Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 05:08 PM

16 posts, read 104,180 times

Advertisements

Because of the ridiculously high price tagged to owning a house in Washington (it's not that I can't afford it, it's just that I'm not willing to shell out a zillion dollars for a decent house.) RVs have came a long way from ever since they were first introduced. They have full bathrooms, kitchens, a bedroom or two, TV and a computer workstation and on and on for under $50,000 in most cases. Add a tow vehicle (mine is a Dodge 2500 Cummins) and you have yourself a portable home.

What I want to know is, is this a wise choice? How much does an RV park charge? Are there year-round RV parks? And, what I've always been wondering about: how long can you comfortably take a shower?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 06:49 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,043,053 times
Wise choice? Probably not if you're doing it just for a living quarters. It's a depreciating asset. If you're into the RVing lifestyle where you travel quite a bit and like to drive and see places, then it's an expensive hobbie.

RV parks charges are really dependent upon the location and season. Yes, you can rent a space on a month to month lease for as long as you'd like. In some parts of the country, you can buy a space in a park. You'd be also paying H.O.A. monthly fees to boot. Many of them in the southwest are pretty expensive.

Rents for parks around the western Washington area range from about 400/mo. for a more "trashy" park where spaces are close together and management sometimes doesn't really keep the place up as well as it could be. These less expensive ones are difficult to find.

The better parks will charge somewhere in the range of $500-700. Actually, these are also difficult to find and will take making reservations quite far in advance. Let's face it, RV parks in the immediate Seattle area are at a premium and a lot have closed in the past few years.

With "full hook-ups," you can take fairly long showers and the time is only limited to the size of your heater tank. For one person, you can take a good 10-15 minute shower before water turns luke warm. Without full hook-ups, you should be taking the type of shower you'd associate with being in the Navy; soap up and rinse because you'll want to conserve your general fresh water tank and with no sewer hookup, you'll be limited as to how much water you want going down the drain because that's being stored in a tank too. If you're in an RV park, you'll have full hook-ups with city water, sewer, and electricity (power they'll usually bill you separately because they will have a meter on it).

When I have the chance, I'll DM you more information if you'd like.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:43 AM

1,049 posts, read 4,006,380 times
I lived in an RV for my last few months in WA, I now live in it in MO while I'm training for a new job. I'm pretty mobile these days.

As to living in an RV "full time" and in plance, just to save money, why bother? Just rent a home, a home would cost a few hundred per month more, but it'd be more comfortable, IMHO.

If intend to travel the area occassionally, then go for it, but RV living does have it's drawbacks, I like it, but I live by myself now.

Tony

Old 10-04-2007, 08:42 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,825,943 times
If you like living in a trailer in a trailer park, you will probably like living in an RV in a RV park.

Old 12-05-2007, 01:53 PM

2 posts, read 82,050 times
Default rv living

Where is the best place if you work in seattle to live in a rv park year round and how much does it cost per month? ot
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
Wise choice? Probably not if you're doing it just for a living quarters. It's a depreciating asset. If you're into the RVing lifestyle where you travel quite a bit and like to drive and see places, then it's an expensive hobbie.

RV parks charges are really dependent upon the location and season. Yes, you can rent a space on a month to month lease for as long as you'd like. In some parts of the country, you can buy a space in a park. You'd be also paying H.O.A. monthly fees to boot. Many of them in the southwest are pretty expensive.

Rents for parks around the western Washington area range from about 400/mo. for a more "trashy" park where spaces are close together and management sometimes doesn't really keep the place up as well as it could be. These less expensive ones are difficult to find.

The better parks will charge somewhere in the range of $500-700. Actually, these are also difficult to find and will take making reservations quite far in advance. Let's face it, RV parks in the immediate Seattle area are at a premium and a lot have closed in the past few years.

With "full hook-ups," you can take fairly long showers and the time is only limited to the size of your heater tank. For one person, you can take a good 10-15 minute shower before water turns luke warm. Without full hook-ups, you should be taking the type of shower you'd associate with being in the Navy; soap up and rinse because you'll want to conserve your general fresh water tank and with no sewer hookup, you'll be limited as to how much water you want going down the drain because that's being stored in a tank too. If you're in an RV park, you'll have full hook-ups with city water, sewer, and electricity (power they'll usually bill you separately because they will have a meter on it).

When I have the chance, I'll DM you more information if you'd like.

Old 12-05-2007, 01:54 PM

2 posts, read 82,050 times
Default rv living

I work in seattle and have recently relocated to the area, I wanted to know what would be the best year round rv park and what are the costs involved? Patrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by concorde View Post
Because of the ridiculously high price tagged to owning a house in Washington (it's not that I can't afford it, it's just that I'm not willing to shell out a zillion dollars for a decent house.) RVs have came a long way from ever since they were first introduced. They have full bathrooms, kitchens, a bedroom or two, TV and a computer workstation and on and on for under $50,000 in most cases. Add a tow vehicle (mine is a Dodge 2500 Cummins) and you have yourself a portable home.

What I want to know is, is this a wise choice? How much does an RV park charge? Are there year-round RV parks? And, what I've always been wondering about: how long can you comfortably take a shower?

Old 12-07-2007, 02:11 AM

199 posts, read 1,513,163 times
You can buy a RV spot (its like a condominium, with nothing on it) and live there half time at lost lakes RV park in Nisqually (google it). I can't think of any RV parks in Seattle proper... at least not in the areas I frequent. Good luck

Old 12-07-2007, 10:34 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,043,053 times
I believe the absolute closest one to Seattle is the one in Eastgate. It's right along I-90 on the south side of the highway ...pretty close to the emissions station.

It's crowded and in high demand because of its proximity to Seattle. I think it caters to the transient crowd ...those who are just passing through as opposed to the one that want to stay all year long.

I'm thinking that it would be over $800/month if you can even get a space to begin with.

DM me if you'd like their contact information or if you'd like more suggestions.

Old 12-08-2007, 02:10 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
You might consider my plan...
get acreage with home and add a shop out of sight of home; put an apartment in the shop + RV hookups. Rent the house and acreage to provide for taxes / equity and Maint, and live in the shop / rv when you are in WA, then hook up and head out when it gets too much for you. (you legally can not have a "range" in the apartment if zoned single family, BUT... Microwaves work well, and I also have a range in a roll around cabinet that plugs into my welder outlet... It is my 'Canning' stove . They aren't concerned about stuff on wheels (nor can they tax it...)

or

do this on a commercial place. Many areas are now zoned allowing residential above retail / commercial. Your commercial rents will be triple net, covering most of your expenses, and you can reserve a residential unit for yourself. There is a good example at the Castlerock exit up by the Subway sandwich joint. Mixed use, with a garage to. I've seen this done large enough for RV, or... rent as "flex / business incubator space" when the price is right. If you end up getting over $2.00 / sf; the positive cash flow will then pay for a nice spot on the beach for your RV, or your rent / house payments / taxes on a small home. - We need to become smarter than the system.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:42 PM

1 posts, read 40,473 times
janb-how are you doing in finding what your looking for? i'm looking for the exact thing. it's hard finding land that doesn't cost an arm and leg. let me know how your doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington