important to note that MANY movers and shakers in the Seattle nightlife scene are Fil-Am, too.
If you want a more disciplined type of Fil-Am with a more conservative outlook, go to Bremerton/Silverdale, Tacoma, or Everett. This type of Fil-Am culture is less flashy until it comes to constitutional rights.

Returned to sender------many Filipinos move up here to Seattle to get away from the California Fil-Am culture and realize that they cannot assimilate easily so they move back to sunny california. We see them around, we hear their complaints, and they hate the fact we don't see California as the center of the earth. They wonder how Filipinos can live up here in misery but I don't see it that way. This climate tempers the soul and reminds us PNWer's that life can't always be bright. That is why you will see Filipinos here more practical in their expense of emotional cache than California will ever be. Call us a-holes, I don't care. We love it here and glad we are not Californicated.
I have many friends and family who came to WA, bought a home, then promptly moved out once the wet and cold weather hit later that year.

Hope that helped, Aussiegal. If you want more info, feel free to find me on this site. Semper Fidelis.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:25 PM

2 posts, read 5,038 times
Wow this is an old post, but welcomed non the less. I found my father and uncle's name on the passenger list landing in Seattle on a Merchant Ship. They both had listed as their destination, Filipino American Club. I would love to see if I could track their name on a list of visitors or members. The only problem is that it was many years ago, about 1918. Is their anyone that would know if there exist a list somewhere in Washington Seattle area? Do you know a contact I can connect with? If so let me know so I can make note in my family history journal. haha Yeah it was a long time ago. lol PS: Any families who's parents were there during this time and know stories about what was going on at that time in the filipino community, I would love to hear them.

Last edited by Maria Zao; 09-29-2012 at 05:33 PM..

Old 10-25-2012, 05:34 PM

983 posts, read 1,181,109 times
My gf is filipina

We live in Marysville and there are quite a few Filipinos in this area. She has dozens of filipina friends around Seattle.

Most seem to live about 30 miles south of us in the Seattle - metro area

Old 09-03-2013, 10:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,565 times
i am interested to find filipino female friends or a couple in victoria, seattle washington I am living in new york

Old 09-17-2015, 07:37 PM

2 posts, read 2,396 times
I'm new here and I'm in federal way..
I want to have filiino friends, any Filipino living here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington