Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 12:37 AM

307 posts, read 560,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
You're kidding, right? A lot of racial/ethnical diversity? Vancouver is hardly that much more "diverse" than Bellingham.

Even if Vancouver itself doesn't work for him, the rest of the area would work just as fine.
I hope you're basing your argument on having personally lived in those places. I was referring to the racial/ethnic diversity found at Vancouver's next door neighbor city...Portland. Even so, Vancouver, WA metropolitan area is much larger than Bellingham...and has a greater diversity of population than Bellingham...and a larger industry base. Most ethnic groups in Bellingham are of European origin. A few Hispanics and even fewer Asians. I am a volunteer ESL teacher...and those I teach are non-English native speakers....a handful of Hispanics, a couple of Asians, 1 from India. Hardly enough to be considered "a lot". Sure...whatever area suits him is fine. I merely provided information based on my personal experience having lived/and been to those places. That's what this forum is for, isn't it? To share ideas, information, recommend, suggest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 12:24 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStraight View Post
I hope you're basing your argument on having personally lived in those places. I was referring to the racial/ethnic diversity found at Vancouver's next door neighbor city...Portland. Even so, Vancouver, WA metropolitan area is much larger than Bellingham...and has a greater diversity of population than Bellingham...and a larger industry base. Most ethnic groups in Bellingham are of European origin. A few Hispanics and even fewer Asians. I am a volunteer ESL teacher...and those I teach are non-English native speakers....a handful of Hispanics, a couple of Asians, 1 from India. Hardly enough to be considered "a lot". Sure...whatever area suits him is fine. I merely provided information based on my personal experience having lived/and been to those places. That's what this forum is for, isn't it? To share ideas, information, recommend, suggest?
My husband grew up in Vancouver and still has family and lots of friends there. We are frequently visiting Vancouver. My husband would be the first to say that if one is looking for racial/ethnic diversity, Portland/Vancouver metro is not the place to go. (Census says that Vancouver has only a mere 4% less white population than Bellingham.)

It is otherwise a fine place. Though given PDX's idealogy--> that city wouldn't work for him. Vancouver could definitely work for OP, but the outer areas would be more ideal for him.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:24 PM

78 posts, read 154,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStraight View Post
Kikikans: When you get a chance, check out the very north areas of Washington state. You like small, quiet, near water and near mountains? We have it all. From the bay, a grand view of the Canadian cascades. From the harbor...clear view of White Rock...that looks so near you'd think it's part of Washington. It's in Canada. On a clear day...marvel at the sight of majestic, snow clad (even in July) Mount Baker (has ski resorts). Check out areas from Bellingham on up to Blaine. Take a few days off and spent it in the area. We stayed a week and went all over the place. Loved it...and we stayed. I live in Blaine. A small town, no traffic lights, no parking meters, no stores...just kidding. We have a few..and even fewer restaurants. But if you have to work for a living (unless you're financially independently) don't expect to find too many jobs around. There is a large, combined elementary, middle and high school in town...so there must be lots of young families with children living in the area...that means, they must be working/earning a living as well. You like nature? It feels like living in a forest around here. Wilderness? When you have to shoo the deers away from your yard...you know you're very close to wilderness. Bellingham is our biggest city (besides Vancouver, Canada). It has most of the big stores and restaurants found in bigger cities...like Seattle..but without the madness and crazy traffic. Diversity (I mean racial/ethnic) is not too big in this area. For the most part, of European origins. The many different groups you see in big stores, Punjabs, Chinese, other Asians...are mostly folks from Canada coming over just to shop. We have the best of both worlds...natural environment and all the amenities of a big city...in a smaller scale. You may even find the far northwest a lot more affordable than the Seattle area. Crime? I live in a small community of single family homes...I haven't heard of anyone getting robbed...yet. I think the most criminal activities around are traffic violations, illegal border crossing and occasional property trespassing. I'll have to check the police blotter to see if there's been any such activities lately.
Thanks. I will keep that in mind. It looks like career wise we won't be heading that way anytime soon. sniff. But once certain things are accomplished we hope to test the waters out there some day. I will keep this in mind. Thanks

Old 03-06-2016, 03:02 PM

5 posts, read 4,803 times
Default Look at the Kingston WA, Poulsbo Areas

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsc3zny View Post
I am looking to retire in 6 years. I will be leaving Ca and am looking for a lower cost and nicer better run state then CA. I have been looking in Trulia at Tacoma area as well as Spokane. I am looking for low crime, good health care, not a racially diverse area. I am white, so what. Flame me if you want, at least I'm honest.
Hello, I think the Kingston WA and Poulsbo Area will have what you are looking for. Paulsbo is like a dutch-german town where every other street is named meyer or Fjord Meyer. People are very environmentally conscious and the heritage is interesting with a mix of Europeons (for many generations) but are primarily white, and then Native American Indians. Both are are excellent partners in respecting nature and the environment. It is beautiful here, very low crime - think the germans. Even though Kingston is a little Hillbilliie and eclectic in that you may have a mobile home next to a million dollar home, the hillbillies in the area are actually loggers and they are very very nice people. You are lucky to have them as Neighbors. People in this area keep to themselves so you can have and afford an absolute sense of privacy in low density living areas - especially in Kingston while it lasts. There is nothing high brow out here and nobody cares about what you look like (wear to dinner) or how much money you have. I grew up in CA and we moved here 0ver 10 years ago and have never looked back. CA should be renamed little Mexico and would be just handed over to Mexico so that they can pay for the 60% of all of the immigrants that sign up for and stay on welfare indefinitely - this is a fact that can be looked up and validated. This is the primary reason why we left. Between that and the gang banger culture - we were done. Don't care if this post gets backlash from the liberals who are absolutely clueless about what is going on in CA. You should look to buy your land and home now though because prices are just going to go one way and that is up. So, start downsizing, saving, get rid of our cable in lieu of netflix as that is 1200 per year x 6 years...it all adds up. I wish you well. Look up the demographics in Poulsbo and and Kingston. I think you will be pleased.

Old 03-06-2016, 03:18 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,282,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In the forest View Post
Hello, I think the Kingston WA and Poulsbo Area will have what you are looking for. Paulsbo is like a dutch-german town where every other street is named meyer or Fjord Meyer. People are very environmentally conscious and the heritage is interesting with a mix of Europeons (for many generations) but are primarily white, and then Native American Indians. Both are are excellent partners in respecting nature and the environment. It is beautiful here, very low crime - think the germans. Even though Kingston is a little Hillbilliie and eclectic in that you may have a mobile home next to a million dollar home, the hillbillies in the area are actually loggers and they are very very nice people. You are lucky to have them as Neighbors. People in this area keep to themselves so you can have and afford an absolute sense of privacy in low density living areas - especially in Kingston while it lasts. There is nothing high brow out here and nobody cares about what you look like (wear to dinner) or how much money you have. I grew up in CA and we moved here 0ver 10 years ago and have never looked back. CA should be renamed little Mexico and would be just handed over to Mexico so that they can pay for the 60% of all of the immigrants that sign up for and stay on welfare indefinitely - this is a fact that can be looked up and validated. This is the primary reason why we left. Between that and the gang banger culture - we were done. Don't care if this post gets backlash from the liberals who are absolutely clueless about what is going on in CA. You should look to buy your land and home now though because prices are just going to go one way and that is up. So, start downsizing, saving, get rid of our cable in lieu of netflix as that is 1200 per year x 6 years...it all adds up. I wish you well. Look up the demographics in Poulsbo and and Kingston. I think you will be pleased.

Don't worry, fella. Once President Trump gets that big ole wall built all us whiteys can breathe a big sigh of relief.

Last edited by lluvia; 03-06-2016 at 03:20 PM.. Reason: spell

Old 03-06-2016, 08:42 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Idaho?
South Idaho...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington