Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 02:10 PM

872 posts, read 2,029,605 times

Advertisements

Wow, I am so shocked at the Moderator cut: see note in this thread. Go to the Seattle forum and on a weekly basis you see "30 year old african american, looking to live near other africans" or "Asian looking for Asian neighborhood" or "Indian, need to be near Indian stores".

So all of you throwing a fit, ****!

Now, OP, it really honestly depends on your income...what can you and what do you want to afford? There are plenty of areas in Seattle (or Portland, for that matter) that aren't racially diverse and offer much lower crime rates...however, the price of low crime is high cost of living.

Last edited by Count David; 01-22-2013 at 08:16 PM.. Reason: find a nicer word next time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 03:09 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,305,849 times
Just try to steer clear of the Hanford Nuclear Reserve areas of the state (southeastern Washington).

Hanford = the most contaminated site in the Western Hemisphere.

Food for thought, and good information to have. Don't take Pickle's word for it though--check it out for yourself!

Old 02-11-2013, 05:23 PM

78 posts, read 154,006 times
It's no crime to want to live in a less diverse area in your retirement, lots of retired people look for a place like that. It all comes down to personal preference and there is nothing wrong with that. I haven't lived in WA but am interested in living there. I've visited and I fell in love with the Olympic coast. Poulsbo is amazing. It's small-ish, quiet, near water and not too far from the mountains. I'm not too clear on the diversity but I am sure you could look it up on this site. I visited Bremerton but spent so little time there that I couldn't tell you much other than the part I saw was charming. Hope you find what you are looking for.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:50 PM

419 posts, read 656,406 times
Go to Eastern WA. Not as pretty but not as gloomy as what we have in Western WA. I have been here since 1983 - SEattle area. I am ready to leave - not because of the rain but the gloom.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:47 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,665,161 times
What a convoluted thread.

People go where they feel accepted. Once they put their opinion out on here, they are immediately discarded as racist or bigoted. That is unfair.

Go where you feel comfortable. You are not on earth to change opinions on bigotry. While you can accept others of other races and cultures, that doesn't require you to live next door to them. (OK, this is not politicallly correct, but if it is reality for you, then go where you will live comfortably.) Life is too short to do anything less.

I am not encouraging seperation, or bigotry, but I am encouraging people to do to what makes sense to them. And this includes multi-cultural communities, which I support.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:13 AM

28 posts, read 68,060 times
Default The OP said he was white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmition View Post
When you say "not a racially diverse area" do you mean mostly white or would mostly black/Asian/Indian/Hispanic be okay?
The OP said he was white. Does that answer your question ???

As for those who want to bash the OP for wanting a less racially diverse area, perhaps he wouldn't mind that diversity if he could understand their slang/speech and if there weren't so many minorities with a gangland attitude. I know that's how I feel, and I'm a Caucasion married to a Filipina, which makes ours an "inter-racial marriage". The major qualities which attracted us to each other were that we're both conservative, respectful Christians. The race factor was really no factor at all. It was the attitude and behaviour. Perhaps it's the same situation with the OP!

BTW - we're also considering Eastern Washington for our new home. Cost of living, crime, attitude of the people there and weather are the major draws to us.

Can anyone give me some info regarding inexpensive apartment or house rentals? We'd be happy with a studio, even a mobile home. Thanks in advance!

Old 02-25-2013, 09:38 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,029,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandySurles View Post
The OP said he was white. Does that answer your question ???

As for those who want to bash the OP for wanting a less racially diverse area, perhaps he wouldn't mind that diversity if he could understand their slang/speech and if there weren't so many minorities with a gangland attitude. I know that's how I feel, and I'm a Caucasion married to a Filipina, which makes ours an "inter-racial marriage". The major qualities which attracted us to each other were that we're both conservative, respectful Christians. The race factor was really no factor at all. It was the attitude and behaviour. Perhaps it's the same situation with the OP!

BTW - we're also considering Eastern Washington for our new home. Cost of living, crime, attitude of the people there and weather are the major draws to us.

Can anyone give me some info regarding inexpensive apartment or house rentals? We'd be happy with a studio, even a mobile home. Thanks in advance!
Well, I may have been one who appeared to be "bashing" the OP but I see that he did clarify what he meant in another thread in the Idaho forum and it sort of followed what you are saying.

However, the OP hasn't been back to this thread.

I'd advise that you start a new thread. I'm not even sure what location you are asking for advice pertaining to inexpensive apartment or house rentals. Eastern Washington covers a huge area.

(This is only my opinion and my opinion does really mean that much)

Old 03-03-2013, 11:33 PM

307 posts, read 560,201 times
Default Re: Why should I retire in WA...?

To gsc3zny: You might want to look at a place to enjoy the best of both worlds: Vancouver, WA. It's right at the southern tip of Washington state...a stone's throw away from Oregon. Washington state has no income tax...and Oregon (a very short drive just across the Columbia River and you're in Portland, OR), has no sales tax. Relatively good climate, green environment, lots of exciting places to go, near a major airport hub, and of course...a lot of diversity. Sorry, I believe you didn't want to live in a racially & ethnically diverse location? Try heading farther north...maybe Bellingham? Very low mix ethnic population. You'll see a lot of very mix groups (Punjabs, Chinese, Filipinos, etc) in large stores (Walmart, Costco, tc) though; but no worries, they keep pretty much to themselves...and most are from Canada and they come down just to shop and head right back across the border.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:14 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStraight View Post
To gsc3zny: You might want to look at a place to enjoy the best of both worlds: Vancouver, WA. It's right at the southern tip of Washington state...a stone's throw away from Oregon. Washington state has no income tax...and Oregon (a very short drive just across the Columbia River and you're in Portland, OR), has no sales tax. Relatively good climate, green environment, lots of exciting places to go, near a major airport hub, and of course...a lot of diversity. Sorry, I believe you didn't want to live in a racially & ethnically diverse location? Try heading farther north...maybe Bellingham? Very low mix ethnic population. You'll see a lot of very mix groups (Punjabs, Chinese, Filipinos, etc) in large stores (Walmart, Costco, tc) though; but no worries, they keep pretty much to themselves...and most are from Canada and they come down just to shop and head right back across the border.
You're kidding, right? A lot of racial/ethnical diversity? Vancouver is hardly that much more "diverse" than Bellingham.

Even if Vancouver itself doesn't work for him, the rest of the area would work just as fine.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:15 AM

307 posts, read 560,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikikans View Post
It's no crime to want to live in a less diverse area in your retirement, lots of retired people look for a place like that. It all comes down to personal preference and there is nothing wrong with that. I haven't lived in WA but am interested in living there. I've visited and I fell in love with the Olympic coast. Poulsbo is amazing. It's small-ish, quiet, near water and not too far from the mountains. I'm not too clear on the diversity but I am sure you could look it up on this site. I visited Bremerton but spent so little time there that I couldn't tell you much other than the part I saw was charming. Hope you find what you are looking for.
Kikikans: When you get a chance, check out the very north areas of Washington state. You like small, quiet, near water and near mountains? We have it all. From the bay, a grand view of the Canadian cascades. From the harbor...clear view of White Rock...that looks so near you'd think it's part of Washington. It's in Canada. On a clear day...marvel at the sight of majestic, snow clad (even in July) Mount Baker (has ski resorts). Check out areas from Bellingham on up to Blaine. Take a few days off and spent it in the area. We stayed a week and went all over the place. Loved it...and we stayed. I live in Blaine. A small town, no traffic lights, no parking meters, no stores...just kidding. We have a few..and even fewer restaurants. But if you have to work for a living (unless you're financially independently) don't expect to find too many jobs around. There is a large, combined elementary, middle and high school in town...so there must be lots of young families with children living in the area...that means, they must be working/earning a living as well. You like nature? It feels like living in a forest around here. Wilderness? When you have to shoo the deers away from your yard...you know you're very close to wilderness. Bellingham is our biggest city (besides Vancouver, Canada). It has most of the big stores and restaurants found in bigger cities...like Seattle..but without the madness and crazy traffic. Diversity (I mean racial/ethnic) is not too big in this area. For the most part, of European origins. The many different groups you see in big stores, Punjabs, Chinese, other Asians...are mostly folks from Canada coming over just to shop. We have the best of both worlds...natural environment and all the amenities of a big city...in a smaller scale. You may even find the far northwest a lot more affordable than the Seattle area. Crime? I live in a small community of single family homes...I haven't heard of anyone getting robbed...yet. I think the most criminal activities around are traffic violations, illegal border crossing and occasional property trespassing. I'll have to check the police blotter to see if there's been any such activities lately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington