U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 08:26 AM

40 posts, read 228,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Port Hadlock is another area popular with retirees, with more money than Sequim as home prices are higher, and there are very few amenities. It's a very small town, maybe 3,000 people, and the median income is low, despite the high home prices. I think people have sold homes in even higher priced areas and had good down payments to keep their payments low enough to make it on a pension.
Hmm, well I do want somewhere where there will be lots of families so that someday when I have kids they'll have other kids to grow up with! So maybe port hadlock isn't for me? Its so beautiful though. Would you reccomend anywhere better based on my original post? Thanks for your time I appreciate it
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcalgal View Post
I have a friend who lives in Port Hadlock and she said it is mostly retirees who live there.
That's too bad, I do want somewhere where there will be many peaople raising families. So maybe this isn't the right place. Would you suggest anywhere better based on my original post? Thanks for taking the time to respond

Old 08-22-2012, 12:23 PM

6,170 posts, read 6,129,703 times
Port Hadlock has its share of retirees but on average it is much much younger than Seqium with lots more families with kids (more than twice the rate). That is the main reason I mentioned it. The housing cost data I see says Sequim and Port Hadlock are close to the same level.

All the places I mentioned are small and safe and yet most are something of a regional center for commerce for that area and might make a good base for a doctor's office. They all seem fairly pleasant when I have passed thru them.

I am a bit pressed for time. If you use the search tool you can find out lots about this places and be sure to plug their names in here too //www.city-data.com for more data.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:57 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
28,760 posts, read 47,912,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwestlove View Post
So why is lynden hard to break into exactly, do they not really like newcomers? ....
No not at all, I think the folks there are great, and I have and find many friends each trip.

They are farmers / Dutch Reformed, thus conservative and care for their own (like other faiths). Some of my friends who were there so their kids could go to school, mentioned there are decades of family 'ties' that make it a bit tough to be REALLY close to ALL in the community.

Some posters on C-D depise the 'faith's AND LYNDEN. Some have had very rotten experience there. (search the WA thread if you dare). I wouldn't bother... it will fit you, or it may not. YOU need to do the legwork to decide.

As always in life... BE CAREFUL who you follow... (I prefer to lead, even tho I've gone off a few cliffs)

Old 08-24-2012, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Port Hadlock has its share of retirees but on average it is much much younger than Seqium with lots more families with kids (more than twice the rate). That is the main reason I mentioned it. The housing cost data I see says Sequim and Port Hadlock are close to the same level.

All the places I mentioned are small and safe and yet most are something of a regional center for commerce for that area and might make a good base for a doctor's office. They all seem fairly pleasant when I have passed thru them.

I am a bit pressed for time. If you use the search tool you can find out lots about this places and be sure to plug their names in here too //www.city-data.com for more data.
No worries, I won't take up any more of your time. I do really apreciate your advice, it's been extremely helpful. Take care! Thanks again.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
No not at all, I think the folks there are great, and I have and find many friends each trip.

They are farmers / Dutch Reformed, thus conservative and care for their own (like other faiths). Some of my friends who were there so their kids could go to school, mentioned there are decades of family 'ties' that make it a bit tough to be REALLY close to ALL in the community.

Some posters on C-D depise the 'faith's AND LYNDEN. Some have had very rotten experience there. (search the WA thread if you dare). I wouldn't bother... it will fit you, or it may not. YOU need to do the legwork to decide.

As always in life... BE CAREFUL who you follow... (I prefer to lead, even tho I've gone off a few cliffs)
Oh okay, that makes sense. I'm planning a trip around WA hopefully for next month, me and a couple friends are going to do some climbing/hiking in a few different areas so I may just have to insist we stop through there! Thanks for taking so much time to help me out!

Old 08-24-2012, 11:48 AM

6,170 posts, read 6,129,703 times
Since you have followed up and are thankful for the replies, I will add a bit more at your request.

Stanwood is pretty and in a good location, close enough to the Seattle metro for most but rural enough for most too. If you make a good income it appears to be a nice place to live.

Eatonville seems like a tight net community. I have several former work acquaintances who grow up there or live there now and they like it. It is pretty in an farm area near enough to the mountains way.

Port Hadlock WA I've already discussed a bit. Once could even have their office in Port Townsend, Sequim or even south of there in a larger community and commute to and from Port Hadlock if it all made sense to you.

Silverton has been highly praised by several folks at the Oregon forum. I don't know a lot about it but I did poke around there for a weekend and thought it was nice enough if one could find work nearby.

Monmouth and Brownsville OR, I've mainly just read about and briefly passed thru, but I am pretty confident that they pretty good for what you are looking for.

Good luck narrowing it down.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:15 PM

I'm excited to explore these areas! I think I mentioned it before, but I am going on a small roadtrip around washington to do some hiking/climbing, and I'm deffinitely going to talk my friends into stopping at some of these places haha. Port hadlock really got my attention though, it seems like somewhere I'd enjoy living. Its amazing some of the replies I've gotten in another thread that I posted about the same thing but in oregon...I got a lot of really skeptical or negative replies, saying that I'm too young to think about this, its pointless to plan so far ahead, or that I won't get a job in my dream town, etc. Can't a girl explore a little ? So I really do appreciate you helping me.

Old 08-24-2012, 02:00 PM

23 posts, read 43,569 times
Hi all! Great and interesting thread! I may be on the wrong thread here (please redirect me if I am!), but my son-in-law has been interviewing with Boeing. The position (so far, he's in the pipeline for several) is at their Pallyup location. I am wondering if you can give me advice about cities in that area. Our situation would be two separate households (could be three, if our 25 y.o. son relocates as well). One would be my daughter, her husband and 8 mo. old baby. She will probably eventually work with Boeing also. So things like the commute to work, definitely schools and quality of life for a young family (crime rate, churches available, also they are interested in returning to more cultural activities - symphony, etc. - since we've lived away from them for awhile). Hubby and I will also be coming. We are 50+; hubby works from home and I watch my grandson. We are very active - enjoying many of the same things Northwestlove mentioned (outdoor activities - for us it's RVing, hiking, and motorcycle riding). We came from small towns (15,000) and would love a place that felt like community. Hoping for one that's not - as one of the posters described - "hard to break into". We've spent the last 15 years as non-Southerners living in the South and know all about that way too well. It's true that Southerners are kind and gracious people, but if your Daddy and your Daddy's Daddy aren't from a certain place, or if you don't recall that Homecoming Game back in '97, it's hard to feel like you really belong. Thanks everyone! Look forward to hearing from you, and like I said, if I'm on the wrong thread, please let me know! Thanks!

Old 08-24-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NV2TN2AL View Post
Hi all! Great and interesting thread! I may be on the wrong thread here (please redirect me if I am!), but my son-in-law has been interviewing with Boeing. The position (so far, he's in the pipeline for several) is at their Pallyup location. I am wondering if you can give me advice about cities in that area. Our situation would be two separate households (could be three, if our 25 y.o. son relocates as well). One would be my daughter, her husband and 8 mo. old baby. She will probably eventually work with Boeing also. So things like the commute to work, definitely schools and quality of life for a young family (crime rate, churches available, also they are interested in returning to more cultural activities - symphony, etc. - since we've lived away from them for awhile). Hubby and I will also be coming. We are 50+; hubby works from home and I watch my grandson. We are very active - enjoying many of the same things Northwestlove mentioned (outdoor activities - for us it's RVing, hiking, and motorcycle riding). We came from small towns (15,000) and would love a place that felt like community. Hoping for one that's not - as one of the posters described - "hard to break into". We've spent the last 15 years as non-Southerners living in the South and know all about that way too well. It's true that Southerners are kind and gracious people, but if your Daddy and your Daddy's Daddy aren't from a certain place, or if you don't recall that Homecoming Game back in '97, it's hard to feel like you really belong. Thanks everyone! Look forward to hearing from you, and like I said, if I'm on the wrong thread, please let me know! Thanks!
I don't mind you sharing my thread at all! haha. I can't talk extremely confidently about your question, but if I were in your position I would look at Orting, WA. Its about 20 minutes away and it looks like a fairly nice & pretty town. Personally, I would stay as far from tacoma as possible because it has a lot of crime/gang/drug problems from what I've heard from pretty much everyone. So probably not the best place to raise a child. I would look east of Puyallup. If I were you I would probabaly Check out Bonney Lake, Rhododendron Park, Buckley, and Enumclaw (pretty much places on the way to Enumclaw.) I've heard enumclaw is great. Again, I don't know a ton about these places that's just what I would do. Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington