Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 12:40 PM

60 posts, read 315,425 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised by the many comments from people on here about how bad Tacoma is. I've only lived here for a little more than 2 years but I really don't think it's bad. Are there areas of Tacoma that are bad? Sure. There's areas of every city that are bad. I feel very comfortable leaving my house after dark. I go to downtown Tacoma at night *gasp* to eat dinner at the many great restaurants down there as well. I don't feel scared! I love the shops and restaurants on 6th Ave too. I see many families walking in the afternoons and evenings pushing babies in strollers all throughout Tacoma.

I feel safe here. There are some school districts that I would rather live in but again, I think that is common for all cities. I'm just getting annoyed by the Tacoma bashing going on most likely from people that do not live here or haven't lived here in 10+ years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 03:21 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,326,009 times
Yeah, Tacoma is really on a upward path (after admittedly bottoming out pretty badly). I do think that much of the city really does have a long way to go yet, but the tend is definitely upward (especially near downtown - where there has been vast improvement). I do think that many folks impression of the downtown Tacoma area is a bit out of date nowadays. For a long, long time, Tacoma has been a bit of a laughingstock around here - in part because of the smelly pulp mills that were there - being nicknamed things like "Tacomoaroma" etc. The worst of those views are indeed starting to become out of date - with the city improving dramatically in almost everyway (including the offensive odors), but it's going to take a while for the overall attitudes of folks around here to change.

Ken

Old 10-01-2007, 06:58 PM

4,472 posts, read 3,824,488 times
well there was just a shooting there...

Old 10-01-2007, 07:49 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,191,955 times
I'm moving to Wa. My brother use to live in PDX and swears to me Tacoma is a good place to live.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:57 PM

534 posts, read 3,111,243 times
Tacoma is definitely in a state of flux. It's funny that the downtown area *has* improved over the years yet areas that used to be *really* nice (imo) like the stadium area have gone downhill as well as the area around the mall (imo of course). Rt 7, well what can you say.

Schools are the big issue for families, but for single/dinks it's not a bad place. On many levels I think Tacoma offers way more culture and personality than Seattle does, but that may be moreso motivated by my tastes in music.

Overall though, if you take out the violent crime statistic, it feels like it has improved.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:27 PM

721 posts, read 2,609,987 times
I lived in the Seattle area for seven years before moving back in 2001. I have gone backa few times to visit friends and many of them have moved to Tacoma, Federal Way etc. As far as I am concerned Tacoma is very much on the rebound.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:17 AM

16 posts, read 104,194 times
Tacoma AND Olympia are a POOR place to buy or rent: Pick your poison--if you buy, pay $300,000 for a house (that will need improvements). If you rent, you expect to pay $750 for a one-bedroom. Look at the Apartment Bluebook...ugh.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:43 PM

4,472 posts, read 3,824,488 times
Just remember there was a shooting at The Tacoma Mall...And a shooting at Foss High school...One person killed. There was a double shooting October 1st, and a shooting at a Lakewood bar.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:56 AM

5,475 posts, read 12,243,697 times
Yes and a shooting in a neighborhood just a few blocks from the Tacoma Mall last weekend.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:01 AM

60 posts, read 315,425 times
Yes, there was also a couple of shootings yesterday in Seattle, a rape, a few arsons a few weeks ago, some hate crimes going on, etc...

Again...it happens everywhere! Not just Tacoma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington