Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 01:39 PM

29 posts, read 107,750 times

Advertisements

Without being blasted, do you know of areas in WA that have a low hispanic/latino population? We are from Houston and looking for a fresh start. We are open to TRUE diversity (African, Eastern/Western Europe, Asian). Just not ALL spanish/latino/hispanic.

For those of you who think that Houston is a diverse area, I rarely hear any other language than spanish being spoke. So, please keep the rude comments to yourself. I'm asking a serious question about the state of WA and places to live.

Other factors we would like in our decision:
4 distinct seasons/low humidity.
Unique shopping/dining experiences - there are nothing but strip centers out here.
Mass transit is ok - tired of driving.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:54 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,649,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amywynn View Post
Without being blasted, do you know of areas in WA that have a low hispanic/latino population? We are from Houston and looking for a fresh start. We are open to TRUE diversity (African, Eastern/Western Europe, Asian). Just not ALL spanish/latino/hispanic.

For those of you who think that Houston is a diverse area, I rarely hear any other language than spanish being spoke. So, please keep the rude comments to yourself. I'm asking a serious question about the state of WA and places to live.

Other factors we would like in our decision:
4 distinct seasons/low humidity.
Unique shopping/dining experiences - there are nothing but strip centers out here.
Mass transit is ok - tired of driving.
The only communities in WA that have a high percentage of Hispanics are in rural agricultural areas. Mt. Vernon, Yakima, Wenatchee, Tri Cities, Walla Walla etc in particular. If you are looking at Seattle, the highest % of minorites are Asian. Seattle is Lily White to be sure.

Here;s the pie chart on Seattle.

As to humidity. Well I spent way too much time in Houston, so I know your pain. The humidity in WA occurs in the winter typically in the form of rain or snow in the mountains or in E WA.

If you;re looking to escape oppressive humidity and heat, this is the right place

Old 11-01-2011, 02:16 PM

29 posts, read 107,750 times
Thank you for your information without judgement

Old 11-01-2011, 05:23 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,042,755 times
Bill,

Hispanic is NOT a race. That is why it does not show up in your chart.

Many Mexicans, however, consider themselves to be a distinct race. For example, they cannot wrap their heads around the fact that I am a Latino by birth, though of European origin. South America is about 20-25% European particularly in the more developed countries. Most Mexcians have not been south of Mexico!!

So all census data for Hispanic's has a high data error.

King County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

For King County the Hispanic population is just under 10%. I suspect most are of Mexican origin, rather than Latino's of European origin!!

PS: The census numbers show that 20% of King County is foreign born, compared to just under 12% for Chelan County. But then King County is much more segregated by income so foreign population is just not as visible as in eastern Washington.

Last edited by 509; 11-01-2011 at 05:33 PM..

Old 11-01-2011, 05:37 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
DISCLAIMER: OP, I am Latino and only speak Spanish once a month if I'm lucky, and I will note that your post comes off as pretty offensive to me (as would asking for low populations of any race or linguistic background would). There are many more like me, and many Latinos who don't speak a word of Spanish at all.

Bill is right if we're talking about 2000, but that was 11 years ago, and his Seattle pie chart doesn't include Latinos.

I have been summering/vacationing in the Seattle area for my whole life, and Seattle has exploded in terms of Latinos and Spanish-speaking population from 1990 to today. In the 1990's, finding anyone that spoke Spanish or that was Latino was pretty difficult. Today, it is done without effort in many areas, as they have clustered together in neighborhoods, and many local businesses cater to Latinos (in some areas).

Play around with this to see the transformation (for any area in the US). Of particular note, is South Everett and the rest of southern Snohomish County (an area north of Seattle/King County). I've noticed an increase throughout the area, however.

I would say Seattle is the place if you are looking for "true diversity", but be prepared to hear a multitude of languages spoken by people of all races.

As for the rest of the state, other cities/towns (besides the ones Bill listed) that have high Latino populations are Moses Lake, Woodland, Dayton, Omak, and Vancouver.

If you want virtually no diversity (mostly white/English speaking areas), Spokane, Pullman, and Clarkston are areas that would give you that, and these are the only areas that will give you a true four seasons climate, along with low Latino populations. Unique shopping/dining experiences will be limited though (those can only really be found in/around Seattle/Portland -- unless you'd consider a downtown mall a unique experience {Spokane has that}). Spokane also has a bus system, but any type of transit in Pullman and Clarkston would be limited (these are smaller towns).

Old 11-01-2011, 08:36 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,568 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Working in Seattle I very rarely here Spanish being spoken. Most of the foreign languages I hear are various Asian, Indian, and middle eastern. During the summer tourist season add to that a lot of European languages. In certain areas like Bellevue I hear eastern European a lot.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:35 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,561,895 times
Seattle is the whitest place I've ever seen.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:17 AM

1,632 posts, read 6,842,905 times
Yes, and I've noticed that even over the past five years or so, the Mexican and Central American food has gotten noticeably better (i.e., authentic) in the area as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I have been summering/vacationing in the Seattle area for my whole life, and Seattle has exploded in terms of Latinos and Spanish-speaking population from 1990 to today. In the 1990's, finding anyone that spoke Spanish or that was Latino was pretty difficult. Today, it is done without effort in many areas, as they have clustered together in neighborhoods, and many local businesses cater to Latinos (in some areas).

Old 11-02-2011, 07:32 AM

1,717 posts, read 4,649,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelinWA View Post
Yes, and I've noticed that even over the past five years or so, the Mexican and Central American food has gotten noticeably better (i.e., authentic) in the area as well.
Hear, hear!

Old 11-03-2011, 09:07 PM

121 posts, read 292,433 times
Default Lilly white is not about skin color; it's about lifestyle!

Is it the Aye Aye Aye German Oompa music with the accordian, brass and string guitars or what? Is it the Latino Rap boom boxes? Is it the peasant Spanish spoken? Latinos encompass many races, from Europeon, Spanish, German, Asian and Indigonous, to name a few. In Mexico, Mexicans of Spanish ancesters tend to put down the "Indians". They call them "El Indios". I think that maybe we're not trying to escape the "Latinos" but rather the "Peasant Indios" who are indigioness to Mexico, Central America and South America. I think we are also trying to escape the hispanic "gangland mentality" and all that goes with it. I think it's more a matter of "cultural sophistication" as opposed to race. Maybe we're just trying to escape the uneducated, uncouth, unwashed , impoverished, and emotionly stunted masses! Some of my best friends are "sophisticated" Latinos. We can't draw a line around a race and call it done. The line is and always shall be drawn around "class." Are you like me? You're not!? It's complicated, but we need to figure out what it is that scares us about not being the majority race in the USA. Jobs, wealth, entitlelment? Just my 2 cents!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington