U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2012, 11:26 AM

40 posts, read 228,342 times

Advertisements

I'm shannon, I need some advice!! I have been looking at places all over washington but its hard to know what they actually are like without having lived/been there. I love the outdoors, I want to live somewhere beautiful and green and surrounded with mountains/forrest/lakes where I can hike, mountain bike, kayak, etc. I'm looking for the ideal place for kids to grow up, that's really the most important thing. Low crime, low population(2-10,000 ish), and quite a ways (an hour at least) from seattle or portland. I want to live somewhere that's still in pretty good shape economy wise, not about to become a ghost town or anything. Mostly I've been looking at places on the olympic peninsula, or north of seattle(sequim,mt vernon, tracyton, grapeview, elma, everson, lynden, sudden valley, bellingham, etc). Though I'm deffinitely open to other areas!! Even Oregon if you have any knowlege matching what I'm looking for. I've lived in Vancouver my whole life. It has its good and bad features, but I'm really done withl the crime/drug problem that's developing here due to its proximity to Portland and the rising population. A lot of people I knew in high school are into alcohol or hard drugs now, its very sad because this used to be such a nice place but I couldn't imagine raising a family here. I am 21 & going to school to be a doctor, I know its a ways away because I have to get through school first but I've been with my boyfriend for 4 years now and we want to have a place in mind when the time comes. Any input would be great!!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 08:18 PM

6,093 posts, read 6,001,431 times
I won't give pros & cons but I will based on what you said suggest you also look at places like Stanwood, Eatonville, Port Hadlock WA; and Silverton, Monmouth, Brownsville OR.

1,000-10,000 pop is challenging for many types of Docs and even more so if there is strong rooted competition. But good luck for school and deciding. Take some exploration trips and take at least one rotation in a small town before you decide.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:01 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
28,446 posts, read 47,466,355 times
Since you are 21... Fairhaven.

When you have 4 kids needing GOOD EDU and you are a bit more willing to accept 'the virtues of a SOLID community', you can go up the road to Lynden for their EDU, then back to Bellingham / Fairhaven for your 'retirement' / empty nest yrs.

Otherwise migh just might recommend Camas. But understood, that at age 21, THAT is much too close to home. Being close to Vancouver BC is REALLY nice.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Since you are 21... Fairhaven.

When you have 4 kids needing GOOD EDU and you are a bit more willing to accept 'the virtues of a SOLID community', you can go up the road to Lynden for their EDU, then back to Bellingham / Fairhaven for your 'retirement' / empty nest yrs.

Otherwise migh just might recommend Camas. But understood, that at age 21, THAT is much too close to home. Being close to Vancouver BC is REALLY nice.
Thanks for the advice I appreciate it. Yeah, I don't really like camas in all honesty. It smells terrible everywhere for one, and a big ugly paper mill isn't something I personally want to look at every day!! Haha I know people that live there & I've heard the schools arent the greatest either. Plus its still too close to portland for me.. Though a great city with a lot of culture, the crime is very bad. I hear almost every week it seems like someone gets murdered...and Heroin has gotten so big here its crazy to me. I know nowhere is perfect, I just really want to get out of here! haha. Lynden looked really nice. I deffinitely want to visit that area, I've been to bellingham a few times but don't really remember it Because that was years ago. I haven't heard of fairhaven but I'll deffinitely look into it. Is there anything you can tell me about fairhaven and lynden (i.e. Why they are good places to live)? & Yes I agree Vancouver BC is a beautiful city. Thanks again for reading my post, I really appreciate it!
-Shannon

Last edited by northwestlove; 08-22-2012 at 12:03 AM..

Old 08-22-2012, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
I won't give pros & cons but I will based on what you said suggest you also look at places like Stanwood, Eatonville, Port Hadlock WA; and Silverton, Monmouth, Brownsville OR.

1,000-10,000 pop is challenging for many types of Docs and even more so if there is strong rooted competition. But good luck for school and deciding. Take some exploration trips and take at least one rotation in a small town before you decide.
Yes, I do realize its very competitive. Luckily primary care is a bit more in demand than most other specializations (especially in smaller towns) and that's what I really want to do! I'm confident that if I work hard I can find somewhere great to settle down. Plus, If I work in a rural community the government will pay for my student loans, so I'm determined to make it happen. I appreciate your advice, I deffinitely want to explore these areas of Washington that I haven't seen yet. I looked briefly at eatonville, it seemed to be a pretty nice town. I'll look at the other cities you suggested, thanks so much for your help! Is there anything you can tell me about these towns? I dont want to bother you with every detail, just what makes them good places to live?
Thanks again

Shannon

Old 08-22-2012, 12:20 AM

Oh wow, (sorry I know I'm replying again) I just looked at some pictures of Port Hadlock..It's beautiful. I think I'm in love! It looks similar to sequim. I loved everything about sequim, then I started reading all these posts saying it is primarily a retiree spot. Do you know much about Port Hadlock, though?

Old 08-22-2012, 03:18 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
28,446 posts, read 47,466,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwestlove View Post
Thanks for the advice ... Lynden looked really nice. I deffinitely want to visit that area, .. I haven't heard of fairhaven but I'll deffinitely look into it. ...I agree Vancouver BC is a beautiful city. ...
Fairhaven is a SMALL town, but basically adjoins Bellingham, it is very cute and trendy, and trys to keep a seperate identity (and you might appreciate that comeing from Suburban Vancouver USA.)

Lynden is VERY conservative Dutch Reformed / Dairy and Fruit farmers. BUT... has excellent schools and many tranplant there JUST to give their kids that advantage. It is a tough community to break into, but it can be good for the right situation (and little crime).

Vancouver, BC, I am not keen on the sites, BUT it offers an International experience unequaled in western USA. (good for kids to experience). If I were to make better choices and had kids coming along... I would MOVE to an international destination where School and Language is important (like Singapore / Malaysia / Hong Kong / Denmark / Sweden / Norway ...) Your kids will be MILES (km) / decades ahead of the generically educated US HS grad.

At age 21, you might need employment / career / lifetime earnings. Olympic Pennisula could be VERY disappointing for that quest in life. There are plenty of drug issues in MOST of those counties. Island County would be good if you can afford it and find work.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:08 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
35,991 posts, read 65,494,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwestlove View Post
Oh wow, (sorry I know I'm replying again) I just looked at some pictures of Port Hadlock..It's beautiful. I think I'm in love! It looks similar to sequim. I loved everything about sequim, then I started reading all these posts saying it is primarily a retiree spot. Do you know much about Port Hadlock, though?
Port Hadlock is another area popular with retirees, with more money than Sequim as home prices are higher, and there are very few amenities. It's a very small town, maybe 3,000 people, and the median income is low, despite the high home prices. I think people have sold homes in even higher priced areas and had good down payments to keep their payments low enough to make it on a pension.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:17 AM

260 posts, read 717,477 times
I have a friend who lives in Port Hadlock and she said it is mostly retirees who live there.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Fairhaven is a SMALL town, but basically adjoins Bellingham, it is very cute and trendy, and trys to keep a seperate identity (and you might appreciate that comeing from Suburban Vancouver USA.)

Lynden is VERY conservative Dutch Reformed / Dairy and Fruit farmers. BUT... has excellent schools and many tranplant there JUST to give their kids that advantage. It is a tough community to break into, but it can be good for the right situation (and little crime).

Vancouver, BC, I am not keen on the sites, BUT it offers an International experience unequaled in western USA. (good for kids to experience). If I were to make better choices and had kids coming along... I would MOVE to an international destination where School and Language is important (like Singapore / Malaysia / Hong Kong / Denmark / Sweden / Norway ...) Your kids will be MILES (km) / decades ahead of the generically educated US HS grad.

At age 21, you might need employment / career / lifetime earnings. Olympic Pennisula could be VERY disappointing for that quest in life. There are plenty of drug issues in MOST of those counties. Island County would be good if you can afford it and find work.
So why is lynden hard to break into exactly, do they not really like newcomers? Haha. And that's an interesting point, but I don't think I could ever leave the PNW I love it too much! Fairhaven sounds nice. Thanks again for all your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington