Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 03:59 PM

10 posts, read 89,162 times

Advertisements

Please Help Me Decide: Washington State Coast vs. Oregon Coast for Retirement

I would appreciate your help if you have experience on the coasts of both of these beautiful states.

Yes, I’ve seen some posts that touch on this subject, but I’m going to get very specific in my preferences in the hopes that you might be able to speak to some of them with experience and honed judgment.

This is my situation:

I have lived in California for over 60 years, mostly in urban and suburban areas; now I want to retire to a home on the coast of either Washington State or Oregon. I want the things in the list below. Please help me out, even if you don’t agree with my preferences. We’re all different and valuable, don’t you think?
1. A view of water.
2. I don’t need much more than 50% of the days to have sunshine, but more would be okay.
3. Fast food restaurants available within a 15-to-20-minute drive.
4. Privacy, at least in that the homes are not butting up against each other.
5. Internet access, even if via satellite.
6. Decent medical care facilities within 15-to-20-minute drive.
7. Low crime rate.
8. A peaceful environment.
9. Reasonable housing costs. I’ve read that Washington is cheaper than Oregon, that Oregon is cheaper than Washington, and that they’re virtually identical for similar properties. Do you have actual knowledge of this, please? I know about the tax differences, so you needn’t address them.
10. Less than hurricane-level winds.
11. If possible (not a necessity), an airport, even a small one, with 25 miles.

I would be extremely grateful for a thoughtful, experienced reply.

. . . Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 05:48 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,704,977 times
I will let others chime in but I believe if you're looking for 50% or more of sun, you would need Southern Oregon.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:53 PM

353 posts, read 934,278 times
Easy answer - Oregon.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:10 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,770,851 times
Not much sun on the coast. You have to go a bit inland to reach your 50%. Toldeo, OR gets more sun than nearby Newport, OR for example. You may have to take road trips in-land to get your sun if you really want a Pacific view.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:23 PM

Thanks to those of you who have answered so far. Maybe I overstated my need for sun. Let's call it 25% of the time so I don't miss out on somehwere just because the sky isn't clear. I do love overcast days, too.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:39 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Do some research on Brookings, Oregon. We're in WA but thinking about Brookings in a few years after staying there a couple of days. Both states coasts are pretty much away from the better medical facilities but you'd be near Crescent City CA and not too far from Grants Pass, and a unique, comfortable climate.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:37 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,770,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachssci View Post
Thanks to those of you who have answered so far. Maybe I overstated my need for sun. Let's call it 25% of the time so I don't miss out on somehwere just because the sky isn't clear. I do love overcast days, too.
If you take away weather, then the areas closest to your criteria would be places within 25 minutes of Astoria-Seaside, Newport-Lincoln City, and Coos Bay.

The Washington coast is mainly flat in the populated coastal areas, so less view properties than the hillier Oregon coast.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:14 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,473,761 times
I'd think the county seat of any coastal county would have medical facilities. Maybe not the most complete. My father bought a tiny piece of land with a shack near Waldport when he retired. Lived pretty much like a hippie for years.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:38 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Oregon has 100% public Access Beach, far different than many states

As you may be well aware.... Beaches = significant probablity of fog / weather changes

Southern OR or No CA would be most livable and scenic. I would consider a HIGH location on a mtn NEXT to the beach. There you can watch the weather from above the fog, and bask in sunshine.

RE: taxes (property)
Always visit the tax assessor BEFORE you choose to look for specific houses. ANYWHERE you choose. I pay $12,000 / yr on a WA house (that used to be $800/yr). and I bought another in a different county and less than a minute away... taxes = $1000/yr (and going UP of course...) CA Prop 13 would keep me HOME if I had advantage of it. After the CA immigrants arrived enmass in the early 90's (after major SF area quake). I calculated the way they rose the property taxes were 30% of my take-home pay... CA immigrants chased me from Colorado in the early 1980s (Due to property taxes on my farm raising 300%).

CA would have done us all a favor if they would have kept the GAINS from personal residences, and ONLY allowed the 'Average home price in other 47 states to leave CA. I have mny friends / family who have lost their farms and ranches and homes in all the western states due to property taxes from artificially inflated prices due to fleeing CA equity. (Largest issue was when you HAD to reinvest gains. Many of my CA co-workers were adding indoor swimming pools, guest houses, brick doghouses ... just to spend their gains. realtors knew it and were happy to take $500k for homes that were worth $250k. Then,,, WE all suffer Property tax increases for life.

On the good side, you can get REALLY cheap rates on NORTHBOUND rental trucks in Jan - March, as CA transplants head BACK like a parade. We have taken advantage of that to haul northbound loads very economical in winter.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:00 PM

Default Interesting Take

Hi. Thanks to all of you for your assistance. I'm still very intersted in others' opinions on this topic.

StalthRabbit, yours was a most interesting take on things. Thanks for taking the time to respond. The northbound truck comment was really unusual! I may just take advantage of the info!

. . . SMS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington