Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2012, 09:00 AM

7 posts, read 28,902 times

Advertisements

I know traffic on South Hill's Meridian is awful and horrid but at typical rush hour hours, is there a directionality to it? My husband will be working south of all of it, in Eatonville, and I'm trying to figure out what neighborhoods are reasonable so he isn't sitting too long on Meridian each day or is Meridian such that there is traffic both directions all day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 10:41 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,911,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmvh View Post
I know traffic on South Hill's Meridian is awful and horrid but at typical rush hour hours, is there a directionality to it? My husband will be working south of all of it, in Eatonville, and I'm trying to figure out what neighborhoods are reasonable so he isn't sitting too long on Meridian each day or is Meridian such that there is traffic both directions all day?
I live in Graham, and have to deal with Meridian traffic through Puyallup every time I shop and go into Seattle or Tacoma. Depending on where you plan to live, you can avoid SOME traffic on Meridian - if heading south, by taking 39th Ave SW to 94th St E to 152nd St and hooking back up to Meridian; if heading north, doing the opposite.
But to answer your question, I have not yet (after living here nearly a year) figured out a directionality, nor have I found a "down time" to the traffic, which seems awful morning, noon and night... Maybe someone who has lived here longer, or who actually lives in Puyallup, can better answer the question.
I will say this: once you are clear of South Hill, traffic is a breeze on the 161. Good luck!

Old 07-19-2012, 09:22 PM

Thanks. I retread my message and should have been clearer - we're contemplating living as far south on South Hill as we can so he'd have to dear with a bit but I'm wondering about the directionality in case we aim for an older home further north OR if I end up commuting via the commuter train and need to get to downtown Puyallup daily.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:05 AM

22 posts, read 118,040 times
In the morning everyone is heading north on Meridian and getting on 512 then 167 northbound. Traffic is gridlock from about 6-8 at this time in the morning.

Then around 2-4ish in the afternoon heading south on 167 and then Meridian is also gridlock.

So if you worked out in Eatonville and lived in Puyallup you would be fine because you would be hitting the reverse commute.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:00 AM

103 posts, read 780,914 times
I see you choose moving towards civilisation rather than living in the country.Meridian is a straight shot from eatonville to puyallup.Remember there are no jobs in eatonville or graham to speak off.That means people that live there are driving from there in the am heading north towards puyallup etc and returning in the pm.Starting at 3pm meridian gets ugly.Traffic exits Highway 512 at the south hill mall where meridian bends and heads to downtown puyallup.Now you have all these people that are making there way home towards graham.Traffic gets congested from the mall which is around meridian/112th and loosens up around meridian and 160th,gets even better when most traffic turns on to 176th of meridian.After 176th/meridian traffic is ok until 224th/meridian intersection also downtown graham lol where everybody splits up.From there to eatonville it is it's mostly you and nature with deer and black ice to worry about.
If you choose puyallup to live you'll get the small town feeling with sidewalks,pretty Victorian houses and lots of flowers.Also a hospital and plenty of Dr's.The puyallup school district reaches from puyallup to meridian and 160Th roughly where bethel school district starts and continues to 304Th and meridian.Eatonville school district starts from there.
If you choose to live closer to graham of meridian you end up in a new or older subdivision with lot's of shopping.
If you choose graham you have plenty of elbow room in a home or mobile home on land or a new subdivision and very little shopping.
I see from your other post that schools are on top of your worry list.I give bethel school district an A and puyallup school district A+.
More questions?Just ask.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:24 AM

Yes, we are definitely leaning towards Puyallup as a place to live vs. Eatonville. My husband already has a job, in Eatonville, and I'm just trying to figure out how far north along Meridian we can live without him being a victim of rush hour, something he would not deal well with.

I do not have a job yet and I like that Puyallup affords another level of flexibility with the train to points north. I've commuted by train in Chicago and given the right position, I'd be willing to do it again.

Schools are definitely our primary concern. What are the main differences between Puyallup and Bethel school districts? My husband had a very traditional small town high school experience and I had a high school experience in the close-in DC suburbs with every opportunity under the sun. Not sure what will be best for our children (they are only going into second grade) but I'm definitely looking for a school with either strong AP offerings or an IB program.

Thanks! The children fly out next Tuesday and I'll start driving within a day of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington